Notices

Fainted from unknowingly drinking alcohol.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fainted from unknowingly drinking alcohol.

I have 5 months sober and do not count this as a relapse.

I was in NY city a few weeks ago and the lady me and my husband were staying with made me a "special" cup of coffee with all kinds of spices which I didn't know included some alcohol. I thought it tasted kinda funny but drank it all.

We were eating breakfast and all the sudden it felt like someone was turning the dial down to all my senses to the point where I thought I was about to die and then passed out in my chair. It was terrifying.

I found out after that there was booze in the coffee I drank. I had no feeling from the booze. It was so strange. Long story short, when you quit stay quit. This surprise encounter with the devil drink just reinforced what a dangerous thing it can be to drink after having some sober time.

I love being sober. When you quit stay quit. You never know your body will react.

Much love all.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Who serves guests alcohol laced coffee for breakfast? I'd have been furious regardless of whether I was in your (recovering) shoes or a regular drinker. Glad it didn't knock you off your path of sobriety. I'll bet you scared the daylights out of them!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't consider it a relapse either.

Intentions play a HUGE role in recovery.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She felt really bad about it. The whole restaurant was freaked out. I was mad when I found out but more relieved that I didn't actually die. I told her the night before that I didn't drink anymore but she forgot cause she was a pot head.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're ok gettingsmarter

D
Old 09-26-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I would've been mad too, even if I was actively drinking- what if I had to drive?!?!
Very rude
Old 09-26-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I wonder what other stuff was in there besides the booze?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

How scary!! glad you're alright but sorry you had to go through that.
Xoxo
Old 09-27-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That would suck!! Glad you are ok. I was at an arts event last weekend and they had a carbonated fruit punch, I took one sip and it just reminded me of an alcoholic drink so I stuck to water. The other non drinkers I was with didn't mind it but I find I am very cautious as to what I drink these days.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree, not a relapse. Something like that happenned to me but not coffee. I used to use a tincture for colds. It's called Echinaforce. I was about a month sober when I felt a bad cold coming on, so I took the 30 droplets with water. I was trying to be hypervigilant so I took another 30 drops with water. I never READ the ingredients. I had taken it for so many other colds. Turns out, it's just echinacea laced with alcohol. I passed out. I don't consider it a relapse and it doesn't set my sober date back. Lesson learned. I take dry echinacea tablets, no tinctures for me anymore as I have since learned that the vast majority are kept alive and stable by alcohol. Sorry that had to happen for you.