Wanting to help my uncle..

Old 09-04-2004, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting to help my uncle..

My uncle lives in Texas and we are desperatly trying to find him a drug rehab, every place my mom has called so far has a six month wait or longer. He says he wants help and this is the first time he has asked for help. He seems to really want to get clean he told mom he has not used in a month, I hope he is not lying.

Does anyone know how I can find a rehab that does not have a waiting list. Anywhere in Texas would be fine .... I thank you all so much for taking the time to read this letter.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey niece,
I am sorry that your family is going through this. I want to welcome you to SR. There is a lot of love and support here for families of alcoholics. Please feel free to browse the forum, post or reply. I hope that you find something that will help you.

As far as treatment, I do not know much about any particular facilities. I just know that if someone is seeking recovery, there are meetings in most areas nightly for recovery. Narcotics anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous both have websites that can help you locate a meeting. This is a link to some of the resources that SR has gathered; http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/local_links.php

I wish you and your family the best. Please make sure that you take care of yourself too. Families are affected by alcoholism and addiction too. We need to heal. We support each other in that process through this forum and in the Al-Anon and Nar-Anon programs. To find an Al-Anon meeting in your area, http://www.al-anon-alateen.org/english.html and select "How to locate a meeting." And come back here any time. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-19-2004, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My family was lucky enough to find him a great program right in the city... Lots of help was offered to my uncle and he stayed maybe 3 days and left.... I get so angry at this sometimes...... I do not think he wants to get clean...It is like he just uses the help that is gotten for him so he can have a place to sleep a few nights and thats it. My sister had a lot of inside help getting him in the program ahead of others and he just threw it away... Man that makes me so angry....
Old 09-20-2004, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi neice.

I used to try to help Dino with things like that. My luck was not great. No one really even wanted to talk to me. Then Dino got serious and started looking for help for himself and the doors began to open. Why? Because the people behind the doors knew what I didn't. A user that isn't looking for themself probably isn't ready. Next time this happens remind him that the Salvation Army program is free and equal to any in success rate. Then try to let it go.

Hugs,
Smoke