Notices

Is it the job or is it alcoholism?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it the job or is it alcoholism?

Needing input especially from folks who have been sober a few years. Basically I'm trying to decide if changing jobs will help me find peace and happiness again. I KNOW I have a drinking problem. ....that's not even up for debate! 😉 The question is whether my cognitive problems, memory problems, stress, and extreme dislike of my job are actually signs to look for a better fitting job or signs that my brain is damaged. I'll say this: I was sober 1.5 years and still felt similar problems at work. I'm wondering how long the memory issues, brain fog, and anxiety lasted for you, specifically? ?? (I've read A LOT about cognitive impairment on the forums and elsewhere. ....but hope to hear from you guys personally. ) thank you in advance!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd love to tho know this too. My ex was always calling me ditzy and forgetful. My memory is horrendous and I never ever put it down to the alcohol I'd consumed every night for the last god knows how many years!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems to me that if you were sober for 1.5 years and during that time found your job to be full of problems, maybe it's time to rethink things. But, it sounds like you're drinking now, so I think stopping drinking and then re-evaluate the job situation, after a period of sobriety.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It seems to me that if you were sober for 1.5 years and during that time found your job to be full of problems, maybe it's time to rethink things. But, it sounds like you're drinking now, so I think stopping drinking and then re-evaluate the job situation, after a period of sobriety.
I say ditto for re-evaluating you job when sober again. It certainly is possible that you are stuck in job you hate or is too stressful and you drink to cope with it. Best of luck...
Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 2 of sobriety.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Secret, I can totally relate!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Secretdrinker View Post
I'd love to tho know this too. My ex was always calling me ditzy and forgetful. My memory is horrendous and I never ever put it down to the alcohol I'd consumed every night for the last god knows how many years!
Sure it could the alcohol. Absolutely.But it could also just be part of getting older (don't know how "young" you are). Could be a combination. I am in my early 50's. I remember starting to become a little forgetful in my forties and I wasn't even drinking then.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober for several months then rethink your job situation. Maybe changing jobs is in order, but don't decide til you've been sober for a while.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
Needing input especially from folks who have been sober a few years. Basically I'm trying to decide if changing jobs will help me find peace and happiness again. I KNOW I have a drinking problem. ....that's not even up for debate! 😉 The question is whether my cognitive problems, memory problems, stress, and extreme dislike of my job are actually signs to look for a better fitting job or signs that my brain is damaged. I'll say this: I was sober 1.5 years and still felt similar problems at work. I'm wondering how long the memory issues, brain fog, and anxiety lasted for you, specifically? ?? (I've read A LOT about cognitive impairment on the forums and elsewhere. ....but hope to hear from you guys personally. ) thank you in advance!!!
Thanks for sharing.

You mention stress...and while your job may not be very good right now...changing jobs is ALSO stressful. What are your options? And 'extreme dislike' is likely a red flag. I would probably ask myself: Is changing jobs stressful or is staying in your current job MORE stressful. Part of my own recovery is to learning how to manage stress better and not turn to alcohol to cope.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

More than likely, it's alcoholism. Sober up and re-evaluate in a few months (and/or after you've done the steps, if you do the AA way).
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

You mention stress...and while your job may not be very good right now...changing jobs is ALSO stressful. What are your options? And 'extreme dislike' is likely a red flag. I would probably ask myself: Is changing jobs stressful or is staying in your current job MORE stressful. Part of my own recovery is to learning how to manage stress better and not turn to alcohol to cope.
I LOVE what you said: ask yourself is staying in your current job or starting a new job more stressful? Excellent point about beginning a job is stressful too. I need to keep that in mind. My gut response is staying in current job is far more stressful. But I agree with "least" response above to stay sober a few months then decide.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My age

Tea Tree I'm in my mid 30s
Old 09-21-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
Tea Tree I'm in my mid 30s
and I'm younger than her...
Old 09-21-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get what your saying. Looking at the bigger picture. Long term sobriety and happiness. I've often thought of a job/career change as well. Seemed as though the two would go hand in hand. But I wouldn't make drastic changes like that without some serious sober time.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
I get what your saying. Looking at the bigger picture. Long term sobriety and happiness. I've often thought of a job/career change as well. Seemed as though the two would go hand in hand. But I wouldn't make drastic changes like that without some serious sober time.
Excellent point Arbor. Thank you
Old 09-21-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Secretdrinker View Post
and I'm younger than her...
Secret you crack me up!!! Are u willing to share your age?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't know about your situation, but in my own experience I got to the point I hated my job and blamed it for a lot of my misery.

After getting sober, my job didn't change a lot - but my attitude about it did.... once I did the work to shift my attitude in general.

Nowadays, I still don't think my job is the greatest thing ever - but I love my life and the way my job fits into and supports my life is actually pretty positive. I don't blame my job for things anymore, and I have a far better attitude about my job and about all the other external commitments of my life.

For me.... a lot of my misery was the product of being addicted to booze.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I don't know about your situation, but in my own experience I got to the point I hated my job and blamed it for a lot of my misery.

After getting sober, my job didn't change a lot - but my attitude about it did.... once I did the work to shift my attitude in general.

Nowadays, I still don't think my job is the greatest thing ever - but I love my life and the way my job fits into and supports my life is actually pretty positive. I don't blame my job for things anymore, and I have a far better attitude about my job and about all the other external commitments of my life.

For me.... a lot of my misery was the product of being addicted to booze.
FreeOwl (your name is cool btw), your reply really helped me. I can't explain why exactly. But I needed it.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There's that silly saying, "no matter where you go, there you are." If you change jobs, you will still have your alcoholism. I agree with the others, get some sober time then re-evaluate job.

After 2 1/2 years I'm still the same forgetful silly person I was. But I'm much happier and healthier.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
There's that silly saying, "no matter where you go, there you are." If you change jobs, you will still have your alcoholism. I agree with the others, get some sober time then re-evaluate job.

After 2 1/2 years I'm still the same forgetful silly person I was. But I'm much happier and healthier.
Love this. Especially the last line. Thank you 😊