Notices

I think I'm ready this time

Old 10-05-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I think I'm ready this time

I'm new to SR and felt I should introduce myself and get more active here. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but just registered. First, yesterday was my 21st day sober, so I'm past the worst and starting to enjoy life. But this is not my first attempt at sobriety so I know the ebb and flow of feelings will be there.

I'll try to keep this short, but I started drinking daily in my mid 20's, I'm now 57. So I'm a pretty experienced drinker, something to put on my resume, not. I've been lucky, and that's all that is. No DUI's, no lost work, a pretty successful career. But I have lost a marriage and I don't have the best relationship with my two adult daughters. The marriage was probably doomed to fail any way but the relationship with my daughters I know is caused by my not being there for them. The bottle was more important to me.

My drinking consisted of 4 to 6 beers everyday after work and more on the weekends, I always went with the high alcohol content beers, us drunks have to hide wherever we can. Weekends I'd start about noon and keep a good buzz on until I went to bed.

I went sober for 9 months at the end of my first marriage 10 years ago. Then I thought I could drink in moderation. Well that didn't turn out too well.

So what's different this time? I'm finally at peace with the fact that I can't drink in moderation. I'm at peace that I can never drink again. The AV is not quite there but the voice is not that strong. I'm in a great second marriage where we can have honest and open conversations. My wife also suffers from her own addiction. We support each other but own our own addictions. I'm in the last 1/3 of my life and don't want to spend it lost in my own little world of inebriation. I've put a number of different tools together and I'm hoping SR is one of them.

So that's a little about me. I'm looking forward to the support I can get here and hope I have a little wisdom that I can share and help others here too.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums!

Jim
Old 10-05-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome JD....I'm glad you've joined us. I really rely on SR. Great people on here.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang Jd - this is a great place to be
It'd never too late to start on a new ending to our story...I'm glad you found us

D
Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jd!!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations.

Love in sobriety.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi JD
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to the group xo
Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, jd. Congratulations on your decision to lead a sober life; it's a very good one. Sobriety rocks.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Jd and congrats on 21 days. We're in the same age group and I agree, maybe the last 1/3 can be more like the first 1/4...not drunk all the time.

I don't know how old your girls are but as the child of an alchie I can tell ya I would have been thrilled if he ever tried to quit. Maybe after some time you can strengthen those bonds....
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi JD - Welcome to SR. Congratulations on 21 days.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! You can change your life now and it's not too late to try to improve things for yourself, including your relationship with your daughters.