Notices

First hand account

Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First hand account

Some friends of ours came down from the cities to spend the weekend with us. Watched football all day and then ordered the UFC fight last night. She's pregnant so no drinking, my wife drinks very little. He, on the other hand really enjoyed himself. This morning I got up and did the usual (made coffee, filled bird feeder, let my dog and his dogs out, fed them etc...). I was reading the paper and watching pre-game stuff while he spent the majority of the morning in the bathroom. I actually felt kind of bad for him. He was in tough shape. I was never a thrower-upper but I was thankful that I did not feel like him, and it was a reminder of the damage alcohol causes. I'm sure he had a very long, miserable day.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to watch someone struggle with alcoholism, isn't it? It rather tears at our core.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't miss those mornings one bit. The dry heaves, sweats, railroad spikes in my head headache, hot pipes....and then somehow nursing down a beer mid afternoon and starting all over again.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spoke to him this morning about my own past issues (which I have told him before), but I wanted to remind him that he should exercise caution because he has a 13 month old and another one on the way. They don't need to grow up seeing Dad sick from alcohol. They are coming down next weekend to take their little one to a pumpkin patch and corn maze and then we are having a pumpkin carving contest, hopefully it will have a different outcome for him.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your friend. My bro called me up the other day to go see a movie then ended up changing plans at the last minute and said let's go see it tomorrow instead. I said OK but suspected he changed plans so he could drink/party. Next morning I texted him a few times about movie times and I didn't hear back from him until the afternoon (I had had enough of his shenanigans well before his reply and had made other plans by this point). Turns out he was hungover and said let's go next weekend instead. Suffice to say I won't be joining him next week as I'd rather not get jerked around like that again. I mean the whole thing was his idea to begin with! Ridiculous.

Not really a big deal when you think about it but it made me really value my sobriety. I'm so glad I'm no longer "that guy" - the guy that can't be relied upon and let's drinking get in the way of living life
Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got an obnoxious drunk dial the other day from a guy I was supposed to go on a date with.
It was a huge turn off, it was odd to be on the other side of the coin, but I was grateful for sobriety.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Really don't miss those mornings, and I always then felt annoyed at myself that I had messed up the next day's activities as I'd be nursing a hangover and feeling unwell.

Good share Jeff!!