Spoiling Myself with Something Frivolous

Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spoiling Myself with Something Frivolous

I have absolutely zero comfort when it comes to spoiling myself in big ways. Oh, sure, I spend a lot of time & energy on myself - but money? No. There is ALWAYS a greater need in my world & never a great reason to spend what I don't HAVE to. Especially without a coupon, ha!

Any of you with ACoA backgrounds will totally relate to how difficult it is to spend money on myself. How that translates to the feeling that I'm doing something "wrong" or "bad".

But today I had a Carpe Diem moment & I used part of my bonus to buy a package of 8 laser lipo treatments to help me do some body sculpting following my recent weight loss. I've been working SO HARD physically & emotionally to change my body, my mental habits & my emotions related to food. I've been researching & thinking about this for a long time & an even longer time ago I swore to myself that if I ever got into shape again I would do "something" to help with the cosmetic part of the weight loss - targeting specific areas & helping with skin toning/tightening. Today I made good on my promise to me.

I'm SO excited! I have my first appt Thursday afternoon & after talking with the tech at the spa, I'm even more convinced that this is the right type of procedure for me with where I'm at right now with my weight loss.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How wonderful. Good for you. When we feel good about ourselves we can do more good. Plus you have got to share how it works for you. I have been thinking about it myself.

Yay you!!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You deserve it, girl! You work hard and should treat yourself more often.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I've been researching & thinking about this for a long time & an even longer time ago I swore to myself that if I ever got into shape again I would do "something" to help with the cosmetic part of the weight loss - targeting specific areas & helping with skin toning/tightening.
Hi FireSprite,

You've come a long way in your recovery. Congratulations on getting very healthy in many ways!! The phrase quoted could be either a good thing that's in balance, or something obsessive with being "better" or trying for perfection in another part of life. Just a little something to think about... that you likely have taken into account. I've only known a couple of women who've had this procedure -- one on the healthy end of things, the other not so much. Both were glad to have done it.

During my physical recovery (from the varied affects of the family disease of alcoholism, and an injury this summer) I've found people who helped me yet had their own agenda, and many more who are on the path of health I'd like to follow.

I trust and know you're finding your way to where is right for you, and in this I applaud you.

Is this vanity or pride? Is it physically and mentally healthy? I have no research or desire in this area yet; I cannot say that won't ever be the truth for me. I'm 48. I see myself getting much more physically active and capable. As that happens, who knows what else will change in my view of myself, my body, and the world around me?

Ktf
Old 09-29-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's s great - good for you!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Good for you firesprite
Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love you guys.

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
The phrase quoted could be either a good thing that's in balance, or something obsessive with being "better" or trying for perfection in another part of life. Just a little something to think about... that you likely have taken into account................ Is this vanity or pride? Is it physically and mentally healthy? I have no research or desire in this area yet; I cannot say that won't ever be the truth for me. I'm 48. I see myself getting much more physically active and capable. As that happens, who knows what else will change in my view of myself, my body, and the world around me?

Ktf
Yes, exactly. I've thought about it from all sides for sure. Vanity or pride? Probably a touch of both, I won't lie. It's all about Me right now.

It's because I love myself; I love my Self & I love my body right now. I never have before.

Because if my body never changes one bit more I know I'd still be just as happy with all of my hard work. I liken this to the perfect accessory or purse, not the entire outfit.

Because I can't even tell you how much weight I've lost exactly - I refuse to obsess over numbers. I judge my health by how I breathe, how clothing fits, is my mind clear?

Because when I was around 8 I started using layers of fat around my body to insulate myself emotionally & was nearly 200 lbs by the time I was 16. Even though I lost that weight & spent many, many thinner years my body always carried the scars & signs of my previous abuse. No matter how "thin" I've ever been, certain stubborn pockets have always remained & no amount of exercise has ever removed them completely. The invasiveness of actual lipo scares the bejesus out of me so this non-invasive alternative is my dream.

It's because Honeypig's daily posting today was about letting go of our focus on money & it read like a kick in the pants as this topic was heavy on my mind today.

It's because my doc says it's not a bad way to follow up the regimen that I just finished up about a month ago - this package also includes B12 injections which may help this metabolic transition, lol.

I learned from CodeJob that personal mantras can be so incredibly empowering when you repeat them over & over with each foot strike of the pavement during a walk or run. Now, I plan on meditating on cutting ties with my previous habits & leaving them behind forever during these sessions. Like scissors - snip, snip, snip! Severing, permanently.

It's because I love & adore all kinds of bodywork. Exercise, body brushing, massages, reflexology, acupuncture, pedicures, face & hair scrubs & masks, you name it.

It's because 4 days ago my friend's ex-wife overdosed but I am still alive.

Because at our first school activity, DD was challenged by her teacher to create a haiku on the spot & the first line was, "I am AMAZING."

Because I feel like during my lifetime my body has been the physical battleground for a turf war - and I am ready to reclaim it in peace.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FireSprite, my dear, dear friend. I love you.

When you share of yourself, you give such a gift to me. To others here. May you receive back in multitudes this love, es&h, and the spirit of that you give. I'm so very happy for you!!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is amazing! I am so happy for you!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The title is mis-leading. It doesn't seem spoiling or frivolous at all.

Another part of the journey of uncovering hurts and wounds. Of healing. Of finding you beyond those things.

Whether you do this or not, you are very brave, not vain.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FireSprite, what can I say--you are the greatest! You've inspired me in many ways, and I'm grateful to you. You certainly deserve to explore this option and see what you learn from it.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Good on you FS. Are you a person who enjoys wearing nice clothes and putting outfits together? Losing some weight can really boost morale if you are.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You go girl!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pia

I am smiling from ear to ear. What can i say that others already said!!!!! You deserve it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome on keeping promise to yourself!!!! Let us know how the treatment works out! I'm sure many of us are pretty intrigued.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Any of you with ACoA backgrounds will totally relate to how difficult it is to spend money on myself. How that translates to the feeling that I'm doing something "wrong" or "bad".

Oh god, this is me to a tee. Made me laugh while reading it. I'll spend tons of money on miscellaneous things for my loved ones (addict included), but heaven forbid I spend $6 on the pair of socks I really need.

You deserve it! TREAT YO-SELF.

I'll try to do the same
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I go in tomorrow for my first treatment & I'm beyond excited at this point.

I had to reschedule last week because my car broke down. It's STILL a problem & actually in the shop as we speak - for about the next 48 hours, . The old me would've taken this is as a sign that something as superficial as this needs to be cancelled. No matter how good of a deal, I would never indulge with such a big, unplanned expense popping up like this.

But the new me says, Eff It. This isn't a sign from my HP that I should cancel, it's a test of my commitment to myself to see if I will, again, martyr myself to the back burner. I'm not backing out on my promise to Me this time. Just like I have always made it happen for everyone else, for every reason, I'll do it for Me this time.

I'll be using the quiet session time to meditate on my goals - which, you all know, involve ridding myself of my emotional attachment to food.

In addition to my yoga & meditation practices, I've been learning the mudras & other components so I'm going to use the kubera mudra during my meditation. Time to rework some internal wiring..... wish me luck!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bravo! Indulge in spades, you've earned the right to enjoy yourself. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love this! You deserve this so much.

Let us know how it goes!!!!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have absolutely zero comfort when it comes to spoiling myself in big ways. Oh, sure, I spend a lot of time & energy on myself - but money? No. There is ALWAYS a greater need in my world & never a great reason to spend what I don't HAVE to. Especially without a coupon, ha!

But today I had a Carpe Diem moment & I used part of my bonus to buy a package of 8 laser lipo treatments to help me do some body sculpting following my recent weight loss. I've been working SO HARD physically & emotionally to change my body, my mental habits & my emotions related to food. I've been researching & thinking about this for a long time & an even longer time ago I swore to myself that if I ever got into shape again I would do "something" to help with the cosmetic part of the weight loss - targeting specific areas & helping with skin toning/tightening. Today I made good on my promise to me.

I'm SO excited! I have my first appt Thursday afternoon & after talking with the tech at the spa, I'm even more convinced that this is the right type of procedure for me with where I'm at right now with my weight loss.