Notices

Went to AA last night - liked it

Old 09-26-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to AA last night - liked it

Yesterday evening I was feeling so depressed because of my disappearing job and had no one to be with. I just needed to be around some people for awhile.
I've been to two other meetings so I decided to go and just sit last night.
As I pulled into the parking lot it looked like I was not going to find a space and have to park on the busy street.
Then a guy putting stuff into his trunk waved to me and said his space would be open in two minutes. VERY cool and thoughtful. I real example of the kindness of the AA community.
In Southern California nobody does that. You're on your own.
Then in the meeting the shares got to me. Some of the people had been on vacation visiting family - which they liked. But they missed the folks in the meetings. That really struck me too.
Of course I drank after the meeting and today I'm in a deep depression. Couldn't get out of bed till noon.
And because I've isolated myself by coming home and drinking alone every night I had no one to talk to.

So I'm going to a meeting tonight. I plan to ask for help. I've got no where else to go.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.

When you come home tonight, why not log in here and then you won't feel so alone. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

GREAT idea Anna. Will do.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, you're not alone. We're here
Old 09-26-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had a good experience -- keep coming back, there's lots of support at AA. And people there truly know what you're going through.

And great to post here too.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad that you decided to go to AA.
Also you should check out Strat's positive thinking thread.
People share their tools and their experience on how they got through early sobriety.
There are also daily exercises. I feel that some of what is being shared my really be useful to you and I hope to see you there
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-thread.html
Old 09-26-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

" So I'm going to a meeting tonight. I plan to ask for help. I've got no where else to go."

That reminds me of another line ... You must be a #$%*!+ing Genius !!!
The 'obvious' motivator for MANY of us is so simple it is often overlooked!

AA 'Rocketed me into the 4th Dimension of Existence' ... It took a lot of WORK ... reading the Big Book, doing the Steps with my Sponsor (that took me breaking out of my shell ... to actually ask someone to be my Sponsor) ... and breaking out of my shell of self-inflicted isolation to get involved with people that were 'willing' to be my friend. (I was almost incapable of accepting myself as worth being a friend).

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... it is a Wonderful thing ClearLight
Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good stuff all. Thanks!
I'm going to check out that positive thinking thread, Carlotta.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
Yesterday evening I was feeling so depressed because of my disappearing job and had no one to be with. I just needed to be around some people for awhile.
I've been to two other meetings so I decided to go and just sit last night.
As I pulled into the parking lot it looked like I was not going to find a space and have to park on the busy street.
Then a guy putting stuff into his trunk waved to me and said his space would be open in two minutes. VERY cool and thoughtful. I real example of the kindness of the AA community.
In Southern California nobody does that. You're on your own.
Then in the meeting the shares got to me. Some of the people had been on vacation visiting family - which they liked. But they missed the folks in the meetings. That really struck me too.
Of course I drank after the meeting and today I'm in a deep depression. Couldn't get out of bed till noon.
And because I've isolated myself by coming home and drinking alone every night I had no one to talk to.

So I'm going to a meeting tonight. I plan to ask for help. I've got no where else to go.

I'm curious-- do you work for the sinking ship Haggen like me? My store is staying open but they have certainly run us through the mill and I'm going to be looking as soon as I get my kid's dental taken care of and I can get a resume made. I am also just not at a great point in my recovery to get out there yet, I'm grateful I at least have some time. It must be earthshatteringly difficult to get out there in early stages of recovery and I am so glad you found some support. I have thought about eventually going to Goodwill jobs to look for some help as I'm just about clueless after working for Albertsons 23 years.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bluefairy
I work at a waaaay different place. I'm getting a 90 day Thursday notice before they let me go. Probably most of our department. Thank God for the notice. I place I used to work closed a few months ago with no notice to the employees. And their last checks bounced.
It must be earthshatteringly difficult to get out there in early stages of recovery
You know - I never thought about that until you posted it. The thing is - I know I won't be able to make it if I'm drinking.
Because the time I will need to look for work will be taken up drinking or recovering from a night of drinking. And that will lead to a spiral down to a place I don't even want to think about.
Thanks so much for your post. It was enlightening to me.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Top Tip: When you go along to AA, and people ask how you are, don't say 'Fine'. Tell them the truth. Then they can help you.

My friend J told me that she has real problems getting out the door to go to meetings and feels isolated midweek. Now I send her a message pre-meeting to say shall we meet at hers and go together; and we've arranged to go for midweek coffee. I can do that for her because she explained how she's struggling.

And if people offer you numbers, taken them and use them. That's what they're for
Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Beccy -
Ha! I just answered your post on another thread.
So far nobody has said anything to me other than a "Welcome" when I come in. But I have been leaving the minute the meeting is over.
So, I plan to share my next meeting and maybe that will bring them out. In your other post you mentioned peace and hope - I sure do want a bit of that.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
In your other post you mentioned peace and hope - I sure do want a bit of that.
9th step promises
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we WILL know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

welcome to largest organization many were afraid to join.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I for one took those promises with a pinch of salt when I entered the rooms. But as I worked the steps and followed the program, they continued to materialize. It's pretty wonderful really
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I saw Dee post this before and It really helped me a lot. lol ... But yeah definitely letting it all out is better than bottling it all up inside. You cant be safer when opening up with this community and AA. When you think your alone, it can be rough but open up you'll realize there are many just like you going through the same things. If you get a crave... check this post By Dee.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Dru -
Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow- the ninth step.

I'm finally ready to at least try AA steps out. Tonight is a Beginners meeting so I want to be at that one for sure.

It really helps to hear folks talk about how it has helped them out. And not in a glassy-eyed religious zealot kind of way.

To be honest there is a lot of stuff in the Big Book that bothers me. But I intend to take what works for me.

It really does help to come here and post and read. Right now I like reading about the success stories because it gives me some hope.

Thanks for your posts.