Notices

Quiting 2 things at once?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quiting 2 things at once?

I'm currently on day 3 of sobriety. I was debating on quitting smoking cigarettes as well. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Seemed like a good idea but then I thought it might be too much stress on my body to be withdrawing from 2 things at once or jeopardize my sobriety from alcohol.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
It might be logical and some people try it. I personally would not try it as so many emotions might be encountered withdrawing from alcohol. For me and many being sober was a lot to deal with.
BE WELL
Old 09-18-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would try but if it does bring stress & cravings just try focusing on the day 3

Massive congrats on day 3 btw
Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Definitely would recommend quitting one at a time. Both are very addictive and both can cause a lot of stress on you physically, mentally and emotionally. Recommend quitting drinking then tackle the smoking when you are strong in your sobriety. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with John .

Ever thought about the e-cigs ? Ive been on them for 4 years .
Old 09-19-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suggest keeping the cigs for a while, it worked for me... after 2 and 1/2 weeks sober I felt strong enough to nix the cigs, I was motivated and it seemed easier.... you can do this AND it's sooo worth it....
Old 09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am the kind of person who tends to be methodical, so I tend to do things one at a time. Withdrawing from one substance at a time is hard enough for me!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am alcoholic too, and the thought of giving up cigarettes when I first got sober was terrifying. I could not even think about trying to quit for a couple years. I just recently entertained the idea and starting vaping. Now I vape more then I ever smoked! Quitting smoking is so difficult for me that I never would have been able to quit both drinking and smoking at once. The important thing is to know your limits and know yourself well enough to recognize those limits. I say, if you can quit then that's awesome but do not jeopardize your sobriety in the process. If you have a bad day and you think you need a release, DO NOT feel bad about reaching for that smoke, it will be better then grabbing that bottle.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used Chantix to quit smoking. It worked well. So i quit both roughly in tbe same month of each other. I was much more addicted to smoking vs. drinking however. Quiting both concurrently was difficult because they were my go to. However, it had to be done. I was sick of the drink cigarette routine.
My anxiety has gone done alot. I like not getting anxious about needing to go outside every hour to smoke. Breathing is far improved. Its not easy but its far worth it. I wish you well.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My personal experience is that it is difficult. Around 8 years ago I tried quitting both. After two weeks the struggle was too much. I broke down on the drinking, but I haven't had a single cigarette since then.

My advice is try one method, if it doesn't work try the other method.

Good luck!

KP