Notices

Alcohol and the brain

Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and the brain

I mentioned that a few times in the past month I've had a drink or two. Not enough to feel the effects really, and didn't derive any pleasure from it, but emotionally I think it messed with me. I broke down last Monday thinking about some things. In hindsight it was probably good and necessary to get it out of my system (the emotions). This weekend I have not drank anything and I feel very strong mentally and emotionally. I actually had a friend cancel coming over to watch football today and I'm glad. He probably would have had some beers or whatever, I know I wouldn't have because I don't drink on Sunday. But still, I feel much better overall. I know I'm kind of rambling, but my point is that I think alcohol messes with my brain, even if its not to the point of intoxication. All the more reason to just avoid it altogether. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. First weekend of football so its been fun. Its my favorite (also looking forward to the tennis match today as well). And its nice to know that tomorrow I will remember who won and who lost.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, Jeff - I also have come to believe that alcohol messes with all parts of my brain in one way or another.

I see posts from folks who are so ashamed of their addiction that they don't want anyone to know. I've read posts by those who think that they can drink moderately and I see lots of posts from those who are so beaten down that they feel it's hopeless. None of those things are, in my opinion, actually based in reality. It's a sad testament to how much misery addiction inflicts on us!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not a health drink and sure messes with the brain according to the following. I assume bad things are accomplished with short term drinking also.

The term "wet brain" is not scientifically valid, but refers to a very real condition known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. This chronic brain syndrome is caused by long-term alcoholism and is accompanied by a triad of symptoms:
Mental Disturbance
Confusion, Drowsiness and Paralysis of Eye Movements
Ataxia, or a Staggering Gait

A primary cause for this is a thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency due to severe malnutrition and poor intestinal absorption of food and vitamins caused by alcohol. The wet-brain person acts much like the Alzheimer patient with loss of recent memory, disorientation with regard to time and place, confusion and confabulation, or telling imagined and untrue experiences as truth.

If wet brain is identified in its early onset, an infusion of thiamine (B1) may have some preventive value. But, unfortunately, there is no recovery from Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome; therefore, it is one of the most tragic consequences of alcoholism.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got tested for wet brain I had 4 Dr's round my bed seriously concerned so much so they sent me for a ct scan

Thank God it came back that it wasnt wet brain I came real close & still take thiamine B1 to this day

Jeff from the bottom of my heart this is what can happen your doing good by not drinking
Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I had heard vaguely somethings about wet brain. Didn't realize the seriousness of it. It sounds like it has the ability to render someone disabled. Obviously everyone is different, but I personally believe that alcohol abuse/use in any form makes me fragile. I don't miss the racing heart, high blood pressure, no appetite, mild shakes, messed up digestive system, sweats, sleeplessness, restlessness, and general chaos it causes. I find it rewarding to go to bed at night knowing that I will feel 110% in the morning and ready for the day's challenges. When alcohol is involved, all bets are off. Its rolling the dice....every damn time. Sometimes I/we get away with it, sometimes its hell on earth. At least that is my opinion.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it absolutely messes with your head, and (if you drank Hard for a long time like me) for a surprisingly long period after we drink too.

Drunkenness is not required, either - it was any amount of alcohol for me.

D