Notices

I realise I have a problem but don't know how to stop it

Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I realise I have a problem but don't know how to stop it

Hi all,

I came across this site after a random search tonight. I am in my early thirties from and living in Ireland and for the past two years I have been getting drunk every night.

I feel like I have lost all the things, friend etc I used to enjoy and do not feel any motivation to stop....staying in and drinking all night seems to be the only thing I want to do .

I am afraid for my health, safety and future now. How do you get the heave ho to start life afresh.....I was a happy funny girl prior all this.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story reads like mine Fiona, welcome!!

For me I was aged 30, drank every night, come from Co, Tyrone, and you know yourself, drinking is a part of Irish culture, every weekend I would get blitzed, but week day drinking soon took its hold, until I never went a day without drinking!!

The "heave ho" comes from what you've already discovered "I am afraid for my health, safety and future now" . . . surely that's enough??

For me I began to fear that point of no return, that needing a drink, rather than wanting a drink, I had crossed that line, and needed to do something!!

You can do this, and you'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Fiona
Old 09-14-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Fiona, you stop it by not drinking. Period. Don't pick up a drink. Ever. Just don't.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fiona, you need to decide that you will do whatever it takes to stop drinking. And, yes, you can stop, many of us have, and you can too.

Make a plan on how you can do this and start now.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the problems with drinking all the time is that it is hard to think beyond the next drink. We spend all our time either drinking, or making plans on how to keep drinking. It's very time consuming and keeps us from seeing what all the other possibilities are that life has to offer.
You said you used to be a happy and funny girl. Well, that happy, funny girl is still there, waiting for you. Quit drinking, and in time, that person will show up again.
It's good that you are beginning to worry about your health and future. Both will be seriously affected if you continue to do what you are doing. The stories I have heard about the health problems people have with continued drinking is beyond terrible!!!!
BTW; I have a feeling you are not drinking because you want to, but it's because you are addicted to alcohol and need to. If you really wanted to, you wouldn't be here on SR.
You'll get great advice on what you can do to turn things around. I hope you take advantage of that and start the hard work necessary to find the real you again. Take Care. John
Old 09-14-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fiona - there's an enormous amount of support here

Like others have said it starts with a decision to change and a commitment to day one.

If you've been drinking heavily for a while it might be a good idea to check in with your Dr too and ask their advice about withdrawal?

D
Old 09-14-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking, I didn't know how I'd manage to live without it. Turns out I do a lot better sober.

To stop drinking, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Fiona. You found a great spot for the next great phase of your life!!
Old 09-14-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Fiona. Your story sounds exactly like mine. Yesterday I found this site by accident so obviously I have no answers for you. But it seems to me that you know you have a problem and by posting here you are acknowledging that. I had never said to anyone "I have a problem" until I posted it yesterday and I think that act itself was at least a small step in the right direction.

I have never tried to give up/reduce alcohol before, so I have no idea what to expect. My approach is to get informed and treat this like a project. Research the net, check out books at my local library, set some (hopefully) achievable goals.

Like I say, I'm new to this, and others with more experience will likely have more/different advice. Listen to everything and select what works for you.

In New Zealand, we Maori have a saying, kia kaha. It means be strong.

Fiona, you are not alone. I wish you well on your journey.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FionaD33 View Post
Hi all,

I came across this site after a random search tonight. I am in my early thirties from and living in Ireland and for the past two years I have been getting drunk every night.

I feel like I have lost all the things, friend etc I used to enjoy and do not feel any motivation to stop....staying in and drinking all night seems to be the only thing I want to do .

I am afraid for my health, safety and future now. How do you get the heave ho to start life afresh.....I was a happy funny girl prior all this.
Fear for you health is a good fear to have. Some people are afraid to go without their fix-that is not a good fear.

Just know that you WILL feel better if you stop drinking. You will feel better in both your brain and your body and that will make you more up for doing alternative things besides drinking.

Exercise it helpful. Drinking lots of water. Eating healthy. Surrounding yourself with positive people. It's important to STAY POSITIVE.

You need to stay away from places and people where alcohol is permissive or encouraged.

You can do it.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you found us, Fiona. Prior to joining SR I had felt all alone. You're among people who understand & care.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You have found one step to stop it, and that is finding this place.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Fiona!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am 33. At 32 I realized I had/have a problem. But I didnt let myself believe it really.

I still have a problem because I slipped up a few days ago after putting together some days/weeks of being sober.

In my sober times, I remember who I really am. But when I drink, thats all I want to do and all I do is drink. Drinking just took a hold of me, and before i knew it, I was drinking every night. 6 beers on the weekdays, then around 10 beers Friday, Sat and Sunday. Most, if not all, of my friends would drink that way too, and I thought it was normal.

But I am glad that I have put sober days/weeks/months together so that I know who I can be, and still am, when I am sober. So that really for me helps me get through the hard times, but obviously that wasnt enough a few days ago. But I learned, adjusted my plan, and have started a new streak of sober days...days which is go into weeks, weeks into months, months into years, and years into the rest of my lifetime.

I was miserable the day after I drank last time. Drinking about two litres of pedialyte before feeling decent enough to get out of bed and get some food.

When are you planning on stopping?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm new here myself but already the words of encouragement and support have helped me so so much. They kinda really know what they're talking about lol! Please log in here and talk to us, post endlessly whenever you feel the urge to drink. Vent, tell us your life story, anything to keep your mind, and hands occupied!