Notices

Thank You Everyone!

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You Everyone!

I've been posting on here for about a month, having stopped drinking about 3 months before that (after reading advice on here before that).

Since then I've spent 1-2 hours a day on here, reading other people's stories, posting any thoughts or advice I hoped might be useful.

I went back and re-read my introductory post and saw how I said AVRT was the method that resonated most, and is what helped me quit. Though I wrote how I hadn't made a Big Plan to quit as I'm not someone who likes being told what to do, even by myself.

I realise now that was a lie. I hadn't made a Big Plan because buried in the back of my mind was the thought that I might at some point decide I wanted to drink again. Permanent sobriety scared me. And I'm not someone who breaks my word. I couldn't make a commitment I thought I might not be able to keep.

The reason I want to thank everyone is that coming on here every day, reading all the stories, kept me focussed on what it means to be sober. I read Allen Carr's book which exploded all the myths I realise I still had about the benefits of alcohol. Every day I became more aware of how much better my life is now that I'm sober. The highs are higher. The lows aren't as low.

So anyway, I now know my decision is final. I'm ready to make my Big Plan.

I am a non-drinker. And I will never drink again.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honesty with self is the biggest step one can make. Congratulations. Hang in there. It will only get better.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.
Important things for me were KEEP COMING and acceptance that I cannot drink alcohol in safety. Shortly afterward the work began on changing the person I was drinking, many years and still changing.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Alcohol is a big lie

All the adds on TV for beer and booze, many of the anti d. Drugs being sold, the health care appointments, etc etc...make money for the govt.

Alcohol also appeases the masses..keeps them home, unmotivated...off the streets in many cases. It keeps us quelled...dumbed down...slowly...it is not like meth...

The govt likes this...that is why it is legal.

Back in the olden days, drinking alcohol was normal. Folks did it out of necessity. Alcoholit drinks could not contain any living organisms. They didn't have sanitary processes. So, that is why alcohol is now prevalent.

But, life expectancy in the 18 and early 1900.s was around 50 years.

So, if you didn't die of some disease, you ended up dieing of respiratory failure multiplied by excessive alcohol consumption.

The world according to d122y...
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bravo, OpenTuning. Congratulations to you. This is simply the best news I am likely going to hear alllll day today. WooHOOOOOOOO!

Onward with your badass self now.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this OpenTuning!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go OpenTuning

D
Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go for it open tuning!! No time like the present when it comes to quitting. I had perpetuated quitting myself for years and those years I will never get back.
I am making an assumption here based on your screen name but I found playing guitar as great therapy . When I had quit drinking I dove face first into playing because I found all that concentration really kept my mind off of wanting to drink.

Good luck with your journey. Scott
Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the support. Really does mean a lot. Can't quite believe how far I've come in my thoughts about alcohol since stumbling on this site.

Yes, Csharp, playing guitar has become my new passion. Took it up a couple of years ago at 48, and find myself in a band now. Luckily I realised very early on that I play better sober anyway. It's a fantastic way to relax and not think about anything else but what you're trying to play. It's supposed to take 10,000 hours to master anything, and I'm about 2,000 hours in so far, so I've got lots to keep me busy for quite a few years to come
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, OpenTuning!

This site was a life-saver for me as well. I'm glad you found it, and are reinforcing your plan to quit drinking, forever!

I feel that I am now afraid of alcohol, in a way; maybe wary is a more accurate word. I know what it can do, how it can entrap us, make us a hostage, so I want to keep it far away from me! Life has improved in all areas for me since I quit drinking. The pros outweigh the cons by far, so I now feel validated in my choice to quit forever. Such a freeing feeling, isn't it?

I, too, have been playing my guitar more often, getting that passion back for making music. Now I just have to work on the singing, lol...I'm afraid I may have damaged the vocal chords, or that ship has already sailed, lol.

I wish you the best on your sober journey,
may peace with you,
~Heartfan
Old 09-23-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
...So anyway, I now know my decision is final. I'm ready to make my Big Plan.

^^This is fantastic!^^

That moment when we accept the simple but difficult truth/solution is priceless. It took me two years after I first found SR to get to that moment, but I finally got there too. Feels pretty great, doesn't it?

Congrats, OpenTuning!

Delfin
Old 09-24-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome
Old 09-24-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heartfan82 View Post

I, too, have been playing my guitar more often, getting that passion back for making music. Now I just have to work on the singing, lol...I'm afraid I may have damaged the vocal chords, or that ship has already sailed, lol.

I wish you the best on your sober journey,
may peace with you,
~Heartfan
A little bit off topic, but regarding your voice, try googling Gary Catona, and I think vocal building app, or voice building. I've been trying to learn to sing along to the songs we're coming up with, but had problems with both range and tuning. Downloaded a voice building app of his to my iPhone and its worked miracles for me. Heard about him in a BBC doc about a UK singer who lost her voice playing Maria in the Sound of Music. You never know, might help get your voice back into shape again