Notices

Hello

Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello all,

My name is Rob and I'm an alcoholic. I never thought I would say the same words my dad did many years ago. Today will be my first day on the road to recovery. I'm 41 years old and a retired Air Force veteran. I never thought alcohol would control my life but I was terribly wrong. I am so fortunate that I still have my family despite all of this, but if if I keep up this up I won't. Its been extremely hard to imagine my life without alcohol. For many years alcohol has been involved with almost everything I do. Its hard to imagine life will be enjoyable without alcohol. I have stopped for short periods in the past but evil alcohol has always drawn me back in. But now I have had enough and I am determined to change my life and kick evil alcohol to the curb. Thanks for everyones support.

Rob
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great decision, glad to have you here! Welcome, you will find a lot of support here.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome scream frog.

I guess alcohol was fun for me at some point. Actually I know it was. But that's been a long time....now it's just a mirage. It's a lie my addiction tries to sell me....alcohol is nothing but anger, sadness, pain and disease. Life is normal without alcohol. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it just is. But that's ok.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us screamfrog
do you have a recovery plan?

D
Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rob
Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Rob.

Thank you for your service. These forums are a good starting point to begin a life in recovery, I needed to choose a different path since the internet wasn’t even a word back then.

Members of the fellowship are also here offering valuable help and experiences if we can take advantage of it.

Part of what fouled me up in the beginning was I heard too many things I didn’t like and as a result suffered longer. I needed the word ACCEPTANCE in my life to this day.

When my pain got bad enough I became teachable and started in earnest to follow directions which included working on changes needed to recover. It has been most rewarding and certainly filled the void alcohol left.

BE WELL
Old 09-22-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Scream...welcome...

did 20 myself...the military lifestyle except drinking...it didn't educate me on the real long term issues....e.g. brain damage causing hyper anxiety etc..blah blah..

This site and the internet kept me from believing I was losing my mind...I am better in all ways...every day...

Drug and alc. Free. Lost 25 pounds, working out. Sleeping well. So nice.

Stop drinking forever today...alcohol is a govt sanctioned poisen.

I did this...It flipped a switch...

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous

Posted w permission AAWS Inc.

Bills Story, pg. 13, Para. 2.

Stop the insanity.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best of luck. You can do this, but make sure you follow through with something more than just drinking. Programs like AA have steps designed to treat the alcoholism that makes you want to drink. If you don't treat the alcoholism, the drink will be on your mind and you will be depriving yourself of the peace and happiness that comes from being clean AND treating the underlying condition that makes you drink.

Alcohol is the solution for alcoholism. The problem is that alcohol eventually kills us alcoholics and destroys everything we care about. We have to find a sufficient substitute for alcohol in treatment if out alcoholism.

This stuff works remarkably well for those that have truly had enough and have surrendered. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, screamfrog. I'm also 41 years old. I'm on day 138 of continuous sobriety now. This is a better way of life. Hope you'll become an active participant here. Asking for help and also helping others have been two cornerstones of my recovery so far.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Congratulations on taking this courageous step....

And welcome also to a life far better, deeper, richer and more joyous that you have previously imagined.

It won't be easy at first...... but it will be well worth it.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Rob!

It's pretty common to have a very hard time imagining life without alcohol, but, as you look around here, you will find that many of us manage very well.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Rob! What a great 1st step you are taking. There are much better days ahead!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I can tell you with certainty that there is a wonderful life out there without alcohol but we must be willing to rebuild a new life not live the old
Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rob!!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dyl71

Welcome, Rob!