Notices

Checking in on day 52

Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 52

I've been kinda quit lately. Very very busy. I'm good though. Day 52 after a relapse. I was in a funk this past weekend. I decided not to go to a big party my company had for all of us celebrating 10 years. It was a big deal and it was at one of the biggest bars in Texas. I new I didn't need to be there but the pictures were depressing. I missed out on a big celebration because of alcohol. sigh. Had a talk with my sponsor about it. I know I'm on the right path but its just frustrating sometimes. I feel like now I'm heavily watched by sponsor, husband and mom. It feels like carrying a heavy weight around sometimes if that makes sense. Life goes on and hopefully some day it will be easier. I'm 32 and it seems like all social events around my age must include alcohol everywhere you go.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

over 4 years sober here Alynn ,
I think you made the right choice for you, in my experience it gets easier.

It's great we're both sober today

keep on

m
Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Almost 3 years here.....Mex is right; it does get easier

Stay strong!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I'm 32 and it seems like all social events around my age must include alcohol everywhere you go.
I often tell newcomers that only alcoholics think alcohol and drinking is everywhere. But recently I was talking to my sister, who doesn't drink, and she said she can't believe all the posts (I'm assuming facebook) about alcohol related activities. So if she's noting it, it must be a lot.

That said, it doesn't matter what role alcohol plays in other people's lives. I matter what it plays in yours. And if you've quit, it plays no role. With five years sober I have no problems avoiding alcohol-fueled social activities. But I can also can attended if they are important, say to my wife.

So hang in there. What seems extremely tough at 52 days will get easier after a year sober.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good job on making it 2 months, I can relate to what you are saying, I am also in my 30's and sometimes I think I am missing out on all sorts of fun things. I then remember back to how horrible my relationship with alcohol was and how it was not really fun at all.

Great job and keep pressing on.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
I'm 32 and it seems like all social events around my age must include alcohol everywhere you go.
It sometimes seems that way, but have you considered:
1. Book clubs
2. Volunteering ( many, many opportunities )
3. Joining a Gym/YMCA
4. Service organizations ( optimists, elks, shriners, etc )
5. Church activites
6. Community theater/dance
7. Sobriety groups
8. Libriariey/Bookstore/Coffee shop readings/music/events
9. The community calendar in your local newspaper
10. Taking classes to learn a new language, skill or discipline?

When our lives revolve around alcohol, it does seem like it is "everywhere". But the reality is that while it's certainly prevalent, it is not everywhere. And there are many, many people who live highly successful, social lives without it - and they aren't all alcoholcs. Some choose not to drink for religious or other moral/societal reasons.

So yes, if you look for it you'll find it...but there are many, many options without it.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on navigating the past 52 days, and for everything you're doing to heal your life.

At some point in the future, you'll be able to attend this type of event and not even bat an eye. I've been to social events at bars, at peoples' houses, etc. without drinking. It will get easier. It's good that you know your limits - but you aren't losing your life. You just don't drink in it anymore.

Those few of us who can't drink safely just don't - I drink iced tea with lemonade
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing amazing Alynn
Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on putting your recovery first this past weekend. It's hard sometimes, but you're on the right path. This is a better way of life.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 53 is fantastic Alynn!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I missed a few parties too Alynn - it doesn't bother me now and it won;t bother you in time either

I remember feeling like I would never relax - the thought of not drinking was as obsessional as the drinking ones used to be.

It really does get easier tho - I started off a square peg forcing myself into a round 'non drinkers' hole...but I grew into it, and now I prefer it - I would not have it any other way

congrats on day 52 - you're doing great

D
Old 09-21-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations! It does get better. As does the feeling of always being watched.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You did the right thing Alynn with avoiding it. One of the things I am not sure if you thought about, is what would have happened if you had gone and gotten completely trashed and embarrassed yourself there?
I don't know if I would have even felt comfortable being in that environment and commend you for protecting your sobriety. You're doing great Alynn.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations Alynn - 52 days is an awesome achievement.