Notices

Depression and alcoholism

Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and alcoholism

I just read an interesting article in the New York Times about depression and alcoholism. The basics: people who suffer from lifelong depression seem to be more prone to alcoholism and should be taught to be especially careful from an early age. Otoh, alcoholism can also cause depression.

So, it's a double whammy!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep! A double wammy for sure...both feed into one another, it seems...
Old 09-26-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't need an article to tell me what I already know haha.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, and a downward cycle
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I think depression is a component of alcoholism.......
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For a while I couldn't tell if I drank because I was depressed or if I was depressed because I drank.

Then I realized it's all one big tangled mess, and one thing was certain: either way the alcohol wasn't helping.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that this just goes to show that a sobriety plan needs to have elements of a mental/emotional health plan as well.

KP
Old 09-27-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
For a while I couldn't tell if I drank because I was depressed or if I was depressed because I drank.

Then I realized it's all one big tangled mess, and one thing was certain: either way the alcohol wasn't helping.
I think you hit the nail on the head there.

MH problem or not, drinking makes everything worse.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Got 'em both. For me, acceptance of what I've been dealt with and working on recovery is key. Any chance of a link to that article? Thanks for the post.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I just read an interesting article in the New York Times about depression and alcoholism. The basics: people who suffer from lifelong depression seem to be more prone to alcoholism and should be taught to be especially careful from an early age. Otoh, alcoholism can also cause depression.

So, it's a double whammy!
Lol, love academia. Depression may have a high correlation with, but does not cause alcoholism. One has alcoholism from birth. I had that restlessness, irritability, and discontent as far back as I can remember. I can even see it young children today.

Alcohol is a depressant and it also can cause situations that lead to depression: isolation, failures in relationships, job issues, money issues and etc.

At the end of the day, none of this chicken or the egg stuff matters.

If you are an alcoholic, you have lost the power if choice when it comes to drinking. Awareness means little. Knowing your spouse will leave you the next time won't stop an alcoholic from drinking. Knowing you could lose your job won't stop an alcoholic from drinking. Knowing that you could get arrested for the nth time and lose everything wont stop an alcoholic from drinking. If true, awareness of a correlation with depression certainly won't stop an all colic from drinking.

The alcoholic mind has two tendencies: (1) extreme and irrational fear about the future; and (2) regret and sadness about the past. It is the second criterion that can lead to a depressive order in an alcoholic. Treat the underlying alcoholism and one can be cured of both.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am someone who has had lifelong depression and I so wish I had known its implications. I truly believe that if I had had my depression diagnosed and treated as a teen or young adult, I would have avoided the pitfall of alcoholism. But, the depression urged me on in the sense that I really didn't care what happened when I drank. On top of that, I have low blood-sugar, so when I started to drink, my body loved the sugar fix. I was two for two.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You say my thoughts to the letter except with me it was anxiety nervousness symptoms rather than depression .

However on withdrawal from a binge I would use diazepam and then the black clouds of depression descended for days ..................... until the next binge , how crazy is that .
Old 09-27-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Although some have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, they don't think that's the case for everyone. I have absolutely no alcoholics in my family - they are all very, very moderate drinkers. They used to think that alcoholism was strictly genetic but not any longer.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I am someone who has had lifelong depression and I so wish I had known its implications. I truly believe that if I had had my depression diagnosed and treated as a teen or young adult, I would have avoided the pitfall of alcoholism. But, the depression urged me on in the sense that I really didn't care what happened when I drank. On top of that, I have low blood-sugar, so when I started to drink, my body loved the sugar fix. I was two for two.
A heavy drinker can moderate, an alcoholic cannot. You either got it or you don't. Don't hang on to regret about failure to diagnose. There are many depressed people that never turn to alcohol.

Having been around AA since 1983, 10+ treatments since 1981 and some education in the form of a doctorate degree, I have seen many over the years that were alcoholics of the hopeless variety that had perfectly normal and functional families with no signs of alcoholism.

The big book describes the various types of drinkers: moderate, heavy and the alcoholic. They amazingly nailed it long ago.

My heart goes out to those suffering from depression. God speed and hang in there. Brighter days are ahead.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I absolutely agree. They do not hold hands, but they do dance very closely together, especially when the one (alcohol) is present. It makes the depression more active for me. Then there's the next day where the booze has worn off, but that depression is still dancing strong with its eyes closed, no idea it's partner has left.

Add in some spicy music of shame and regret the next day and there you have a perfect storm for your next drink... Then your good friends are back dancing again!

It's vicious, but can be broken. I am only at 2 weeks, but am dedicated on never taking that first drink. I know it is hardest after that honeymoon phase is gone, but I have not hit the bottom nor do I ever want to.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
A heavy drinker can moderate, an alcoholic cannot. You either got it or you don't. Don't hang on to regret about failure to diagnose. There are many depressed people that never turn to alcohol.
And, many who do turn to alcohol, as I did. I am sharing my own experience.