Notices

I'm looking for help

Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm looking for help

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so I'd like to make a little introduction. I am 25 years old and I've been drinking heavily for the past 4-5 years. I've always had an issue with drinking to blackout, at night. I will very rarely drink during the day unless it's extremely social, ie parties, going to the beach for the day, etc. I feel like my drinking has become my crutch to fall asleep, I usually don't start drinking until around 830-845 when I feel it is time to wind down.

That's when it begins. I always try to limit myself to two drinks, which albeit are rather large drinks of about 12-14 ounces of rum in each, I sometimes tend to overdue it when I don't feel like I'm ready to go to sleep yet, or I've blacked out due to the alcohol. I've been doing this for the past almost year and a half.

I am becoming increasingly more conscience of that fact that I have a problem, since lately I've been feeling it in my body. For example, increased hangovers, stomach pain, always tired from terrible sleep. I'm ready for it to stop. I'm having a hard time making the leap since I've been told and I've read that alcohol has some serious withdrawal symptoms. I've had lab work done previously in the past at the beginning of august, which showed normal for everything except slightly elevated MCH levels. I'm not particularly worried about organ damage, I'm worried about seizures. Lately, I've been having these sort of "out of body" moments when I need to consciously reconnect to my body, or I'll feel like I can't move a certain body part. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm also looking if anyone has any suggestions as to help overcoming the mental addiction to drink alcohol as a means to help fall asleep? I feel like that'll be the hardest part, since that's basically what I've associated alcohol with. Socially, I'm fine with drinking or not drinking.

I'm sorry for the long post, I've tried to avoid a wall of text. This is my introduction, and I hope I've found the right place. I may not mentally be ready to stay sober my entire life, but I think any attempt is better than how I'm living now.

Hi, I'm Matt.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpseeker1989 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum, so I'd like to make a little introduction. I am 25 years old and I've been drinking heavily for the past 4-5 years. I've always had an issue with drinking to blackout, at night. I will very rarely drink during the day unless it's extremely social, ie parties, going to the beach for the day, etc. I feel like my drinking has become my crutch to fall asleep, I usually don't start drinking until around 830-845 when I feel it is time to wind down.

That's when it begins. I always try to limit myself to two drinks, which albeit are rather large drinks of about 12-14 ounces of rum in each, I sometimes tend to overdue it when I don't feel like I'm ready to go to sleep yet, or I've blacked out due to the alcohol. I've been doing this for the past almost year and a half.

I am becoming increasingly more conscience of that fact that I have a problem, since lately I've been feeling it in my body. For example, increased hangovers, stomach pain, always tired from terrible sleep. I'm ready for it to stop. I'm having a hard time making the leap since I've been told and I've read that alcohol has some serious withdrawal symptoms. I've had lab work done previously in the past at the beginning of august, which showed normal for everything except slightly elevated MCH levels. I'm not particularly worried about organ damage, I'm worried about seizures. Lately, I've been having these sort of "out of body" moments when I need to consciously reconnect to my body, or I'll feel like I can't move a certain body part. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm also looking if anyone has any suggestions as to help overcoming the mental addiction to drink alcohol as a means to help fall asleep? I feel like that'll be the hardest part, since that's basically what I've associated alcohol with. Socially, I'm fine with drinking or not drinking.

I'm sorry for the long post, I've tried to avoid a wall of text. This is my introduction, and I hope I've found the right place. I may not mentally be ready to stay sober my entire life, but I think any attempt is better than how I'm living now.

Hi, I'm Matt.
Hi Matt. One thing you could try is speaking with your doctor about your sleeping issues, and if it comes down to it you should also mention how you have been using the alcohol to help you sleep. If you have a true desire to stop drinking be sure to inform the doctor as you wouldn't be drinking on any of the medications (if prescribed) or maybe he could even suggest an alternative route such as daily activities, or maybe even melatonin. But the doctor may be your best bet.

Good Luck!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Matt

If you're worried about seizures the best thing you can do bar none is check in with your Dr., regardless of how recently you had some lab work done - see your Dr and be honest about how much you've been drinking and what your concerns are.

As far as support goes - you've hit the mother lode

This is a great place for help, support and ideas

A little insomina is usual, especially if you've been using alcohol to help you sleep for a while. That's another thing you can raise with your doctor.

For me, I would rarely sleep on night one but things got a little better night by night until I had a new sleeping pattern after about 10 days or so. Of course your mileage may vary.

I also recommend joining our Class of October support thread - there's so great support there from folks going through the same things you are

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2015-a-9.html

SR helped me change my life - I know we can help you do the same

D

Old 10-05-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Matt!!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to you.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt x Def agree with the others, your doctor would be the most advisable first person to seek help from. When I stopped my doctor gave me meds to help with the withdrawal x x Good luck on your journey x
Old 10-05-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome.

Drinking knocks me out too, but it is not real sleep.

Someone said...I'd rather have 1 hour of sober rest than 12 of drunken rest.

I agree w that. Sleeping pills for extended time, for me, are just as bad.

See a Dr. If you have any health issues, but I vote suck it up for a while.

Be tired for a day or 4. Nap. They are amazing.

I had trouble sleeping in the past. Used melatonin to get me remembering what sleep felt like....then started sleeping regular.

Oh ya...a good hard work out...4 or 5 hours prior to bed...plus some quality protein and carbs a couple of hours prior also helped me get sleepy.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Hope you've made a decision to quit.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Matt! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Helpseeker
Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The alcohol was giving me insomnia, I didn't realize it until I stopped drinking; I was using the alcohol to sleep.
Had I known this I would've suffered for a couple weeks sober and given up the drink a while ago xo
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

12-14 ounces of rum in a drink is a lot of rum in a drink.....

So, never mind why you drink or when you drink - HOW you drink is pretty consistent with many of us who have gone deeper and deeper and deeper into alcoholism.

Good news!!!

You're here and reaching out for help and want to change it. The advice you've gotten so far about speaking with a doctor is always solid guidance. But I'd say also just deciding, resolving and fully embracing that you are NOT going to drink anymore is your next step. It wouldn't hurt at all to get some in-person support.

Also, I'd suggest that since you've routinized alcohol with a daily ritual (bed and sleeping...) - you need to actively CHANGE to another routine. Try replacing your current approach of drinking to bed with something equally ritual, but healthier. Go for a nice walk, then take a hot bath or shower, enjoy some chamomile tea while reading..... something like that. Include a beverage so that your reptilian, conditioned brain feels a little more comfortable. Make an active change to an alternate, preferred lifestyle.

You can get free of this before it gets even worse.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you so much everyone! It's unbelievable to have this much support. I'm just tired of feeling sick in some way or form. The problem is that when whatever ailment goes away, or gets better, I always think my current lifestyle is okay. When it'll just get repeat -- or spiral downward.

I'm going to set an appointment with my doctor to run another set of labs to make sure there's no current pressing matter internally and discuss ways to help with the sleep and hopefully something like a benzo to relax my anxiety.

I agree D122y, I think that may be beneficial to fight it out and eventually I'll be able to set a solid sleep schedule that I create rather than alcohol.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be around!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I know you'll find lots of support here. I second seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru detox. They can help reduce the risk of seizures and make you more comfortable during the detox process.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
The alcohol was giving me insomnia, I didn't realize it until I stopped drinking; I was using the alcohol to sleep.
Had I known this I would've suffered for a couple weeks sober and given up the drink a while ago xo
Exactly, I can't sleep because simply my body forgot how to on its own. I've noticed also, that once I reach a certain threshold I become more alert and awake than before I started drinking -- leading me to just drink more.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
12-14 ounces of rum in a drink is a lot of rum in a drink.....

So, never mind why you drink or when you drink - HOW you drink is pretty consistent with many of us who have gone deeper and deeper and deeper into alcoholism.

Good news!!!

You're here and reaching out for help and want to change it. The advice you've gotten so far about speaking with a doctor is always solid guidance. But I'd say also just deciding, resolving and fully embracing that you are NOT going to drink anymore is your next step. It wouldn't hurt at all to get some in-person support.

Also, I'd suggest that since you've routinized alcohol with a daily ritual (bed and sleeping...) - you need to actively CHANGE to another routine. Try replacing your current approach of drinking to bed with something equally ritual, but healthier. Go for a nice walk, then take a hot bath or shower, enjoy some chamomile tea while reading..... something like that. Include a beverage so that your reptilian, conditioned brain feels a little more comfortable. Make an active change to an alternate, preferred lifestyle.

You can get free of this before it gets even worse.

I agree, luckily my school offer free counseling for drug and alcohol abuse so I want to get in there and talk to them. I have a prior issue of drug dependence as a teen so perhaps despite drinking to sleep, there may be a deeper internal issue as to why I even started.

You make valid suggestions, I had started to read for a while until it would get late enough that I had to start drinking or else I wouldn't sleep in time. I'd like to stick with that honestly, but instead read until I'm actually tired. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For those of us who used alcohol as a sleep aid, eventually we learned its a vicious circle. IT doesn't provide that quality REM sleep and if we don't drink at night we can't sleep, so what's the logical solution at that moment...drink of course. I believe you will find that once you break the cycle, and get through a few days of not drinking to help you sleep, you will sleep well. And believe me, you will notice. The first time I got a good nights sleep without alcohol it felt like when I used to when I was kid. Now that great feeling is "normal". and its good. Wish you the very best.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks thomas11, about two years ago I had to stop drinking for about 7 months and I recall the clarity and refreshing feeling to look forward to in the morning.

As for tonight, I'm at a loss. Not necessarily because I need to sleep, but because I don't know if I should try and stop drinking before talking to my doctor, or go ahead and have a little just to be safe but substantially cut it back to like half usual...
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Matt - it's great to meet you.

When I was 25 I knew I didn't drink normally, but I chose to ignore the warning signs. I was so afraid to let go of it, thinking life would be so dull without it. As a result, I lost everything as an older person - relationships, respect, health, hope. This never has to happen to you. I'm so glad you're seeking counseling & talking things over here.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpseeker1989 View Post
Thanks thomas11, about two years ago I had to stop drinking for about 7 months and I recall the clarity and refreshing feeling to look forward to in the morning.

As for tonight, I'm at a loss. Not necessarily because I need to sleep, but because I don't know if I should try and stop drinking before talking to my doctor, or go ahead and have a little just to be safe but substantially cut it back to like half usual...
Have you made an appointment to see your doctor? If not, pick up the phone. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, so if drinking just enough to keep you safe is something you feel you need, then I guess you are better off being safe than risking a health event. Please don't misconstrue that as encouraging you to drink, they are separate issues altogether.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Have you made an appointment to see your doctor? If not, pick up the phone. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, so if drinking just enough to keep you safe is something you feel you need, then I guess you are better off being safe than risking a health event. Please don't misconstrue that as encouraging you to drink, they are separate issues altogether.
I won't have an appointment until Friday. I don't think a doctor would honestly give a good recommendation other than going to treatment without actually seeing me, and evaluating me.

I appreciate your honest opinion, I agree and by no means do I want to drink either. I really would like to just start off day one today, I'm just scared and nervous of the severity of possible withdrawal symptoms before I can talk to a doctor.

I'm going to call in and see if I can get an earlier appointment though, Friday was just the earliest they had on their appointment website -- or simply op for a different doctor with an earlier availability. I'm also going to visit my schools drug and alcohol abuse counselors and hopefully they might have someone in there with some insight.