Notices

Cell Phones

Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cell Phones

I was just informed that in detox cell phones are not allowed in some places. Is this true? I'm can't really go a week without being able to conduct my affairs. I have responsibilities. So, I'm pretty worried about this. I'll probably have to wait longer to go, and even then I'm not sure I can go that long without being able to contact people for personal reasons, business, etc.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are in rehab, your focus needs to be on recovery and only on recovery. This is a life and death illness.

What about a medical detox and AA?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This helped me:

If I didn't give 100 percent to sobriety all of my affairs would have imploded anyways. I would have died.

Not to be melodramatic, but none of the affairs can't wait a month. Then you'll really have all your ducks in a row.

Is it work stuff?

I'd bet money you know some quality people who can help you out or wait a month for you.

If it's your children, they can wait a month too. You are giving them the gift of a sober and present parent.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some places allow it, but I gather the majority do not, for the reason Sugarbear gave.

If you're really worried you're than indispensible then it makes sense not to drink anymore anyway because this really is a progressive decision and next time the choice may not be yours to make.

If you can't quit by yourself then you're running out of options, really?

D
Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know, tea0005. But as the others say, this is life or death. The rest can wait.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

My sister was allowed after a month
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ask for help!

Work: they can and will figure it out. It might not be perfect but they can. They have to.

You own business: manager? Family member? Off to vacation sign?

Family: parent, significant other, sibling, etc....someone can make sure bills get paid and the house doesn't catch on fire.

In my own situation, I prepared the people at work for my "vacation" like any other. For my own business, my manager handled things. For my home, my best friend was given my phone, my debit card, and instructions.

Everything actually worked out really well. Think outside the box on this to make it work! You're too important not to!!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your an alcoholic, you may not have any affairs left to conduct if not go to rehab. Look, I get it. I am a lawyer and have a very busy schedule. Been there and left for same reason and ended up almost losing my wife, almost got arrested and almost lost job on the very next relapse.

Funny how an alcoholic mind can convince us that all of these other things are more important than our lives.

If you ain't ready, you ain't ready. If you are truly defeated and ready to surrender, taking a short break for rehab to save your life should be a no brainer.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was allowed mines. I don't see the problem tbh. Recovery is the absolute focus, but you get some ME time as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
This helped me:

If I didn't give 100 percent to sobriety all of my affairs would have imploded anyways. I would have died.

Not to be melodramatic, but none of the affairs can't wait a month. Then you'll really have all your ducks in a row.

Is it work stuff?

I'd bet money you know some quality people who can help you out or wait a month for you.

If it's your children, they can wait a month too. You are giving them the gift of a sober and present parent.
^^^^^Exactly this. Until you are well, nothing else matters. I run a small business and my 72 year old father told me, "you aren't going to have a business to run if you don't spend a few days and get straight". And he was right.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's what made me more determined to work aa. I own a couple of small businesses and taking 30 days or more would have been tough. Looking back now I can see where the focus is valuable. Most of the people I know went to rehab.

Edit: I just reread and saw you were talking about a week for detox. Do it. There's nobody that can't take a week off for this. Everything will be there when you get back.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like the old AV giving you a reason to not stop drinking.

Be honest with yourself. Get sober