Notices

Did AA work for you?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rjh

Did AA work for you?

Going to AA meeting tonight, and trying to get a sponsor.
Just Curious how many people have tried AA with a sponsor, did you have success, or relapse?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife and I had success three years ago and have not relapsed.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Going to AA meeting tonight, and trying to get a sponsor.
Just Curious how many people have tried AA with a sponsor, did you have success, or relapse?
If you have surrendered and can truly grasp the first step, it will work for you. The problem is a lot of people go to get wives back, stuff back, get court of back, employers off back and the list goes on and on. The success rate there ain't too good if doing for some other reason other than just being sick and tired of being sick and tired and willing to do whatever to stay sober.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Working so far.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think any program will work for you if you are motivated.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When I finally decided to quit drinking, the first thing I did was go to AA. I went to a few meetings at several different locations, but found tools other than AA that suited me better.
I recommend AA because it helps solidify your choice of sobriety. Seeing a medical doctor is a good idea too. Learn about mindfulness and what acceptance can mean to you. Look into as many tools as you can find, and use what you need to get sober and live that life you deserve to live.

You CAN do it.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

........it works if ya work it!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes.... And it continues to work....

But for me it works as part of a balanced set of tools, changes, decisions, values, supports that all contribute to my sobriety.

AA alone wouldn't have 'worked' for me.

But AA alongside counseling and exercise and meditation and active gratitude practice and volunteering at the detox and changes of habit and shifts in priority and changes in where I go and with whom I spend my time...... Has proven a very valuable support
Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
It worked for me when I got honest with myself about my drinking and accepted the fact I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row. Even if I didn’t want to for awhile in the beginning.

The program has tools for us to use and remain sober if we use them. Unfortunately the alcoholics mind does not seem to remember the pain we suffered getting here the first time and when things start to go well we start thinking about drinking and feed our self BS, so many relapse. After relapsing most find it very difficult to sober up again. Over the years I’ve seen too many buried because of relapses.

BE WELL
Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It isn't a magic pill that you can take and make it all better. Being physically present at meetings or having a sponsor will not do it. YOU have to listen, learn, and be willing to change YOU. A sponsor and meetings help you do those things if you're willing.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a sponsor for a few months but then moved. What was important to me was to attend 3-5 meetings per week and always share, even if it was only, "Hi, I'm xxxx and I'm an alcoholic". Feeling part of the group was critical.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Got out of rehab February 2010, found a homegroup, got a sponsor, & worked the steps. It has worked so far, one day at a time.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Works for me!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Has worked for me so far, 1 year, no relapse. For me, active participation was the key - working steps with sponsor, regular meetings, helping others.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It worked for me when I did the steps with an honest and open heart. Attending meetings here and there didn't do it. Starting the steps but being afraid to really dive in and be honest didn't work. But the fourth go at sobriety with steps and a willingness to bare my soul to get it back worked great! Still sober.

If you are honest, open, willing to challenge and change your alcoholic thinking; willing to leave no stone unturned, you will be successful.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is a fine thread and the number of positive responses is very encouraging. But what do we say to those who may have trouble with some aspects of traditional AA: the so called "God Stuff", the role of "Character Defects" (i.e. does that mean that we drink because we are "bad" or is it the other way around, i.e. that drinking causes character defects in some people (e.g. lying, even stealing, and very often overreacting to stress). May I suggest that if a particular group seems to stress these aspects it may be helpful to go to meetings at several places and frequent the one or ones where you feel most comfortable. Then try to develop, "grow into" AA, develop a broader understanding of the program and its teachings and, above all. give it a good, solid try. No program is perfect. AA has worked for many.. It may well work for you!

W
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It has worked 2200+ days for me and as importantly taught me how to live the life I always dreamed of
Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It worked for me for until I stopped going after 20 years. I stayed dry another 10 years until sobriety was no longer a priority for me and I relapsed.
Now it's been working again for me for nearly 3 months now.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Of course it works, and of course people relapse. Relapse is when you don't give a **** and start drinking again. Pretty much the same reasons why people don't stop drinking when they know they need to.

That said, I'll never go to an AA meeting myself, but anything that motivates/inspires you to stop drinking will do the trick and for many that is AA.