Notices

Ok.... im ready

Old 09-21-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok.... im ready

Hi everyone. I'm not more sick of being stuck in this miserable cycle than I ever have been! I saw the blog section... think im going to do one if I can. Everything does look dull and boring without alcohol but it's dull boring depressing and self loathing where I am right now! Any advice tips would be muchly appreciated xxx especially for when that selfish me creeps in my head telling me just one more night of drinking is needed!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enoughsenough View Post
Hi everyone. I'm not more sick of being stuck in this miserable cycle than I ever have been! I saw the blog section... think im going to do one if I can. Everything does look dull and boring without alcohol but it's dull boring depressing and self loathing where I am right now! Any advice tips would be muchly appreciated xxx especially for when that selfish me creeps in my head telling me just one more night of drinking is needed!
I promise you, everything is NOT more dull and boring without alcohol.

It's actually a million times more vibrant, leagues and leagues deeper, endlessly more colorful and far more joyous than your booze-soaked mind can conceive of.

Yes, it takes time and effort to get there.... but stick with it and hold a vision of that sober life - and sooner than you can imagine, you'll be astounded.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Enough, you've got to always remember the feeling you are having that is motivating you to stop drinking. I used to keep a list of everything that I hated about myself when I was drinking and what drinking did to me.

Any time I forgot how miserable drinking was I would read from my list. Ultimately, you have to trust in yourself enough to override your AV's attempt to get you to drink by realizing what tomorrow will bring if you pick up a drink today.

Each time I am pressed to drink by my AV, I always play it forward and think of what tomorrow morning will be like.

Trust me, life is so much more rewarding without alcohol. Once I realized how much fun I could have when I got rid of all of the anxiety that comes with drinking life got so much better.

You can do this.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there and welcome!
This is a journey friend. Not all days are easy (I just had a couple of down days myself) but it's worth it! Alcohol is a liar and wants us to think everything is better with it. It only makes things worse though.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You titled your post, I'm ready.

Are you ready to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober? Or is your list of things you "won't do" longer than things you will...like see your doctor, tell people you are done drinking, go to an AA meeting, etc.

If you have anything on the "won't do" list, you might want to look at what ready means to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

All advice listed so far is great. I also made a list when I was going through my rough binge drinking days of all the bad things I was going through. I can now pull this out and refresh my mind if I am feeling weak.

Good luck and staying on here helps a lot.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here!

I simply became sick and tired of being sick and tired. The lights turned on and the floor was being swept. The party was over.

I will say at 15 months it's without a doubt the best decision I've ever come to - I was ready as well.......

keep coming back
Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm on day 137. This does get easier with time and work on our parts, though I still have the occasional rough day. When I have those rough days, the first thing I do is ask for help.

Most important advice I can give is don't take that first drink today no matter what. Don't take a drink if you're happy. Don't take a drink if you're sad. Don't take a drink if you're angry. Don't take a drink if you're bored. Don't take a drink if you're celebrating something good. Don't take a drink if you're hungry. Don't take that first drink. Period. As long as you don't take that first drink, you don't have to worry about the second or third or tenth drink that will usually follow.

Get active here. These forums are open 24/7 and can literally save your life. Get involved in your community, whether it's in some local face-to-face recovery, or in a church or doing some kind of volunteer work. Get out of your own head when you can.

You can do this! If I can stop drinking, anyone can.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by enoughsenough View Post
Any advice tips would be muchly appreciated xxx especially for when that selfish me creeps in my head telling me just one more night of drinking is needed!
My advice would be to be prepared. Because that voice will come back and you'll need to be ready for it. You can be prepared by having a good sobriety plan. That could include a lot of different things: AA or another meeting based recovery method, Self help methods, Rehab, Counseling, SR and online resources, etc.

It will be difficult no matter what plan you choose. You will need to do things that you don't want to do, repeatedly. You will also need to accept that picking up even a single drink is not an option, ever.

SR is a great place to get started, and if you think starting a blog would be helpful absolutely go ahead and do so. You could also join the class of September or any of the daily/weekly threads to give yourself some more accountability on a daily basis.

The best news of all is that sobriety is 100% guaranteed if you are willing to put in the time and effort to achieve it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

have a plan. I promise you life isn't dull and boring without alcohol.

Since getting sober i realize just how dull and boring my life used to be because all i ever really did was drink or at least be drinking when doing other things. I could never truly enjoy anything or relax as just kept thinking of the next drink. I don't have those ties anymore.

Welcome to SR. Keep on posting
Old 09-21-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your mind telling you need one more night of drinking is a trick. A dirty trick. When actively drinking everything seems fun, and maybe it is. But eventually for most of us, it leads to despair. The hardest part for me was breaking the cycle. The best parts of my life have been accomplished sober.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan improves your chances tenfold
Old 09-21-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is something my husband told me:

"A failure to plan is a plan for failure." He encouraged me to apply that to use in moments of weakness.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Enoughsenough!!