Notices

Chances of escaping detox horror symptoms?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chances of escaping detox horror symptoms?

There's a thread in SR (sorry I don't have the link) that offers personal stories of really terrible, sometimes life threatening symptoms. One scary piece of it, is that they sometimes suddenly occur fairly far down the road.

I never knew that.

Every time I've paused, then sadly returned, to drinking, my experience so far has been consistent.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've drunk enough, horribly long enough, that I'm candidate for the awful stuff potentially.

My body feels very weary. But not even in an awful way. It's almost the way you feel in the aftermath of a bad flu/fever. Where you're weak, but in an odd way relaxed. Like your body is just saying to you "be patient, I need tending to, I need to mend now, lets be glad we got over this"

Can people share if it was always at some point awful, or there wasn't a Bomb that dropped on you?
Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SilentSearch

Some people feel ok after a few days and for some it takes a little longer.
How long have you been sober now?

D
Old 09-14-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Don't allow your fear of withdrawal symptoms drive you back to drinking. The side effects of active alcoholism are all destructive, including progressively ill health and death.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

2 days (almost now) Dee. And EndGame, thanks for the response, but Very much not looking for an excuse. Just concerned. Need to know if I might suddenly turn purple and explode, for example in upcoming job interviews :-)... :-(
Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're at all concerned it's good to see your Dr and get checked over.

Turning purple and exploding is definitely not on the cards tho

D
Old 09-14-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Glad the purple exploding concern is taken care of :-) Currently no health insurance, no Dr. So I'll cross my fingers and throw salt over my shoulder.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
Thanks Dee. Glad the purple exploding concern is taken care of :-) Currently no health insurance, no Dr. So I'll cross my fingers and throw salt over my shoulder.
Hey SS
I think for most the worst symptoms of detox pass within 3-5 days. That isnt to say that serious stuff can't happen outside that timeframe though. Fatigue, headaches, sleeplessness....that can go on longer. Depression and sadness come and go....that can be both psychological and physiological.
Something to think about that might deter you from relapsing is kindling. You can google but essentially it states that each time you detox you increase your risk for serious, life threatening complications.
If you are worried definitely see your dr.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there, if you want it?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics - NeedyMeds
The 14516 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
Call 2-1-1

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee, thank you very much for the resources. I will look into them.

I fall in an odd in between state as I imagine many in the US do these days.

The idea of using/imposing on services .. makes me ill... so to speak. (And might need to run through modest personal savings first in order to do so anyway.)

So it gets odd and complicated. But very much appreciate the info and will check it out.

I think/hope that I'll be ok. My body seems surprisingly to be treating me OK despite how I've mistreated it, at least so far.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EndGame

Need to know if I might suddenly turn purple and explode, for example in upcoming job interviews :-)... :-(
I suppose anything's possible, but let's hope for the beat, shall we?

Then again, if you're interviewing for a reality TV show, your grape-colored cranial events might work in your favor.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better. I know the symptoms of withdrawal can be scary, so be sure to seek medical help if you think you should. Hopefully things will turn around for you in a day or so.