Notices

Keep Failing

Old 10-04-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep Failing

why is. it when you make a commitment to not drink and to stay sober you end up falling right back into the same pattern in hating yourself all over again and feel so ashamed of himself that everyone is going to abandon you because of all your shortcomings. I'm feeling I need someone where I can continually chat and workout issues
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, this is a good place to do that.

Guilt and shame cycles are pretty familiar to alcoholics. I know I lived in that cycle for a long time.

The way out is to do things which cause me to feel proud of myself. One day at a time, I try to add positive actions to my life. You can do it too.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's called addiction. And I think you are on the right track seeing that we need continuous help to overcome it. Some approach that via meeting based recovery where they have daily face to face interaction. You could join the October class thread here too or the weekend/daily threads. Rehab or therapy are needed by some as well.

Bottom line though, drinking or not is a choice you consciously make. It's a lot easier to choose NOT drinking when you have an active plan and support network to lean on.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feelingguilty View Post
why is. it when you make a commitment to not drink and to stay sober you end up falling right back into the same pattern in hating yourself all over again and feel so ashamed of himself that everyone is going to abandon you because of all your shortcomings. I'm feeling I need someone where I can continually chat and workout issues
You are DEFINITELY in the right place. You are loved and DESERVING of love. A beautiful person created by God. You can explore your issues at your own pace and manner. That is totally accepted and you will be embraced with kindness.

So stick round. We're not going anywhere.

Someone is always here ready to help you and support you. d
Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

This disease of alcoholism takes everything from us, and causing us to hate ourselves is one of the ways that it continues to hold us captive. I know the self-loathing that I felt, kept me hooked for a long time.

Remember that alcoholism is not a character defect. You are here and you can join us on the recovery journey.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by feelingguilty View Post
why is. it when you make a commitment to not drink and to stay sober you end up falling
I read in your first post that you had seven years of recovery. So you've been sober. If you relapsed you can get right back to recovery, but it you use your "failure" as a spur to keep drinking/using then maybe this slip was a long time coming. Your commitment to sobriety needs to be backed up by action. DO what is needed to get back on track and support that commitment.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Addiction is a real thing, all the hoping, wishful thinking, willpower in the world I had on it's own couldn't keep me Sober.

I needed a plan, support and needed to make some real change and proactive decisions in my life, Sobriety is more than not drinking, it's about revolutionising your lifestyle away from alcohol, carving out a new Sober life, new habits, new routines, and that is what I found makes it stick!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's called addiction. And I think you are on the right track seeing that we need continuous help to overcome it. Some approach that via meeting based recovery where they have daily face to face interaction. You could join the October class thread here too or the weekend/daily threads. Rehab or therapy are needed by some as well.

Bottom line though, drinking or not is a choice you consciously make. It's a lot easier to choose NOT drinking when you have an active plan and support network to lean on.
Here's some links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-04-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR feelingguilty, lots of support here
Old 10-04-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very glad to meet you, feelingguilty. We understand like noone else can. I did the same thing for many years - but being here helped me find the courage to change my life. You can do it.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome feelingguilty

I'm not fond of the word failing in this context but...I kept 'failing' because although I kept making a commitment to being sober I didn't have much in the way of action behind it?

My life was about drinking - if I made no changes to my life then the result was obvious.

Do you think you've made enough changes?

D