Off topic help!! (Could be helpful for everyone)

Old 09-05-2004, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sdp

Off topic help!! (Could be helpful for everyone)

As I had mentioned before, I lost my job. I found a part time one, but the money is way less than I am accustomed to. I was never well, off, but if I didn't feel like cooking, we would go out, go to movies, etc. Now, I can't do that.

I also noted that the actions of our A's severely effect all our finances. So, what I want to know is:

Does anyone have helpful hint on low cost, easy, kid friendly food?? Money saving tips at the grocery store? I want to make things that everyone will like, but not break the budget.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
brightlight

At one time we had a good living and ate out plus ate good at home. We then changed states and I was pregnant, and for the first time we were on one income. My family likes rice with butter and salt. Oatmeal is good and eggs are not expensive and lots of ways to fix them. We quit buying pop and drink a lot of ice tea and use less sugar, but still have to have it. I starting making pizza from scratch using Bisquick for dough and they like that. Use 2-1/2 cups of Bisquick and I think 1/4 warm water. I use one envelope of yeast and work it till the dough is right. Let it rise and then brown hamburger with onions chopped up and some oregano, salt and pepper. Get a pan and grease bottom. Spread dough. Put tomato sauce on dough, then spread the hamburger. Put chopped black olives, onions, and cheese on top and then put in oven till dough is done and cheese melted. Meatloaf is good and mashed potatoes and gravy.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TRYING TO GET WELL

Well...not sure if you like soup...but you can always start with getting a whole chicken...putting it in a large pot of water...use natures seasoning...not too heathy if you use salt and nature's blend has several different to meet your taste buds...cook most of the meat off the bone and throw in some egg noodles...carrots...and you have a soup that will stretch for several meals and what you don't want after a few days you can freeze and pull out later...hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you get the Food TV cable channel? I'm a big fan of '30 Minute Meals', healthy low-cost, easy food. It's not pretty food, it's regular stuff most people have in the kitchen w/o all the fancy tools. Lots of entrees are billed as kid friendly. In my area, it comes on at 6pm weeknights, afternoons on weekends.
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Home made veggie soup A pound of ground beef and mixed veggies the ones you like ,canned tomatoes season to taste , can add pasta also , this can also be done with chicken as a meat also. Fish Sticks are inexpensive and a bag of fries. One thing I did this summer is I found a person who was done picking their veggies out of their garden and they let me pick peas I put of 26 quart bags of peas in the freezer, I use alot of Hamburger Helper, Macoroni and Cheese, Canned veggies, Bags of potatoes ( the ideas with those are endless) , Rice dishes, Spagettie is cheap to make and can last more than one day. Beef Stew, Also I look for what is on sale each week and take advantage of that also. Hope this helps
Rose
Old 09-05-2004, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gracey

my family loves when I make pizza................I buy the frozen bread and split it in half after thawed of course........I flatten it as much as i can........and then just go crazy with whatever I want...........my kids favorite is a layer of pepper jack cheese, ham, pepperoni, and mozzerla cheese......then I just take the sides in first and roll it........after rolled up, I put butter on the top and a little garlic salt........cooking time is only 20 minutes.........on 350........very yummy........

I use ragu sauce or pizza sauce for the kids to dip in if you add sauce to the bread it tend to get sawgy........(SP)

Old 09-05-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

This may sound crazy but it is so good and filling! Take pastina 1/2 box and boil it obvouisly in water =) and then crack two eggs in it and stir very well and add some salt it is cheap and filling! Also very SOOTHING to the tummy!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gracey

I went on line and got this great recipe for a halloween cake.........it is called kitty litter cake..............it was so much fun...........for the kids......

vanilla cake
1 large vanilla pudding
vanilla cookies
green food coloring
tootsie rolls.

I always by the box cake...........after the cake is cooked and vanilla pudding is set.......break the cake up after it is cooled, add the pudding........

break the cookies up pretty good and add food coloring so it has a nice green crumbled look.......add that to the top of the mixed cake and pudding........take some tootsie rolls and place them in the microwave just enough so you can form them and add them to the top of the cookie crumbs.........I used a brand new kitty litter box and a new scoop..........to make it look authentic............but you dont have toooo.......

Old 09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi sdp,

I'm careful not to waste as much as possible, will stretch your food budget 2 or 3 days.

Also when making Shepherds Pie I use substitute half green lentils for half the hamburger, cheaper than using meat.

Also buy the specials as much as possible.

If you are a coffee drinker buy big cans of coffee instead of fresh ground.

I bake homemade desserts instead of storebought and cook food from scratch instead of buying frozen prepared stuff.

Ngaire
Old 09-06-2004, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sdp

Good ideas all. I thank you...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Lot's of ideas and what a great topic. I think not buying processed is the biggest money saver of all. A bag of flour and yeast will make more pizza dough thank you can eat in several months. Veggies are cheap right now in bulk at the farm stands. Freeze them. Corn, beans, peppers, tomatoes etc. In the fall apples will be abundant...you could even have a family u-pick outing! That same sack of flour can make turnovers, apple pancakes, pie's and you could freeze filling for later. If you don't have freezer space a small chest model at Sam's or Costco is really cheap and could save you money in the long run.

Fahita's are cheap...a little meat and a ton of veggie's, stir fry is the same thing. My grandson likes the old fashion Koolaid...I let him pick out 10 packs for a whole dollar, bought a sack of sugar and he thought he won the lottery! Did you ever make popcicles out of Koolaid??

Us old ladies know how to pinch pennies!
Hugs,
JT
Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Another thing I thought of that is loaded with sugar but so easy and just awesome is Peanut Butter cookies-
1 Egg
1 Cup of sugar
1 Cup of Peanut butter

Yup that is it! Stir and pop in the oven Mmmmmmmmmmmm *rubs* belly!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

gracey's cake recipe

here's what the cake gracey talked about looks like (i hope i did this attachment thing right)

cwohio
Old 09-07-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi,

I thought of some other things I do,

Substitute green lentils for half the hamburger in spaghetti sauce.

Tofu Burgers, or chunks of Tofu in spaghetti sauce.
Homemade baked beans are nutritious, delicious and a money saver.

And Discount Grocery Stores if there are any in your area. Nothing wrong with the stuff except boxes are dented,cans dented that sort of thing.

I'll keep thinking.

Ngaire
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh my! That cake is discusting and hilarious! I'm so making that this halloween.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

To me this is a right on topic, with finances being such a reality for a lot of people living with active A's.

Ngaire
Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

sweeks - i think we can all use a humorous moment in our threads once in a while. good luck with the cake - lol

cwohio
Old 09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eww that looked sooo nasty ... My kids would love it
Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gracey

Buger on a stick..........this is really easy and cheap.........

bag of preztel rods
Cheeze whiz
green food coloring

I take a box top from work that holds the reams of paper......the top of it......I cover it with black nylon paper.......I take my knife and punch a bunch of holes in the box evenly.........

Put the cheeze whizzzz in the microwave for a few second.....when it comes out put a few drops of green food coloring........then just simply dip the pretzel and put it in one of the slots.....the more it drips down the pretzel the better......they taste great......lol

Old 09-07-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oh gracey - how funny and gross!

cwohio