no
85.42%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Joke threads

Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joke threads

I could live without the 'I'm sorry guys I relapsed on...ice cream/donuts/Twilight' threads.

I know...some of you *love* them and think it's good to have humour, and not be too serious.

I can't argue with that....

but, for me, there's that awful *awful* moment before you click the thread to read it when you think another of your friends have fallen or is about to.

Got to be honest - the relief I get when I see it's a joke, isn't quite enough to stop me feel a little POed....

I don't know where I sit in relation to others with this so - let's get a show of hands going...yay or nay.

Dee
SR

PS this is not directed at any one person in particular.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, I agree with you one hundred per cent.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I say ban them from the Newcomer's section!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just find those threads annoying and don't see the point...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't think they're funny, but they don't bother me. Probably because I already know some people like to joke that way, so I don't think too much about subject lines before I read a post. Still, I do think that they may upset people who are already feeling down just for a laugh. It's not worth it.

Delfin
Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't seen any of them yet because I'm new, but, I'd find it pretty distasteful and wouldn't be a fan.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't seen any either but as someone who is often a little tounge in cheek both online and in real life I don't see a big problem.

People are going through/ have went through a lot and if they feel (possibly temporarily) uplifted enough to make an (not overly funny) attempt at mirth I'd allow it.

Maybe a humour section might work though.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Well, I've only been here a few days or whatever, and I think it's cool that you ask for community opinion to make a modding decision, too, but I can't see under any circumstances how a post like that would be acceptable.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's other ways to make a joke. This tired saw has the potential to play on vulnerable emotions, and push someone away who DESPERATELY needs help. I also feel its a remarkably selfish joke...it has little or nothing to do with recovery, and everything to do with "Hey! Everyone! Notice the mini-haha I made! Notice my clever, unique wit! Notice ME! NOTICE, DAMMITTTTT!!!!1!1!11!!!!ELEVENTYshift"

We have a Café section for off topic goofing. Addiction is deadly business, and being the class clown is hardly a propos of this section. Ego and showing off aren't constructive. How do these threads contribute anything to providing information, support, and HELP to those afflicted?

If someone repeatedly walked into a recovery resource center doing the same thing, they'd be asked to stop. If I called a sponsor with the same remarks frequently, I'd probably be asked not to waste their time. I see no reason these need to continue.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
People are going through/ have went through a lot and if they feel (possibly temporarily) uplifted enough to make an (not overly funny) attempt at mirth I'd allow it.
I haven't seen any either, but would this really be the case? I'm feeling a little up today, so let me scare my fellow forumites into believing I fell off the wagon for a brief moment before clicking my thread? Would seem to be more of a solicitation of "what a relief" attention posts, imo.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

This made me drink........

A Gatorade........

Yea, I get it - It seems we should evolve from maybe what we do as newcomers overtime. Love and tolerance is our code, but if someone has been around for a few 24 hrs perhaps they would get past the shock value of such tripe........
Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't really like bans in general.
I wouldn't say I like the threads or think they're funny, but where do we draw the line with what people can say?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

But I think it was thoughtful of Dee to ask what everyone thinks
Instead of just going ahead and banning them xo
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not a fan of the "I just can't stop ... eating ice cream, that is" gotcha threads. There are better ways to demonstrate wit, as is abundantly clear throughout SR. We have some truly funny people here.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

guys, just to make it clear - this is not about one person in particular, and no bans are being considered, at all

It's just something that irks me and I wanted to see where I was on the bell curve here.

and it is a secret ballot - there's no facility in this poll to say who posted what

D
Old 09-16-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

I haven't noticed any either. If they are out there, I apparently chose not to read them. I don't like drunk jokes and for sure, I wouldn't like relapse jokes.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
I haven't seen any either, but would this really be the case? I'm feeling a little up today, so let me scare my fellow forumites into believing I fell off the wagon for a brief moment before clicking my thread? Would seem to be more of a solicitation of "what a relief" attention posts, imo.
I agree it's not something I would find amusing. Humour is very hit or miss. I just feel there are a lot of people on here in a lot of stages of recovery. The effect that alcohol and whatever on their brain might be that their judgement is off.

I was just looking for a possible explanation for such humour rather than supporting it.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've been somewhat vocal about this issue in the past. All I'll say now is that it's my impression that many people here who've achieved sobriety seem to agree that it's not just about putting down the drink, getting a dream job or finding our soulmate. It's about building a better life.

I think the high road here lies in raising our own and each others' awareness.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thoroughly dislike those threads, I find nothing smart or funny about them. Joke threads belong in the designated part of SR.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
No, I don't like them.