Alanon

Old 09-30-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon

I went back to Al anon tonight. They started something different and have broken off the "newcomers and beginners" into a separate group. There was a few different faces, one man in particular. He was an alcoholic and is sober for 16 years. He talked about how alcoholics could give a rats *ss about family, girlfriends, boyfriends, or anyone else. How they lie, how they only care about their next drink, .... It was heart wrenching to listen. Just today my son point blank lied to me about drinking. He said that the person we are talking to isn't the person we once knew..... Yep, we are back on the roller coaster again. It was good while it lasted.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Hummingbird!

Glad to hear you are trying Al Anon!

Many, many addicts are also codependent. I've had a few come through my meetings working on this piece of their puzzle and they definitely brought a different viewpoint.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hummingbird....hang in there. I so know how you feel. When you get that reprieve of sanity (their being sober) - its like you can breathe again. Just when you forget for a moment about the misery that this person has caused you....the heartache, the worry...the stress....it starts all over again. Hugs to you....xoxox
Old 10-22-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As a recovering addict, I wouldn't say that your alcoholic doesn't love you. He does, but he will always put himself first as long as he drinks. This means you need to put yourself first, and make sure you're taken care of. You were right when you said this isn't the person you knew.

I'm glad you found Al-Anon. I currently work the 12-Steps in NA, and they also help me deal with my addicted loved one (my sister).