Notices

On the Fence

Old 10-01-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the Fence

Hi everybody! I've been reading around the site some and it seems like an awesome community. Congratulations to every one here who has recovered! 👍

I've been considering sobering up for a while. I get that way when it's bad and then don't think about it for months. I'll not drink for a day or two, consider going to meetings, and then go right back. I haven't had any today and know I need to stop but it's hard to commit.

Some about where I'm at: I'm only 26 and have been drinking nearly everyday since I turned 21. I've been drinking a six pack a night and have considered this cutting back significantly. It's always a struggle to stop there ,I often don't, and 1-2 times a month I'll black out.

I've had to quit a few things in the past and haven't looked back. I quit taking benzodiazepines because I'd abused them. I had a really bad habbit with synthetic marijuana. I used it heavily daily for several years. That whole experience was pretty rough on me and hard to quit. It's now been over two years without It! My life's infinitely better for stopping.

That being said alcohol is really hard for me to let go of. I use it for so much and it's still very enjoyable to me (most of the time) As opposed to synthetic marijuana for instance which had me very sick, ruining relationships and mentally unstable.

I can't control it though. I may be able to cut back, but never do without. And if I have more around when I get buzzed I don't stop till it's gone or I pass out. I've rarely been to a party where I didn't black out. And I had to stop buying liquor because I'd intend to make a few strong drinks and down the bottle that night, every time.

I'm trying to turn a new leaf also and my addiction won't fit into the plan. Recently got my commercial drivers license and will be shooting myself in the foot if I don't stop. Some people get away with drinking on their days off. But from previous experience I'm kind of all or nothing when it comes to drugs. So I don't think that's for me. If I started sneaking drinks on nights when I have to stay in the sleeper I know it would catch up to me. From being exhausted and sick, or from employers catching wind. That's definitely not the only reason I want to quit but it makes me face my unwillingness and makes it more pressing.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Shotinthefoot!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.. Thanks for sharing your story. Im right there with ya.. Im 13 days sober and I am starting to think a lot clearer now. Its so worth it , you just have to get past hell week. Set some goals mate , small ones at first like.. go 10 20 or 30 days and re asses what you want to do.
Cheers.

Dru -
Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

26 is a great age to stop I'm 33 I wish I stopped at 26 rather than 31

Nice to meet you
Old 10-02-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

Many after exploring their drinking history decide to do something about the situation which ends up being only temporary and for various reasons quickly resumes the path they were on leading to their personal misery.

Couda, wooda and shouda becomes part of their story of regret. That’s because to defeat our alcoholism requires self honesty, acceptance we cannot drink in safety, work and CHANGE. This is not your usual alcoholics’ strong suites as so much energy is required to sober up for OUR SELF. It takes a four letter word for us, TIME.

BE WELL
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, shotinthefoot; glad you found us. Congratulations on acquiring your commercial driver's license.

Choosing sobriety has been one of the best choices I have made in my life.; I have found it an exponentially better way to live.

Again, welcome.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, shotinthefoot!

I'm 70 and have had go-arounds with alcohol several times since I was 21. Moderating never worked for me and each time I started again (once after 13 years!), it was harder to stop. I'm over a year sober now and know that alcohol is not an option for me, ever. I feel so much better without it!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, shotinthefoot!

How wonderful that you're seeing what needs to happen. I knew in my 20's that I didn't drink normally. One or two was a waste of time - and nothing that didn't involve alcohol seemed fun. So I didn't bother to heed the warnings. I came stumbling in to SR completely destroyed as a much older person. That never needs to happen to you. Welcome!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Shotinthefoot, fantastic that you are looking to change your life, like Hevyn I knew in my 20's that my drinking and need to drink was not normal, and I wish I had done something sooner - though it is never to late. This site is fantastic, lots of lovely people who will help you and have your interests at heart. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! It seems you have a very important reason to stop drinking, aside from the usual family/friends/health. You could not only lose your job, but your livelihood if you lost your license. I hope you decide to stop drinking. We do understand how hard this is and we're here for you.