Notices

Newbie not Normie

Old 10-03-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newbie not Normie

Hello all,
I'm an alcoholic who is trying to get sober by attending AA meetings in lieu of going into in-treatment. I went on bender T/W of this week, and nearly cost my job. I had one day sober, and then for some inexplicable reason, bought a bottle of wine on the way home from counseling apt. So today is a new day for me. I'm going to an AA meeting today, but I really, really need support. I'm lost and worried that I will keep sabotaging myself.
Hoping for some inspiration...I can use all the support I can get. I'm grateful to have found this site.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Good for you for going to meetings. I hope it works out for you.
You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Soberdream!!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Lots of support here! We hold meetings on Tuesday & Friday nights in the chat/meeting room at 900pm EST. Come join us on Tuesday! Good luck at your meeting today. Let's us know it went!

Congratulations on day 01!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck with tackling your alcoholism and seeking sobriety and recovery.

There is lots of support available on here, and you will also find lots in the rooms. I found the meetings really helped initially, but the real relief for me came with getting a sponsor and working the steps. The steps are the program. Meetings alone aren't the program.

When you're not at meetings, reading to gain insight can be useful. You can purchase Living Sober online or at AA meetings. It's a really helpful book.

There are also lots of AA speaker recordings online. I found these really, really useful. I'd say to focus on the ones that are based on steps 1-3 initially. Micky Bush is a bit of a nutter, but I found the recordings of him really good because they were funny as well as informative, and those smiles and laughs were a godsend in the early months. You can find free recordings on either on youtube by searching for AA speakers, or on here... 5500+ AA Speaker Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

There are some great threads on here about developing your personal sobriety plan. Maybe someone will have some links to some good uns for you. I've got to pop out now. If no-one has added some links to those threads when I get in, I'll look some out for you.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you fall down, get back up.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Soberdream. Welcome to SR. I hope your meeting will kickstart your recovery. Let us know how your meeting went. Meanwhile, read, read, read the SR posts. There is a lot of wisdom here from accumulated years of sobriety.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, soberdream; this is a great place for support, encouragement and understanding.

Great job on going to an AA meeting; let us know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberdream View Post
Hello all,
I'm an alcoholic who is trying to get sober by attending AA meetings in lieu of going into in-treatment. I went on bender T/W of this week, and nearly cost my job. I had one day sober, and then for some inexplicable reason, bought a bottle of wine on the way home from counseling apt. So today is a new day for me. I'm going to an AA meeting today, but I really, really need support. I'm lost and worried that I will keep sabotaging myself.
Hoping for some inspiration...I can use all the support I can get. I'm grateful to have found this site.
We drink because we are alcoholic and have not had enough. Try two meetings a day and immediately get a sponsor if you are wanting to avoid treatment.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi SoberDream