Notices

Introspection Promotes Recovery

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Introspection Promotes Recovery

On the AA chip is the old Greek admonition, said to have been near the Oracle at the Temple of Delphi, “Know Thyself!” If there is anything that differs humanity from the animals it is the ability to introspect. This is invaluable in recovering from alcoholism. For recovery is in many ways a battle within the brain, whereby the alcohol having numbed the more rational remnants of the cerebral cortex results in dominance of the more primitive parts, home of the dangerous and often treacherous AV. By introspection one may gain much which is helpful, even essential, in attaining sobriety. Things known to the ancient Chinese, as in the Tao Te Ching, written 2500 years ago, the Buddhists, the followers of the Upanishads, the Vedanta, and, above all, the ancient Greeks. “One thing at a time, One Step at a Time, One Day at a Time, Live in the Present, Prepare for the Future but do not brood about it, Do Not Seek to Change what Cannot be Changed, Cease Being Dependent on People, Places and Things, Seek Knowledge, Then Understanding, Then Forgiveness, especially Forgiveness of Oneself, Avoid Compulsive Perfectionism, Seek Aristotelian “Moderation”, avoid Excess, Greed, Vanity, Exercise Humility, Learn from Failure, from Suffering, Helping Others Helps Oneself.”
All these, and more, known to the Ancients, may be obtained by introspection, and are invaluable, probably essential in attaining sobriety, winning the war within the human brain.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an interesting take on this Bill. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Introspection is useful, yes, but it needs action too I think

I think that's implicit in your post, Bill, but I wanted to make it a little clearer for newcomers reading

I introspected myself into an alcoholic coma because I never acted on that introspection I was doing - you need both the wash and the spin cycle I think

D
Old 09-29-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Introspection can also lead to over thinking, but I know what you're saying. Look, but don't stare
Old 09-29-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Introspection can also lead to over thinking, but I know what you're saying. Look, but don't stare
I'm not particularly fond of the advice sometimes given not to "intellectualize" . If this means turning your brain off and not focussing on some of the things which I mentioned and merely doing what someone or some group tells you to do, then I dissent since the steps are fine provided that they are not "goose steps". The point which I attempt to make in this thread is that many of the maxims or some call them unfortunately cliches, which they certainly are not, have been around for millennia and were there because, not having access to the Big Book, the ancients discovered them on their own. How did they discover them? I agree with Dee that no one gets sober merely by sitting in a chair and "introspecting" or even "reading up on addiction". It's necessary to have a plan and to work on that plan, modify it if necessary. Hard work, upward climb. Blood, sweat and tears. The Greeks said that wisdom comes only through suffering.
So I'm doing my part. I'm suffering. I had a bad fall three weeks ago and although it did not break any bones, it resulted in severe bruises on my muscles. Unfortunately it also seems to have resulted in trauma in my bladder and in my enlarged prostate. I have had a Foley catheter for ten days and it's just been removed. I'm hoping tonight that I can take care of my needs without a catheter but if I can't I'll have to go over to the ER late tonight and get one put back in since I don't want the horrific spasms that I had last year after my heart valve operation. In the middle of the night I thought I was close to death in an hour or two. A sobering thought.
So that, my fellow sufferers, is why I suddenly noticed that this thread seems to repeat much of what I said previously in my Tao thread. So if it's too repetitive or preachy or otherwise distasteful you can disregard it. What we've got here is an 88 year old man who's having quite a bit of pain and who prays to any Higher Power that cares to listen that he can have his normal bodily functions restored without more surgery. As for "intellectualizing", if that means sitting on your butt and hoping that someone or something will "cure" your "disease", and that you don't have to climb the hill yourself (with others to help but not to carry you) then from my experience that just ain't the case. But if it means turning your brain off and goose stepping into recovery under the command of some fuhrer, to me that is simple anathma. End of discussion. I'm more interested in bodily functions at the moment. That's all I can produce for the moment. I do hope that as the evening goes on I can produce more.

W.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
On the AA chip is the old Greek admonition, said to have been near the Oracle at the Temple of Delphi, “Know Thyself!” If there is anything that differs humanity from the animals it is the ability to introspect. This is invaluable in recovering from alcoholism. For recovery is in many ways a battle within the brain, whereby the alcohol having numbed the more rational remnants of the cerebral cortex results in dominance of the more primitive parts, home of the dangerous and often treacherous AV. By introspection one may gain much which is helpful, even essential, in attaining sobriety. Things known to the ancient Chinese, as in the Tao Te Ching, written 2500 years ago, the Buddhists, the followers of the Upanishads, the Vedanta, and, above all, the ancient Greeks. “One thing at a time, One Step at a Time, One Day at a Time, Live in the Present, Prepare for the Future but do not brood about it, Do Not Seek to Change what Cannot be Changed, Cease Being Dependent on People, Places and Things, Seek Knowledge, Then Understanding, Then Forgiveness, especially Forgiveness of Oneself, Avoid Compulsive Perfectionism, Seek Aristotelian “Moderation”, avoid Excess, Greed, Vanity, Exercise Humility, Learn from Failure, from Suffering, Helping Others Helps Oneself.”
All these, and more, known to the Ancients, may be obtained by introspection, and are invaluable, probably essential in attaining sobriety, winning the war within the human brain.
Hi wpainterw, I agree wholeheartedly with every aspect of your post. These exercises in balancing life still hold true today. Unfortunately, with emerging technology, power structures, global governments and wars, these things you speak of are a lost art. Ask most kids in school today about these things and they will likely look back at you like you are speaking a different language. Societal decay has become all too prevalent in today's world (in my opinion). Knowledge of world history and ancient philosophy extremely valuable, but sadly have given way to Playstation 3, smartphones and $400 blue jeans.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

William, I wish I had had a parent or two who understood these things, and had passed them on to me. I think its wonderful to reflect on these things, and wish that they taught them in school, as they are valuable things to know and practice. I don't think that these truths ever become old fashioned... they are truths which if practiced, would make one a much better , stronger, and no doubt happier person.

I say a little prayer for you. Here's hoping that it goes well, with no further complications.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your suffering wpainterw and I hope you get to feeling better real soon.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bill,

I really look forward to your posts, your introspection and insight are invaluable. I hope you don't need to have another Foley tonight. Please keep us posted Bill. you are a treasure and inspiration.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My dearest friends! Is it not ironic that alcoholics, traditionally thought to be worthless drunks, have been , at least for me, the most caring, the most loving, indeed often the most heroic people I have ever known. I thank my Higher Power (a reality inscrutable to me but which I sense is Love, Beauty and Forgiveness), that I have had such friends on this website! Thank you for all your care and support.
It's now 11:10 p.m. Despite the Foley catheter having been removed at 4:00 P.M. my bodily functions seem still reluctant to function. If I have no success I shall call 911 and go over to the ER. They will no doubt reintroduce the Foley and we shall leave it in for another week and try again. If that fails too we may make another try a week later. I am in no hurry to have surgery. Few folks are. There are other options. At any rate we shall go with the flow. I shall model myself on General Grant, an alcoholic, who told Lincoln, "I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer" (winter in my case)

W
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you won't have to go to the ER Bill - best wishes

D
Old 09-29-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Prayers for you to get things flowing promptly.
Love your sense of humor!!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That was a great post, thank you very much. I am not going to agree with 100% of it without some further thought but you have given me a lot to think about.

Even though I don't know you, I hope you're doing ok!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Bill, thank you so much for your posts - thought provoking and insightful! You added something helpful to my day.

I'm sorry for your struggles tonight and hoping you will be well soon.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was taken to the ER shortly after midnight. it was found that I had a urinary tract infection which may well have explained my difficulty. For the past two weeks I have requested my doctors to take urine samples because I suspected that there was an infection. I am wearing a Foley Catheter again and due to deficiencies in medical advice my illness has been prolonged. I doubt that I will have to have surgery but if this is eventually required I shall ask for a consult and have it done elsewhere where I have more confidence in the quality of health care.
I am discouraged and yet did not lose my cool. As to this thread, I have no intent of "persuading" anyone or having anyone "agreeing" with me. I believe that there are many paths up Mt. Fuji. Sobriety isn't everything. It's the only thing for us alcoholics, to paraphrase that philosophical guru, the late Yogi Berra. Maybe you wll or will not agree with me when I say that I wish that there had been a Soberrecovery website back in 1954 when all this started with me. Today it has been an honor and a privilege to be one of the SoberRecovery family. It has helped me immensely. It has lessened my loneliness. Thank you!
i'm tired now, upset and only want to find some way for the
"caregivers' and "providers" to make it possible for me to dispose of bodily fluids in a way that was possible for me before i sought their advice. I'm going to try to get some sleep now.

W.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that this is just a temporary setback, Bill.

It's great to have you as part of the community too

D
Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Night W. Sleep well.. thanks for the thought provoking post. Its refreshing and makes your brain work.. like reading Shakespeare. We are all so lazy now with abbreviations, internet lingo, hashtag this hashtag that.

Cheers

Dru -
Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

From wpainterw: I was taken to the ER shortly after midnight. it was found that I had a urinary tract infection which may well have explained my difficulty. For the past two weeks I have requested my doctors to take urine samples because I suspected that there was an infection. I am wearing a Foley Catheter again and due to deficiencies in medical advice my illness has been prolonged. I

I was going to suggest this possibility before I read your post. The same thing happened to me years ago after a surgery after the catheter was removed. I was still in the hospital and 'had to go' so bad, tears were rolling down my eyes. The nurses said I would eventually 'go' if I had to bad enough. After at least 8 hours, the doc said to put it back in. Well, like you, it turned out I had a really bad infection. I'm glad things are moving ok for you now wpainterw,
Old 09-30-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Bill, hope you're feeling better this morning. Thank you for your insightful posts.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HI Bill, I just recently discovered your posts. You had responded to one of mine. I for one find you incredibly interesting and admirable. I you things turn the corner healthwise for you and you feel better. I absolutely love reading your posts. Were you a writer at some point in your life?