Notices

Newcomer seeking advice

Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer seeking advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and the road to recovery. After this weekend I finally realized I needed to quit drinking. I have been drinking for many years, despite only being 24. I may not drink every single day, but still several days a week. When I do drink it is usually to excess. Over the weekend I went out for a few drinks with my boyfriend and some of our friends. While drinking, I found myself frustrated with my boyfriend and trying to pick arguments. I then ended up beligerent drunk and flirting with a guy I knew he didn't like to make him jealous. When I woke up yesterday, I had the most awful hangover and a lot of shame. I love my boyfriend and hate that I have hurt him in this way. I did things I would never do while sober. Today, I am skipping class because I still feel so poorly after that night of drinking. I am two days without a drink and am pushing to stay that way. I have other health issues that are also made worse by my drinking so hopefully that will be motivation to stop. My questions now are:
1) How do I make it up to the people I've hurt?
2) What do you do to keep yourself from taking that drink?
3) Do you reward yourself for making it without a drink, if so, how?
4) Are you ever able to be around people who are drinking without drinking as well?

I desperately want to change. I have tried to quit before, but never knew what steps to take or direction to go in.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome
Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

WELCOME TO SR!

Originally Posted by ovrslov View Post
4) Are you ever able to be around people who are drinking without drinking as well?
1) By being a better person now.
2) I don't pour alcohol into the hole under my nose.
3) I used to with ice cream, but sobriety is its own reward now.
4) All the time.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When it comes to the hurt we cause because of our drinking, we make it up to them by not doing it again. That means not drinking. Ever. Only then does "I'm sorry, that will never happen again," carry any weight.

That varies. But sobriety starts with being committed to never drinking again, learning to recognize when our resolve is weakening, and doing whatever it takes to maintain and strengthen that resolve. Recovery is less about not drinking and more about learning to live a sober life without relying on alcohol.

I had to change my whole "reward" system, especially about not drinking. Not everything requires a reward. But some people treat themselves to spa trips, hot baths, deserts, etc rather than drink.

It took a good year sober before I was around any drinkers. And even now, at five years, I don't have many activities I do where there is drinking. No fun being around drunks.

I desperately want to change. I have tried to quit before, but never knew what steps to take or direction to go in.
If you are in university, the school might have counseling that could help with substance abuse.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response! It definitely made sense. I hadn't thought about it being learning how to be sober instead of just not drinking. And as far as the counseling at the school, it is not something I thought of. I will definitely look into that!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ovrslov!!