Notices

I'm Ready for Recovery

Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Ready for Recovery

I’m 26 and have been drinking heavily every weekend since age 13, half my life.

I’ve know the past few years it’s been a problem for a few years. I finally had the courage last Christmas to tell my mum and sister that I thought I was an alcoholic but they dismissed my claims and convinced me I wasn’t.

My uncle was an alcoholic (who really did hit rock bottom) and they seemed to think that because unlike him I could go to work every day, only drank at the weekends and could if I put my mind to it stay of it for few weeks I wasn’t one.

Since Christmas I’ve tried to drink less on less occasions but i'm fighting a losing battle

On Saturday night I went on a major bender while out with friends, I’ve managed to upset a lot of people with my actions. I spent all of Sunday apologising for things I don’t even remember doing.

I’m ashamed, but I’ve felt this way before and I always go back to drinking because I convince myself that I wasn’t really that bad, everyone makes drunken mistakes.

I’m scared of not knowing how to life without alcohol when it’s been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.

I honestly don’t know where to start but I do know I don’t want to drink again, I don’t want to be the person I become when I’m drunk, I don’t want to wake up on a Sunday and have to cancel plans I made because I couldn’t stop drinking the night before, I don’t want it to have control over my life.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome DailyDuchess
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think the label of alcoholism is important.

If you believe your life will be better without alcohol (and I can tell you it most definitely will be) then make today your Day One without it.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome Duchess. It is possible to stop drinking. It may seem like a scary proposition but I think all A's feel that way. I certainly did, but looking back on my 3+ years of sobriety I am so much healthier and glad I stuck it out.
I love the mornings without guilt and hangovers.
Why not start by doing a bit of research here and on health websites about alcoholism and the harmful effects of alcohol? Another great first step is to have a truthful talk with your doctor about how much you drink.
Have a look around SR and I'm sure you'll find many recovery stories that will inspire you. Mine is one of them!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there,
Its possible you arent an alcoholic, but it sounds like to me you at least have a problem with alcohol. Does that mean you are an alcoholic? I dont know. But if you are having thoughts that maybe your drinking is causing problems, then it might be a good idea to try and get sober for a while and see where you stand. See if you like a sober life.

For most normal people who drink some, they dont have thoughts that this could be causing a problem. Might be a good idea to see where you stand after you have some sober time under your belt.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, DailyDuchess. Sounds like your family doesn't understand alcoholism. That's understandable as most non-alcoholics can't fathom how obsessed our mind and bodies become when we take that first drink.

Remember that as long as you don't take that first drink today no matter what you don't have to worry about the second or third or tenth one.

Hope you'll become an active participant here and congrats on choosing a better way of life in recovery from your addiction.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you. Wish I had that kind of realization at your age.

Lots of helpful information here. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome duchess!

Good on ya for wanting to change your life at such a young age. It's awesome that so many young folks are here. I wish I had realized what I know now. Alcoholism is progressive. In other words if left untreated it will get worse. Period. So you think it's bad now? Give it a decade.
The good news is you never have to feel this way again. And if you don't drink during the week you probably won't detox.....and believe me, that is no fun. The first time I quit over 10 years ago I didn't detox either. Believe me I do now. And I noticed that once I acknowledged my problem I could never drink with impunity again. I knew I was hurting myself so all I felt was guilt and shame.
You can do this!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome DD, you are wise beyond your years. Read enough posts on this site and you will see what awaits you if you continue. I'll give you a hint, its not pretty. With some discipline and effort you can accomplish your goals. Wish you the best.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Daily Duchess

D
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome DailyDuchess.

I was a heavy drinker for most of my drinking career. Thought I might be an alcoholic when I was 20 (my father had sobered up a couple years prior). My last night of drinking convinced me...I'd not meant to get wasted, as I had to work the next day, but once I started drinking, I couldn't stop. And I blacked out and lost about 6 or so hours. Came to the next day and realised that I'm powerless over alcohol. Went to an AA meeting the next day and haven't had a drink since (I worked the steps...didn't just rely on meetings). That was 18 years ago.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya DailyDuchess, welcome to our forum.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DailyDuchess!!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Yep my mum doesn't believe I'm an alcoholic either - I've lived 200 miles away from her for years so she's never seen it.

I love her, but I don't care what she thinks. Alcohol was destroying me.

Stick around, SR is the best place to be if you need to quit