Notices

looking sad

Old 09-28-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool looking sad

as i read threads i am seeing it does not get easier? ugggg... i need someone to post something positive..
Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it does!! Look at some of the other forum's like the alcoholic forum, gratitude list, so forth.

This is like the little fishbowl where all the new people come for support, which you will find, but there are other places within this forum with a lot of positivity - don't just limit yourself to reading the newcomers
Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums, sweetflower!

Everything gets easier. The first few weeks of sobriety are uncomfortable, no way around it. Emotions are raw, physical discomfort is common, a general feeling of anxiety and fear is the predominant feeling.

It gets so much better, though. Just keep on the path. There are a lot of AA meetings where you live, maybe try to find some. I went to Women's Only meetings in the Seattle area (I'm kind of assuming you're female. There are men's groups, and coed ones that are great too.) It's good to be around other people who will tell you you're not going crazy.

It's so much better in time.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For example I woke up this morning not exhausted, in a chipper and positive mood, I was out the door on time instead of feeling sick and rushed. My house is absolutely spotless and smells great because I have so much more energy that picking up after myself and making sure the house is swept is a simple fifteen minute task instead of feeling too sick to even deal with.

I have so many creative ideas that it's amazing (one of my hobbies is painting, I've neglected it for a few years because too tired and no ideas)

I don't fly off the handle as easily, my temper and emotions are so much more even and moderate. My friend told me the other day "you haven't sounded this calm in years" plus my relationships with people have never been better and are so much more positive and fulfilling. I don't get frustrated trying to have a conversation because the alcohol is not confusing me and making me read too much into simple statements.

It's hard but it is so so so very much worth it - just gotta fight through that nasty beginning to get started on creating the new you
Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweetflower, it definitely gets easier! That's not to say that one day you will wake up and everything is suddenly euphoric and all of life's problems have vanished.

I came to SR with little hope, after 21 years of heavy and daily drinking I didn't know there was a life outside of the bottle. I was so wrong.

It is tough early on... all of the new emotions, feelings, struggles and personal strength it takes to not drink is not easy.

That being said, the outcome is so worth every ounce of effort you will put in. You will see progress as you go, milestones that you will hit when you succeed, and; like many here; your life improving with each day you don't drink.

One thing that is for sure, if you start drinking again then nothing will improve. You will continue to live your life under the constraints and deception of alcohol.

You are strong enough to make this happen. Take it one hour at a time, then one day at a time. What ever it takes, just don't drink. You won't regret this decision... I promise.

Life is so much more rewarding and clear without the destruction of alcohol. You've got a blank slate in front of you, build your life the way you want... I'm guessing you want to build it without alcohol. You've got the power to make that happen.

Stay strong and lean on us when ever you need Sweetflower.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It really does get better Sweetflower!! It is slow going at first, like the others said, but gradually things will get better.

I found that it became easier to handle whatever problems that came up, I enjoyed the good times more, I started noticing things I never noticed before (was the sky always this freaking gorgeous!?!?)

In essence, I started living rather than just existing.

Keep at it! You can do it and it is worth it!!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's so hard to remember that people don't always post on support forums when things are good! Chin up, my friend!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi sweetflower -- I can tell you that it absolutely, positively got easier and better for me! There are lots here who have that experience too.

The beginning is hard and it takes work, but life can be so much better without alcohol.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It DOES get better. You gotta hang in there, give it time and most of all: Be GOOD to yourself.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there

if you start craving start posting saying so there are ppl here that will help you through it

It's going to be ok
Old 09-28-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sweetflower!! You can do this!!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It gets a bunch easier - sometimes I go days without thinking about drinking and I know in the beginning I didn't think that would ever happen.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It gets better.
Unbelievably so for me.
Just keep going - one day at a time. Keep reading, learning and discovering. Things DO get better
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh it gets better, better than you could ever believe! I'm only three months sober and the changes are phenomenal.

I wish I'd never drunk a single drop of alcohol, because I could have felt this good for the last 13 years. My life is a real disaster at the moment, but I can deal with it now, and do it with a big fat smile on my face