Notices

Preparing for a night without sleep

Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Preparing for a night without sleep

I go back to work tomorrow and have a 13 hour shift starting at 5 in the morning. I've tried to quit drinking before and insomnia is always a huge problem. As I've been drinking and waking up around mid-day it seems really unlikely I'll get any sleep tonight and it has me worried.

As I called in sick at the weekend due to being drunk that's not really an option.

Anyone else struggle with this? Any tips on getting through.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Insomnia stinks! Fortunately mine only lasted about 8 days. Its so common we have a whole forum on it:

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Depending on your job...you can usually power through a day w.out much sleep...

Sleep after.work though...just go home...eat and sleep...dont wait and try and stay up...

Don't drink booze...
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Melatonin helps me get to sleep.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Resetti View Post
Any tips on getting through.
I won't lie, it's probably not going to be pleasant, and there is no magic pill or method that can reduce the process of withdrawal. Time is the only true healer, but trying to rest and drinking lots of water/eating healthy food can help.

Just as a side note, if this is your first attempt at quitting and you are going to be doing it cold turkey you might want to see a doctor to be safe. Or at least let those around you know what's going on so you can get help if you need it.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know you'll be glad to get through this day, Resetti. I've been there many times. Just hold on to the knowledge that this too shall pass - and you will heal and rise above the bad times. Thankfully, you never have to feel this miserable again. Let us know how your day goes.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having trouble sleeping is part of withdrawal. I survived it, you will too

I've gone long periods of time with very little sleep. It's annoying, but it won't hurt you - it's just a little uncomfortable.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Resetti
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do this Resetti!! . . . you never have to go through this again!!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just as a side note, if this is your first attempt at quitting and you are going to be doing it cold turkey you might want to see a doctor to be safe.
I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon, work has aloud me to do a split shift as there's a good 4 hour period I'm not needed which is a relief, hopefully is I'm up all night I'll be able to get a nap through the day before I return to work.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's part of the withdrawal deal, I think.

I always found the first few nights were fairly sleepless - but I got through the days ok.

I hope you manage to get some sleep.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wouldnt sleep a wink for about 3 days whenever I stopped drinking after a prolonged period of daily consumption. I couldnt wait for day 4 to arrive because I could usually expect a good 8 hours sleep that night. You may have to just grin and bear it. Sleep will return soon. stay away from the booze.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On the plus side it can't possibly be worse than some of the hangovers I've gone in with.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, Res. You should carefully analyze your physical condition. I found when I quit drinking that I was awakened at night by physical pain. I had gotten so good at blocking it and masking the rest with booze. A couple of naproxen sodium before bed helped me through the night. The first time I got 6 hours sleep without budging, didn't move at all, was such a relief.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it might be a good opportunity to reset your body clock a bit better.

I know for me if I sleep late into the day, I won't go to bed until late and the cycle continues.
It makes me feel like I am not part of the real world as my day is starting when other 'normal' people have almost done a days work.

I would say power through the day.
Drink lots of water.
Maybe a sugary snack to keep going - like some fresh orange, a hot chocolate or a doughnut.

I also find if I tell myself I won't sleep, then I start to get stressed as it nears bed time.
I find following some sleep hygiene helps - like no caffeine late in the afternoon, no television in the bedroom, a warm milky drink, maybe a warm bath.
If I can't sleep, I don't force it.
I might read for a bit.
If there is anything on my mind I will write it down and deal with it in the morning.

Recently I have listening/watching sleep self hypnosis video's on you tube.
I have my lap top near me on my bed and play them as I am trying to fall asleep.
There are one's for depression, anxiety, deep sleep, etc etc.
It does not always help or work 100% but I started to look forward to going to sleep so I could put a video on.

We cannot buy melatonin in the UK.
It is a prescription only medicine and used only in the elderly, however some of the herbal preparations can be good and there are short term use sleeping tablets you can buy at the chemist without seeing a doctor.

There is a concept known as sleep hygiene - as in have you got good sleep hygiene?
Its about making yourself have the best environment to fall asleep in.

If you google it, there will be information and tips about it.
My GP has been fantastic when I went to him and told him how I was often awake until 4am and then not getting up until 1/2 pm.

He prescribed me medication that has helped.

I would say if good sleep continues to elude you after a few weeks, make an appointment with your GP.

Sweet dreams!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Hey, Res. You should carefully analyze your physical condition. I found when I quit drinking that I was awakened at night by physical pain. I had gotten so good at blocking it and masking the rest with booze. A couple of naproxen sodium before bed helped me through the night. The first time I got 6 hours sleep without budging, didn't move at all, was such a relief.
Same here Trachs! Pain from previous injuries I dulled with booze reared its head. I had thought the injuries healed, hah! The pains did lessen signicantly after a few weeks sober though.

Good luck Res
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've gone to work many a Monday with little or no sleep. No more. You can do it Resetti, as you can see from this thread, many of us have. Hopefully you will come home hungry and tired and eat and sleep instead of drink. HALT.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help, I'm actually doing pretty well, I got a couple of hours but I feel alright. I guess the benefits of going in sober without sleep more than cancelled out the benefits of getting a lot of drunken broken sleep and being hungover.