Notices

Hanging by a Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Hanging by a Thread

Hi All -

For the last few days, I've been finding hornets or wasps (yellow jacket things) in my house. Up until this past Wednesday, I would say I've found and killed about 12 of them in the house. They would hover around the kitchen window and door. I couldn't find the nest around the door or see where they were coming from. As we circled our house, we saw a huge swarm of them by the electrical meter. They were traveling down the wires and entering our house into the laundry room. Then they would leave the laundry room and fly to the door and windows. We couldn't see where the wires were coming through the wall into the house. Hubby sprayed tons of wasp killer into the exterior hole. A giant swarm came out. Apparently there is a huge nest in the wall somewhere. Then he plugged the hole with some sort of putty. After a bit, I heard buzzing coming from the laundry room. I cautiously opened the door and there were wasps flying all over the place. We killed at least 50+ wasps in the laundry room the first day.

Yesterday and today, Hubby removed the putty from the exterior hole and sprayed more wasp/hornet killer into the hole. There was another mass exodus and today we probably killed another 100. They are crawling under the door and flying into the kitchen, upstairs, etc. I found one in my sink yesterday. To date, we have probably killed 300-400 in the house. Hubby is resistant to calling an exterminator, thinking he could do it himself. Today I called one, but being a Sunday, wasn't available. Hopefully he will return my call tomorrow.

Incidentally, they are yellow, striped things and look like yellow jackets, but I'm not sure. I read online that a yellow jacket nest can contain up to 40,000 wasps.

I am beside myself with this and physically sick over all the dead wasps in my laundry room. I am finding dead wasps here and there all over the house. Hubby kills them and leaves the cleanup for me. I can't even look in the laundry room. There are piles and piles of dead wasps.

I am also concerned about the cost of an exterminator, fearing that they will have to remove the wall to find the nest. We can't afford that.

To make matters worse, Hubby drank heavily watching the football game today and went to bed by 6:15. I'm still dealing with wasps.

Anyway, I thought I would post my tale of woe. I just can't stand it anymore. The stress of living with all those wasps is getting to me. I've lived with it since Wednesday. I have been so close to drinking all day. It's dark so I think most of the wasps are sleeping, but tomorrow i get to do it all over again.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Rar
Oh gosh that's awful. But seriously, call the pros in for this. This may not be a valuable idea but maybe even bee people can help? Only reason I say this is I called orco (?) for my wasp nest and they quoted me $100.00 to kill and remove. The bee guy, cause he's non profit, did it for $50. Might be a totally bad idea considering yours seem to be inside but who knows? It definitely isn't worth what you're going through! Maybe tell the hub he needs to stop drinking for two weeks to pay for the exterminator? Ok.....that might not work...
Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, Rar; that's a nightmare.

I think that an exterminator might be worth the cost.

(Please don't drink over it; drinking will only complicate things.)
Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing great and the wasps will still be there if you drink.
Better to stay sober and deal with it all.
Good luck!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rar

I'm sorry it's so awful for you. I can guarantee that it would be even more awful to deal with if you drank over it tho?

Maybe some of the bright bods here have some wasp tips?

D
Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Rar)))! I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. Whatever else you do, please don't drink over it. There is nothing that alcohol can't make worse. For the moment you may need to take it minute by minute. Perhaps try some deep, slow breathing? Talk to a friend? Sending you positive thoughts to get through this.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I just returned to my chair after killing and flushing a couple down the toilet, only to find two crawling toward my blissfully unaware cat, I killed one and the other flew away. My poor cat thinks I was swatting at him and is now hiding.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I can't help but think a beer would help me cope. I feel like crying.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A beer wouldn't help - you would end up feeling worse! It's ok to cry.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rar, is there somewhere else you could spend the night?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cryings ok, but drinkings not, Rar.

Maybe going somewhere else is not the worst idea in the world - might impress on your husband how much this is upsetting you too?

D
Old 10-04-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Omg!! That sounds horrible!! I'd be hanging by a thread too!
I'm JUST making it through today, let's both stay sober xoxo
Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

My girlfriend invited me to stay with her. As much as I would like to, it would not set too well with my Husband. It would not be a good thing.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DON'T spray in the walls anymore and DO call a pro to help. That's the only info I know and can find for nest in walls.

Sorry your having such a rough time. It will get better stay strong. Drinking will not solve the problem. And it will not make you feel better. Stay strong.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a frustrating invasion.

It will get better. Now that you know there is a problem, you can address it.

Drinking? The only thing that will do reliably well is make everything worse.

Take care, Rar.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Please stay strong....it wouldn't be just one then you'll be stuck with a hangover and bees!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

I just found 2 more in the TV room (new territory for them). I'm out of here and upstairs to bed. That freaked me out.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope the situation is sorted out tomorrow. If not I hope you can reconsider staying with your girlfriend. If your husband sees how upsetting this is for you on what reasonable basis can he object?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rar- I had a nest between my paneling and outside wall a few years ago. I had a shop vac filled with them. It was so gross, I found them everywhere.

An exterminator came in and with in 5 minutes new where they were, between my walls and the outside wall. He took a thing and puffed a white powder in my drop ceiling and between the walls. Two shots of it and he was done. I think I paid 35.00. This white powder coats all the bees and kills them. It hits the hive and area around it. Good luck!!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That sounds like a nightmare Rar!!

Though drinking won't solve anything, there will be wasps whether you drink or not, and then dealing with things with the added hangover will only make things worse!!

Hang in there!!