The Bucket List Trip

Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Bucket List Trip

I don't think I've written about this here. My H has always wanted to take a certain route on his motorcycle. When I write always, I mean this trip idea predates our serious dating and marriage. He never planned or did it. It was always just a future thing. Well in January, his HS friend wanted to actually schedule this trip. And he agreed. I was enthusiastic about this trip and told him I would support it by clearing him from our fall family vacation (not enough vacation time). I saw making a dream a reality was a sign of recovery.

When RAH picked up his second job this summer, he told me, 'I suppose I'll need to cancel my trip.' I said, 'Well you are either going on the bike trip or family vacation. If you lose the second job over a week away - just get another one.' He worked through it in his head and got the second job to clear the week away. So the bike trip remained on.

I was worried he'd drink. It is so iconic in motorcycle lifestyle and advertising. I finally did tell him I was concerned he'd drink. He said, 'Why would I do that?' And we left it at that rather than winding it up to some big What If.

He headed out and the first night on the bike he sent me a picture of his cigarettes and sparkling water sitting next to a hot tub. He had a great time. When he rolled home after 8 days out, I helped him unload his bike and return the trailer. In the truck he said, 'I didn't drink.' And I said, 'I know. If you did, you'd have had beer with you and I would have kicked you out.' And we left it at that.

Several people in that week he was gone expressed their concern to me that I let him go on such a dangerous trip. Why would I keep him from doing something he loved? He could pick up beer locally within 2 minutes of leaving his house. They couldn't see it was a sign of his recovery. He actually made a bucket list item happen. He moved that trip from just talk to reality. That is what can happen at 24+ months sober. You might see your recovering addict living life and accomplishing some goals.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really like this. Thanks for sharing .
Old 10-02-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post Codejob. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that's simply awesome & I completely agree. It's a GREAT sign of recovery.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post, you gave me hope for my son who is 3 months sober.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Post and agree with you!! Curious where he travelled my AH is discussing wanting to do a bike trip as well.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is wonderful. So happy for him and proud of you too. Great example of recovery.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lovely lovely post.

sometimes others just don't get that it CAN be ok. I have 'friends' that do not get why I am still with AH........

All I can say is since I am in recovery my life is pretty good. Not sure what the long term situation will be right now....but me and my beautiful children are in a good place.

Al Anon and SR keep me sane....and I don't know where I would be without the tools I have embraced.

Take care Phiz
Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
He moved that trip from just talk to reality. That is what can happen at 24+ months sober. You might see your recovering addict living life and accomplishing some goals.

This gives me so much hope for where I'm heading in recovery from my own ism's. Thank you for posting, and big congrats to your husband!!
Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aw! I'm so happy for your hubs! WAY TO GO Mr. Codejob!

It's very timely and somewhat spooky that I'm reading this though as I just last night booked myself for a bucket list (I love that wording) solo vacation for myself. I plan on drinking wine, eating copious amounts of egg and dairy laden foods and leisurely shopping and sightseeing - all the while not worrying about how to solve other people's problems.

This recovery stuff is pretty great.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome post!! Thanks for sharing. How great to see he was able to do something he loves and still avoid the temptation. It shows how truly committed he is to his recovery.