Notices

PAWS or just one of those days?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS or just one of those days?

I'm very happy to say that for about three months the idea of having a drink hasn't even occurred to me. Overall I feel like a switch has been flipped and everything seems on track.

But today I found myself in just a strangely bad mood-- a little melancholic, self-conscious, irritable.... And at one point, for the first time in months, I thought... Gee a drink would take the edge off.

And then I thought, AHA! PAWS! (Post acute withdrawal symptoms for those who are new to the lingo) But, then I wondered... How do you know if it's PAWS or just a lousy day? Everyone has a lousy day from time to time, right?

Anyways, I don't think there's any answer to the question, but I hope the rest of you are having a lovely PAWS-free day. (And by the way, I just had a nice dinner and that took away any urge to drink-- just as it did earlier in sobriety.)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for reminding us to be aware . It looks like you have good grounding .
Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Good that you recognized that it's just a bad day or PAWS, either way, it passes.

I had a day like that today too. I had to get off Facebook this morning because all the posts were irritating me and I felt like arguing with everyone. Not sure what caused it either, but I'm almost a week away from 3 months.

Later in the day I caught myself trying to pick a fight with my husband over something stupid, but he wouldn't bite. In frustration I thought about saying to hell with it all, but the thought of my AA group and the people I'm getting to know there changed my mind pretty quick. Now this evening, I'm feeling better.

No one is immune from a lousy day and I'm grateful that it's not lousy weeks or months like it used to be.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are definitely allowed to have 'blah' and irritable and bad mood days. The temptation to drink can be very strong on those types of days. Sure, it might take the edge off.... but that is only a temporary, fleeting thing and if you are at all like me, it usually doesn't stop with one drink. Hang in there and check in as often as you need to. Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It is your clean brain dealing w life. I had booze in my system for about the last 15 years....I am relearning how to live...how to do everything clean....

Joe Walsh, the Eagles, said that way.before me....

It is maddening and many don't make it out of the woods....

Work the steps...that is me talking to me....
Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess if it lasts a few days it might be PAWS, but there's no real way I ever knew of to definitely say one way or the other N3p3nth3.

Hope the rest of your weekend is better

D
Old 09-19-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get you. I go from angry, indifferent, to happy depending on the hour of the day. Our brains are adjusting.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going through it too. It helps to be reminded of what's really going on. I tend to get wrapped up in whatever moment and I need to remember that it's normal.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 3 months
Old 09-20-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I work nightshifts on a 4 on 4 off roster and not new to mood swings . It mostly depends on what my sleep was like and most often it's not great . I f I feel crappy I try to get busy quickly and not dwell on it .
D122Y thank you for reminding us how we are now dealing with life with a clean mind , you put this wonderfully .
Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
It is your clean brain dealing w life. I had booze in my system for about the last 15 years....I am relearning how to live...how to do everything clean....

Joe Walsh, the Eagles, said that way.before me....

It is maddening and many don't make it out of the woods....

Work the steps...that is me talking to me....
D122y, This is a very important point that really spoke to me today. The idea that after 16 years of dealing with life in an alcohol haze, then suddenly working it with a clean mind, that really describes where I am today on Day 14. How do I do everything clean???? Thanks,
Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thanks to those that feel my offering was helpful...

They say helping others is part of the recovery process...I can't quote the AA BB...but it is in there.

This site is saving me...

The only problem so far is...my thumbs are sore from tablet typing.