Notices

Kinda discouraged - nothing major and a question

Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda discouraged - nothing major and a question

I've been sober for 2 weeks today, wahoo!!! I've been taking Vitamin C because I had what I thought possible yeast in my stomach and the constant stomach pains I have been having for months have been gone for 5 days now. Even though I've been taking Vitamin C (and I know Vitamin D is just as good, if not better to help prevent colds) I have a cold coming on.

It's discouraging, because as hard as I've tried to make myself better, here I am getting sick? My appetite is coming back slowly, I'm eating one good meal a day and trying for two most days.

I guess my question is, and this might sound ridiculous, but do you have a lower immune system after periods of sobriety? You would think with this vitamin C, I'd be feeling better, not worse. But I guess overall, besides the oncoming cold, I feel great!!! I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense....Oh might I add, getting a cold is highly unusual for me........as a drinking woman anyway
Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, RJ. I've always gotten colds around this time of year myself, when the weather starts to change, whether I was drinking or not. Treat yourself well, get lots of sleep, and maybe get a check up just to make sure everything is ok overall.

Take care,

Delfin
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, well done!

I don't know in answer to your question, but try not to feel discouraged, colds don't last long and you'll be back to your best in no time
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jen.... All sorts of things happen shortly after stopping drinking. Cold/flu symptoms are one of them & seeing as you are in early sobriety I would imagine that is part of it... The body needs time to readjust plus the immune system will be down.. I would recommend seeing your Doctor who will recommend what supplements are needed to help you get fighting fit... Well done on 2 weeks.. AWESOME!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great Going on 2 weeks Jezza!
Old 09-13-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you did get colds but the drinking made you not notice so much? Feel better!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of folks get minor illnesses when we quit.

I'm not sure whether it's withdrawal, whether we used to drink through such things, or simply a result of having over revved our engines for so long...

Hope you feel better soon Jen - and welcome

D
Old 09-13-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I started a whole thread about how I was beset with minor illness the year I quit. It was the strangest thing!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

Take care of yourself and congrats on two weeks of sobriety--keep it up; it's SO worth it!
Old 09-13-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, I think I noticed things more when I stopped drinking. While I was drinking, I paid little attention to my general health and ignored things that I should have dealt with.

Keep taking care of yourself!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone, I haven't gone sober this long in 4-5 years!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR Jen. Awesome work on those two weeks. YAY! I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You should also take zinc! It's really good for immunity. I felt pretty horrible even after a few weeks & I also notice more pain now. I feel like I'm getting or have arthritis in my hands. Before sobering up, I just didn't notice how painful it was.

"We're our own dragons, as well as our own Heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves." -Tom Robbins