Notices

One day in a row! 43 workouts

Old 09-23-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day in a row! 43 workouts

I just turned 43 years old last month. The last 6 years have been a struggle, but alas fate has intervened and well, here goes nothing. After getting fed up with how I've been living my life over the past few years, yesterday morning I stood up, walked over to the fridge and grabbed the half bottle of wine left over from last nights drinking routine, walked to the sink and poured it all down the drain and threw the bottle away. (In the recycling of course). I've done this before you know. Done the whole show. Poured the alcohol down the drain as a symbolic testimony for all (just me) to see, to show the entire world (again, just me) how serious I am this time about quitting drinking. It's never worked, but it sure is dramatic. Temporarily triumphant, I walked back over to my computer where I was before all this started and sat back down and just wondered to myself, "how many days are there left in 2015?" This is how I sometimes start conversations with myself that might lead to setting new goals that will never get accomplished. Tentatively, I typed my query into the Google and found a slew handy-dandy date range calculators. I clicked a promising looking one and typed in yesterday's date, 9/22/15, and my end date, which for some reason I chose 1/1/16, which technically includes day 1 of next year. Low and behold the answer came back: There were 14 weeks and 3 days left until 1/1/16. 14 weeks and 3 days...well that maybe...no, wait...yes...that's...that's just enough time. If I don't quit not staying unsober and do 3 workouts per week starting tomorrow until the end of the year, that's 43 workouts. Big deal you say. So what's that supposed to even mean you ask? Nice math stupid mother ******, because it's actually...OK SHUT THE HELL UP and I'll tell you what this is all supposed to mean. I'm 43 ******* years old. Yes, you're right in that I actually haven't done the nitty gritty math to see how it all works out EXACTLY, but it's close enough. If I work out 43 times this year, 1 time for each year I've lived, then maybe I can get my life back on track. You see NOW? Is it purely a coincidence that I looked up yesterday, poured out a half bottle of wine, decided to see how many days or weeks were left in the year, then figured out that if I started right away that 14 weeks and 3 days would be just enough time to get in 3 workouts per week totaling 43 workouts one for each year of my life thereby forcing me to consider a cosmic quota that if fulfilled will grant me the sweet commission of life?? No. It's not coincidence. It's fate.

Here I go.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Phoenix!

wow! I think this is great! Good for you in taking this first step in your recovery. You'll find great support at SR.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whatever it takes Phoenix! I get it and totally believe in "signs" or fate, whatever you want to call it.

Welcome and keep posting about your journey. I'd love to hear...
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

Good on ya! If it works for you don’t fix it. Personally just reading your post wore me out because simple is so often good. Simple for me today is just don’t drink even if our ars falls off.
When I became earnest about not drinking the old timers would remind us “KEEP IT SIMPLE and EASY DOES IT BUT DO IT.” Today I call it simple things for complicated people which after a lot of years can screw up boiling water if my head is not where my feet are.

For many putting the drink down was the beginning as work and change guide us into recovery.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you! It is serendipitous of course but it is going to work this time. Send us a report of each workout. Be sure to include the parts where it hurts too!��
Old 09-23-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix and welcome
So work out it is...43 of em. That's great. Exercise and being active in general will aid any recovery program IMO. But I was confused....are you quitting drinking too? Quitting drinking helps any workout program Yin/Yang. Good luck. Carpe Diem.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Phoenix and welcome
So work out it is...43 of em. That's great. Exercise and being active in general will aid any recovery program IMO. But I was confused....are you quitting drinking too? Quitting drinking helps any workout program Yin/Yang. Good luck. Carpe Diem.
Hey there,
Yes, I'm quitting drinking and I totally agree with you that in addition to quitting something, in this case drinking, starting something new, in this case exercising, can definitely help. For me working out in the AM is motivation for me to not drink later that night for fear of negating the benefits and effort I put forth. The 43 workouts aspect is just a fun, quirky, yet motivating way to make this a longer term proposition rather than the generic 'workout 3x per week' or lose 20 pounds, which by the way are still goals that I have, just bracketed by the larger picture. Thanks for taking the time to read and share!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Phoenix
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Phoenix!!