Notices

Getting

Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting

Hello all,

I have been off alcohol for nearly five years now and am starting to doubt my long term sobriety. It has been a whirlwind summer with my life as I have a chronic disease that flared up knocking me down in July and August . This disease has been a real drain on me mentally and physically both past and present, it has had an affect on my life for as long as I can remember. This combined with some other personal issues I believe is the root of at least a lot of my frustrations.

When I was drinking I was always aware of the time the liquor stores closed as I was an evening drinker and always hit the beer store on my ride home, careful to make it by 11 pm as the liquor stores close.
For the first time in nearly five years I glanced at the clock in my car with all intentions (completely out of the blue) of going to the Liquor store but it was 11:10 PM, it appears some sort of angel was looking out for me that night.

This was three weeks ago and I haven't had a drink and don't want one right now but I am worried, very worried .

Also, This website was indispensable in keeping me sober through the last Five years, it's nice to see some familiar names that have maintained sobriety or are at least willing to come here and fight for it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott
Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome C# - congrats on 5 years

yeah long term or chronic pain or illness can be a real challenge.

The truth is tho alcohol was never that effective a panacea for me - its effects, if they worked at all, were very short term, and the other crap it brought with it in its wake nearly ended up killing me.

Whatever the answers are to your chronic condition C# alcohols not one of them.

Why not involve yourself a little more here? This community has helped me through some tough health times.

D
Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to the posting side of SR Scott. SR would be a great place to hang out and find some more support. It's not uncommon at all to have doubts, even several year sober. Just make sure you get help when things get rough.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

5 years is awesome!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

5 years is great, don't slip back into the abyss. Hang tough!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Csharp!

When I started on the forum -- wow, almost 3 years ago -- they said, post a lot. So I do. I recommend it!

I don't know what other kind of support you get for your sobriety, but when I feel my commitment is shaky, I call up all the tools I learned in my first 6 months of sobriety -- including ice cream -- and I try to add new ones if what I have isn't enough.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!! I am not doing much for long term recovery I think. I quit on my own, not wise but I did it by myself. I am an independent person and feel like I would have failed In AA, but I am rethinking that right now. Ohhhh, and it should have said "Getting Worried" in the subject.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Please read around about AA and give it a try. It has worked for many to overcome the lifelong dilemma of alcoholism.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Csharp View Post
I am an independent person
AA rooms are pretty much filled with that kind of person. We're all independent, stubborn and unique. & we're all in it together.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome C# - congrats on 5 years yeah long term or chronic pain or illness can be a real challenge.

Whatever the answers are to your chronic condition C# alcohols not one of them.

Why not involve yourself a little more here? This community has helped me through some tough health times. D

Thanks Dee. 😀

I will be on here as often as I can. I have always appreciated your insight. Scott
Old 09-23-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Csharp!!