Notices

Question Regarding Skin

Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Regarding Skin

Question on Skin

Hello everyone. I wanted to ask a question of you regarding changes/improvements to skin after quitting drinking. I am on day 48 of not drinking, and still have a lot or redness on my face as well as a recent and pretty severe case of acne.

My face is ok in the mornings, then about noon I get a huge flush - very red on face and neck/chest. It is not a pretty sight. I have been diagnosed with rosacea in the past, but that was then I was drinking. Just wondering if anyone has some feedback. Did your redness/acne improve and how long did it take? Did the texture of your skin improve? Has anyone with rosacea seen improvement after quitting? Thanks for your input.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is definitely a no no with rosacea. Try some high quality dermatology soaps and a serum. Check out Image Skin Care products and use the Vital C cleanser and Vital C serum. One of my best friends is a very good esthetician and she use this on her rosacea clients. Rosacea and acne are her speciality.

Steer away from drying or acne products even in the Iamge or Obagi lines. Too much drying will flare up rosacea and will actually cause worse acne.

These Image products will take years off your skin rather rapidly.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The blotchy, dry, redness in my face cleared up after a couple weeks. I noticed when I was drinking, if I added caffeine (especially energy drinks) to the mix, it was much much worse. My dr. Told me that blood pressure is a factor with the redness. That's my experience, check with your Dr. If you are concerned.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A few months in I remember my boss at work asking, "are you alright, you look a bit paler than normal?"

Little did she know I felt better than I'd ever felt in years, and the redness/bloatedness in my face had finally eased!!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried natural remedies to help?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The skin on my face is horrible after drinking, after a couple of days it gets better, after a couple weeks its really nice.
My go to is drinking hot water with lemon slices in it, it makes my skin look amazing after a few days, but you must drink a lot of it, it also flattens my stomach ( not the first few days, but after that)
By a lot of lemon water I mean about 5-8 mugs a day
Not sure about rosacea though xoxo
Old 10-03-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's a good link with great information:

http://www.naturalalternativeremedy....s-for-rosacea/
Old 10-03-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

My face lost a lot of bloatedness after 4-6 weeks
Old 10-03-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
Alcohol is definitely a no no with rosacea. Try some high quality dermatology soaps and a serum. Check out Image Skin Care products and use the Vital C cleanser and Vital C serum. One of my best friends is a very good esthetician and she use this on her rosacea clients. Rosacea and acne are her speciality.

Steer away from drying or acne products even in the Iamge or Obagi lines. Too much drying will flare up rosacea and will actually cause worse acne.

These Image products will take years off your skin rather rapidly.
All, thanks very much for your helpful replies. I will look into your suggestions of products/remedies, seeing a doctor, and trying lemon water. Purpleknight, what a story of your boss commenting on your "pale" complexion and it really being a reflection of your good health. I am crossing my fingers for that to happen (and I did note that you said it happened after a few months, so maybe I do have some time).

It's just puzzling to me that initially my skin improved, color and texture. Then came more redness with acne, then big flushing at mid day like I mentioned. It took years to do the damage, so obviously I should give the body more time to heal than a little over a month. I will just hope that its not rosacea that will never go away. If anyone thinks of anything else I would welcome it, and thanks again. All the best.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on day 12. In the past 2 days I have had 2 different people tell me how nice my skin looks and they asked what I'm doing differently. 😊. Little do they know I am just not doing 1 thing!!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My face looked like a sweaty balloon with slits for eyes when I was drinking. The redness has gone away.

This still makes me cringe but I had children (on several occasions) ask me "why is your face so red?" That was when I was drinking. Gotta love how children have absolutely no filter. Saying out loud what every adult is too polite to ask.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My face was dry AND oily when drinking. Makeup seemed to cover initially, then my skin would just suck it up and look blotchy. Very dehydrated looking and pores seemed huge.

Much better now but I've noticed now water and sleep is key. If I don't drink much water during the day, or don't sleep well.....it shows on my face. Sleep I can't control but do my best. Water intake, I can....but forget sometimes. I find it easier by pouring it into a HUGE glass a few times a day and just guzzling the whole thing! When I drink out of water bottles, I just sip and don't get enough during the day. I drank water only when I was thirsty during my drinking days....which if I wasn't thirsty before 4pm, it would be coffee in the morning, then wine at 4pm.

I'm just wondering when these crows feet and the little bags under my eyes will go away and when my skin will tighten up on my face........Oh, thats right, NEVER! I'm 50!
Old 10-04-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
My face looked like a sweaty balloon with slits for eyes when I was drinking. The redness has gone away.

This still makes me cringe but I had children (on several occasions) ask me "why is your face so red?" That was when I was drinking. Gotta love how children have absolutely no filter. Saying out loud what every adult is too polite to ask.
Melinda, that's great that your redness went away. May I ask how long that took to happen?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

5 weeks off and no improvements to facial skin at all. A bit discouraged. Red and not pretty
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If you have concerns see a Dr.....

But, for me, my skin improved dramatically when I quit.

Amazing what not flushing toxins regulary through it does.

Everything got better.

Alcohol is poisen.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

People always commented on how red I was - but in some of my old photos I was either flushed looking or very very anemic pale.

I'm not sure honestly if the redness is gone - in recent photos I look healthier - my skin seems a lot healthier, not as pale, certainly not flushed, and actually looks more plump instead of puffy. My boyfriend hasn't been asking if I'm hot because my face is so red for a few weeks so I'm thinking it probably has gone away but I still see it - or think I do - in the décolletage area - it's quite a distinctly different color from other parts of my body. I have spider veins though on the sides of my nose and a couple small ones across my cheeks. I don't think these are ever going to go away and can probably be attributed to age as much as drinking. Perhaps I also have them across my chest but cannot see the area as close up as my nose so I cannot tell.

I really, genuinely, within weeks looked a good ten or fifteen years younger within the first couple of weeks without alcohol though
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had what seemed to be permanent red splotchiness on the right side of my face. For a few days after drinking my whole face would be red, when that redness faded I'd still have that blotchiness. If I didn't drink for a few more days the blotches would get flaky and I'd have to scrub and scrub to keep from having visible flakes of skin on my face.
I dealt with a few zits in my first couple of sober months, wouldn't call it acne exactly, but it was more than I was used to dealing with.
I'm not sure how long it took, but that splotchiness has cleared up completely. Probably around the 3 month mark.

I was a binge drinker, sometimes a few during the week but mostly one big 2 or 3 day binge every week.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd stop worrying about it and give myself at least 48 more days.

48 days is not yet 2 months and I remember not looking great until past 6-9 months of sobriety with gradual and consistent improvement to this day (a little over 4 years).....
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Hope-

Have you by chance started to take maybe larger doses of vitamins or supplements since quitting drinking, especially something with a high Niacin level?

Not giving medical advice if so, but personally for me if I take anything with Niacin I get a very hot flush in the face/neck/chest, usually a couple hours after taking it. When I read your post, it was the first thing I thought of. I had rosacea when drinking also, but was very different from the flush from high vitamin doses that sort of came on like a wave.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had horrible rosacea four years ago when I was drinking non-stop and committing a slow and messy suicide. I even had what is called ocular rosacea when it affects your eyes; I looked like a leper. The good news is once I stopped drinking it went away-not overnight, but I saw great improvement within a month. My skin healed without scarring and the rosacea never returned.