Notices

First time posting here...

Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting here...

I have 72 days sober, and feel really good physically. Never been more active in the gym and on the trails (Im a big runner), great appetite and sleep like a rock. I'm grateful I have been sober after several tries, an inpatient stay last year, and several miserable years of my life being dominated by alcohol, morning, noon and,night, regardless of jobs or lack thereof, relationships going to crap. I'm dealing with life on life terms; I was actually happy to pay $2000 for car repairs needed to last a few more years, and realize I only have 3 payments left...I never would have been able to financially plan that in years past.

However, I've tried this before, and it's always just short of ninety days where I cave. Fact is I am bored and depressed that I live with my mom at the age of 38, have a job I don't like all that much, friends married and living their own lives. I feel like I am stuck, and don't know where to turn for happiness , or even what to do with myself sometimes, when the answer was always in bottle form.

Im recently diagnosed with adult ADD as well, a big reason I drank so much the last few years, to calm down the racing thoughts.

Anyway, I feel some comfort in reading these threads lately, so figured I would jump in.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! 72 days is awesome! Lots of great support here. Glad you jumped on!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great job on 72 days PH! I've caved a few times around that time, bit know that I never find what I'm looking for in the bottle....keep doing what your doing & I'm sure the rest will follow!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, phlowing; congratulations on 72 days; you can reach 90 days, pass it, and go on to a lifetime of sobriety.

Glad you found us.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome phlowing - to 90 days, and beyond!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome~ Congrats on 72 days - well done!

I started attending recovery meetings - for me it shorten the day and helped a ton meeting new friends who support each other. I was really good at stopping, did it many times!

It was the staying stopped part I struggled with. A f2f group helped me.

Thanks for the post, SR is full it great friends
Old 10-03-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm going to Smart Recovery meetings, seeing a therapist, and lots of running (it really does wonders for stress and tension for me). I'm excited to search around and get used to this as Ifind myself at my computer most night. Thanks again
Old 10-03-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard phlowing

I think maybe you need to reassess your expectations a little. 90 days sober is a great achievement - you obviously have the not drinking part pretty firmly in hand, but 90 days was only the start of what I call Phase Two - building a sober life you're happy in.

Maybe take each of the things you're not happy about and try to workshop some ideas on how you might fix those things, or at least make them better/more tolerable??

D
Old 10-04-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Phlowing!!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This site played a part in helping me squash some serious cravings this weekend...something about fall and just chilling at home,,,I think that was my favorite atmosphere to forget about my troubles and drink away.

To Dee, yes I agree on working on my life in general, it's what I'm doing, and it's what is giving me urges to drink, constantly thining/reading/talking about it. But, it's also giving me motivation to stay sober...quite the conundrum.

Thanks all.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, phlowing! I know what you mean about the seasons changing - many triggers. I drank almost 30 years, & today it rarely crosses my mind. I stopped thinking I was missing out on something. I knew where it would lead. Happy to know you.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 72 days sober!