Addicts are smarter than they seem

Old 09-20-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicts are smarter than they seem

So after coming home and making all the promises that we all hope to hear, my ABF relapsed last night after 2 1/2 weeks of an attempt at sobriety. He left our bed in the middle of the night, took money from my purse (that I did not know was in there as I never keep cash anymore) and used. Then came home, woke me up and told me. The part that is so madding is that no boundary was broken. He did not lie, he did not run to his parents house, he did not pawn anything or use his driver license to get a pay day loan. He even went to an NA meeting this morning (attending meetings is a boundary).

So I cannot even get mad, I guess I need to make a new boundary, you cannot get high and come back to the house.

Maybe addicts are too smart or I am too stupid (I guess 7 years of college/graduate school was not enough)
Owl
Old 09-20-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Addicts are clever. I wouldn't call them smart, because if they were smart, they wouldn't be addicts.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. (((HUGS)))
Old 09-20-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would be upset about him stealing money from you. That's a boundary. I'm so sorry for your anguish. Take care of yourself...hugs to you.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

about boundaries....you are not obligated to announce them. Only if you want to.
Boundaries are not "rules" for someone else to follow. They are boundaries to protect you. They are like limits for what you will n ot ever allow or tolerate---for yourself.

dandylion
Old 09-21-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Owl,

Yes, addicts are positively brilliant when they are motivated! Your's sounds like a hair-splitting lawyer.

"... took money from my purse ..... used.... came home....and told me.... went to an NA meeting this morning...."

Obviously the taking money part is a no-no, but I am curious about the "telling" part of your story. Was this a confessional type telling or a nanny-nanny-boo- boo, in-your-face type of telling?

If confessional, it could be a positive sign for him - sort of like - "I used again and I am ashamed of myself for it. I am really disappointed in me, I was doing so well for a while." And off he has gone to a NA meeting to spill his guts there.

Realize this is pure conjecture on my part, just perhaps a different perspective. It would all depend on the nature of the "telling".

One day at a time,
Jim
Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is it the kind of high that you can tell?

I don't know, stealing, leaving in the middle of the night secretly and using would be deal breakers for me.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What do YOU want this to mean?

It doesn't matter what HE thinks it means, or if he managed to squeak through all the loopholes; what matters is if you trust him, believe that he is in recovery with one lapse, whatever your gut reactions are.

YOU are what counts here. This is your life, and you get to react however you need to, regardless of anything else.

ShootingStar1
Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Owl1370 View Post
The part that is so madding is that no boundary was broken. He did not lie, he did not run to his parents house, he did not pawn anything or use his driver license to get a pay day loan. He even went to an NA meeting this morning (attending meetings is a boundary).

So I cannot even get mad, I guess I need to make a new boundary, you cannot get high and come back to the house.

Maybe addicts are too smart or I am too stupid (I guess 7 years of college/graduate school was not enough)
Owl
It doesn’t matter that you didn’t know the money was even in your purse or that he admitted taking it to you…………HE STOLE MONEY FROM YOU – is that in any way acceptable to you?

Boundaries are not rules for him to have to follow they are self-respecting, self -worth NOT accepting un-acceptable behaviors because you value yourself enough.

He disrespected you as a person by stealing from you……….then he manipulates the consequences (like most addicts do) by admitting it. Then he takes himself (high as a kite) to a NA meeting (if he even really went all to avoid any ill consequences of his actions and I’m sure since he got away with it this time he can get away with it next time.

How about your boundary is - no addicts are allowed in my home at all period, until they have been clean for a long time.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
The part that is so madding is that no boundary was broken.
False. He took money from your purse, and did so without your permission. The only question you have to answer is what you're going to do about it.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stole money, got high, woke you up. But "no boundary was broken." What exactly are your boundaries?
Him attending NA meetings isn't a boundary. It's a rule for him to follow, which also apparently functions as a Get out of Jail Free card. "Hey honey, I stole your money to get high and woke you up to to tell you, but that's OK because I'm going to appease you with an NA meeting."
A boundary is "I won't live in a home with a thief or an active addict."
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All of these comments are so thought provoking. I want to take his "confession" as a call for help as my ABF uses alone and lies and covers up. Taking money out of my purse is a low point for him. However, he also has given all his money over to me because money is a serious trigger for him. It was a small amount of money ---$20.00 and not even enough to get high on. I probably would not have known if he had not have told me.

I know there is no correct answer. I have been attending Nar Anon meetings both on line and in person and have been going to therapy. I am trying to learn not to enable and to set boundaries. I am wondering if I should just let this go and see what he does with in. ABF is in IOP program that does urine testing. He plans to go tonight and says he will be honest. I want to see if this is a learning experience or is just another broken promise of sobriety before I decided what it means.

Its just so hard seeing someone you love become someone you hate. Thanks for letting me share though. Its so nice to hear all of the view points and thoughts and to know you are not alone .
Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

He left our bed in the middle of the night, took money from my purse...
...He did not lie, he did not run to his parents house, he did not pawn anything or use his driver license to get a pay day loan. He even went to an NA meeting this morning (attending meetings is a boundary).
Owl
Is "no stealing" not a boundary...? I'm confused. You specified "he did not pawn anything..." But he stole money from you?...
Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
Stole money, got high, woke you up. But "no boundary was broken." What exactly are your boundaries?
Him attending NA meetings isn't a boundary. It's a rule for him to follow, which also apparently functions as a Get out of Jail Free card. "Hey honey, I stole your money to get high and woke you up to to tell you, but that's OK because I'm going to appease you with an NA meeting."
A boundary is "I won't live in a home with a thief or an active addict."
Amen.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Totally agree with everyone else. He knew he did something wrong, or he wouldn't have confessed to you. He knows what he did, even if he plays dumb or tries to put it back on you. The thing with addicts is that it's always YOUR fault, not theirs. They can't accept responsibility. It's YOUR fault that YOU didn't set the boundaries, not the other way around. Listen to his actions, not his words.

The main focus of everything here is this -- how does all of this make you feel, and what are you going to do about it? If you're pissed off, angry, hurt, and upset -- which are all valid things that you are well within your right to feel -- then you have every right to feel those things. You aren't obligated for one second to make concessions to him just because you didn't specifically stipulate every single thing you needed from him.

Your boundary was that he not use drugs. He broke that. He broke that and he's trying to make it your fault, but it isn't.

If you want this to be a dealbreaker that drives you back out of the house, that's OK. You can bolt, never look back, and have a clean conscience about it, because next time he might not even bother to confess it to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What he did was hurtful, you have a right to have feelings about this, just saying. And taking property of others is absolutely wrong, no matter what.

Addicts are manipulative, I would not necessarily say smart.

Many hugs to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I know there is no correct answer.
This is false, too.

In the summer of 2014, someone broke into my car, stole my sunglasses and stole my golf clubs. This is fundamentally no different than him going into your purse and stealing your money. Both are violations. Both are considered unacceptable behavior in a civilized society. Where my situation and yours differ is you know and love the person who stole from you. But just because you love someone does not mean that person has carte blanche to do whatever. Stealing is an inexcusable violation of the intimate trust you have put in him.

There is right, and there is wrong. What he did was wrong, period.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know there is no correct answer. I have been attending Nar Anon meetings both on line and in person and have been going to therapy. I am trying to learn not to enable and to set boundaries.
Good for you.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zoso - You are right, I would totally be pissed if I did not know the person who stole. So my heart and my head are at war. ABF went to his IOP tonight. He had a good session and told everyone what he did.

I fear that its crap and I fear that I make the same mistake again. I also love this person. Love is not always rational or smart. If my friend told me this story, I would tell them to run. I would tell them they can do better. But my heart is not ready to leave and I still have hope. Not sure what to do with my silly heart.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HE STOLE FROM YOU. Isn't trust a boundary you'd like share.

Listen, I can go rob a bank and then confess to the police...doesn't mean I am not going to get convicted of the crime and serve time. Maybe you need new boundaries drawn up?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Owl
The heck you can't!!! This is a boundary that shouldn't have to be spoken: I won't allow you to steal my money out of my purse and go get high. That is not something you should ever have to say to anyone.

Sounds to me like he did it with the intent to ask for forgiveness later, possibly knowing full well you would. He really does know how to think outside the box!

If I were you, I'd be REAL mad! LOL!