Notices

New to this

Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hi everyone I'm new to this!! I'm 25 and really need to talk to people about my problem. I also suffer with anxiety. I'm not sure wether I drink to help my anxiety or my drinking is causing it . My dad has been sober since 2009 but had a drink problem for over 10 years and my mom has a drink every night, so iv been brought up around alcohol. Would just love to talk to people like me x
Old 09-23-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot of people here to talk to, Aprilbelle
Welcome

D
Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Aprilbelle you've come to the right place nice to meet you
Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

If alcohol is a problem in your life it’s advisable to totally stop using it. The earlier the better because with time it becomes more difficult and much internal and external can easily result from continued use. That was my experience because I procrastinated and lied to myself about my drinking.

BE WELL
Old 09-23-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. My anxiety got a lot better after I got sober for good.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Aprilbelle View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this!! I'm 25 and really need to talk to people about my problem. I also suffer with anxiety. I'm not sure wether I drink to help my anxiety or my drinking is causing it . My dad has been sober since 2009 but had a drink problem for over 10 years and my mom has a drink every night, so iv been brought up around alcohol. Would just love to talk to people like me x
Hi April, many people self-medicate mental conditions with alcohol, but it's a vicious circle because the alcohol makes it worse. It's not just about mental health either because it's bad for your physical health.

I suggest you talk to your doctor about dealing with anxiety once you've stopped drinking.

I have a young relative who suffered from severe anxiety and with a combination of counselling, medication, exercise and support from families and friends he has made an amazing recovery, although he always has to be careful.

Your dad sounds ideal as someone to support you as he knows all about recovery. He may have become sober for the same reason as you.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Aprilbelle!!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR April. This community has a ton of support and wisdom to offer. Don't be shy about posting questions if you want some input. It has helped a lot of us who are struggling with addiction.

By the way, I always thought drinking lessened my anxiety. How wrong I was... after some sober time, I realize my anxiety was caused by my excessive drinking. Life is so much simpler without alcohol.

Welcome aboard!