Notices

3 weeks and soooooo tired

Old 09-13-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks and soooooo tired

Hi All-

Three weeks ago yesterday was the last time I drank and I am concerned with how tired I am... I didn't drink daily but I drank two to three times a week (at least a bottle of wine with usually a couple of beers after) and then once or twice a month I would get very drunk - 2 + bottles of wine with more beer.,,

Three weeks is the longest that I have gone without a drop in at least four and a half years. I didn't really have any withdrawal symptoms except for the initial hangover three Sundays ago and I felt really good during the second week but the last three days have been awful.

I dont feel ill - just very very tired. I have been running in the mornings and today was good- - I ran an hour but yesterday I quit after a couple of minutes because I was tired and never recovered. Went to bed at 7pm last night... Despite my run this morning I am once again wiped out..

Is this normal? I cant go to the Dr because I lost my job and havent gotten insurance again yet... taking multi and B vitamins and really dont have a craving for alcohol.. just really tired.. Anyone else have this happen and how long before you got past the exhaustion?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at day 19 and still have bouts of exhaustion. I feel weak a lot like I haven't eaten yet I have. I'm trying to eat more and healthier options. I was a daily heavy drinker. Not sure if it's normal, but I have been to the doctor. I go back Oct. 1st for a follow up. I recommend making sure you stay hydrated and eat plenty of healthier stuff. Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wear out when I don't eat enough, or don't eat enough carbs and combine that with vigorous exercise - and I've been sober for a year and a half. How's your food intake? With all that running you need to fuel your body.

How much sleep are you getting?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Sinderos- congrats on 19 days too..

Biminiblue.. I havent really changed my eating habits too much so I think I am ok there and I am getting a lot of sleep- in bed usually around 8ish right now and waking around 4:30 am which is good because I love being up early in the mornings...

Ive been searching "fatigue" on sober blogs this morning and I guess its not unusual- I just wish I could figure out how to "fix" it.. I guess it will just take time..
Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

3 weeks is awesome CS

Keep up the good work exhaustion is very common in early sobriety as is a desire to do as much as possible I burnt out of energy a few times stayed sober but was knackered

Balance is essential I train 4 out 7 days at the moment I hope to get that up to everyday but not yet

Your doing amazing fwiw
Old 09-13-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it takes time. 8 weeks in I feel much better in general but I still have ups and downs. I think it's important to keep the long view in mind so that you don't get too worried or frustrated by the short term complications of getting sober.

It's been helping me to read the posts of those with a year or more to get some perspective on the slow process of full recovery. Once we've got more time sober a couple days of feeling off won't seem like such a big deal. Hang in there, you're doing great!!
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I only quit a few days ago so can't say what the future olds, I know I made myself really sick, the shakes are about gone and I'm getting some sleep but I'm sooo tired it's all I can do to do some stuff around the house, have to sit down every 5 or 10 minutes, wife wanted me to go shopping with her this morning , she got a little upset when I said I couldn't do it and needed a couple more days to recoup. Well don't blame her, did it to myself but it doesn't make you less sick. good luck, stay sober.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf... Balance has never been my strong suit but I am working on it.. patience too.

Congrats on 8 weeks Upwardspiral... That is awesome- I am looking forward to that milestone too.

Good luck to you as well zeppodog.. you will get past the initial withdrawal symptoms soon.. rest when you need to - it helps..
Old 09-13-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've quit more times than I could begin to count and each time I have been so very fortunate to suffer very few withdrawal symptoms. However, I always suffer from exhaustion. From what I have read a number of things are going on. One, our bodies are working to repair the damage we have done. Even moderate drinkers suffer from the ill effects of alcohol, imagine what we over drinkers and alcoholics have done. Two, you are running on way less calories than what your body is accustomed to. I was drinking nearly 1800 calories a day. Despite my heavy drinking I almost always maintained a healthy diet. So nothing has changed with my diet but I am down a lot of calories.
you say you are eating well, but try adding in some simple sugars for a little boost. I have found when I am feeling particularly sluggish or am facing a strong craving, a full glass of fruit juice perks me right up and nearly instantly takes away the craving. I also keep a lot of fresh fruit around the house and eat that when I am having trouble with my energy.
Vitamins are great and I take a lot of them, but nothing compares to whole foods. Stock up on some juices (no sugar added, the natural sugar is enough) and some fresh fruit, I think you might notice a difference, I sure have.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very normal. Hope you'll get your energy back soon creativespirit

Welcome aboard

D
Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I literally spent so weeks in bed and treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness.....and I am. Your body know what it wants.....go w the flow is my advice.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats. On your progress.

Now that you are clean, you wil start to get loads of anxiety. If you are like me....

It will.make you want to drink....don't give in...they tell me the relapses are killer...

I started taking a vit b supp.

That wasn't until I was over 80'days.clean though.

Helped my energy.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I experienced more emotional exhaustion rather than physical exhaustion. But, I do think it's great that you are listening to your body and paying attention to it.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I get spells of fatigue. Even though I'm pretty active most days some of the days that I'm not I still feel it.

So I feel you on that.

Congrats on your 3 weeks!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am still exhausted a lot of the time and I am in my third month. My doctor suggested more water and try to get out and walk. I have been sleeping a lot and not doing any physical exercise but I think it is time to start up again. hopefully it will give me more energy! Good Luck to you
Old 09-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

I hope you feel better soon Creativespirit. 3 weeks is wonderful! Congratulations!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, completely normal & to be expected. I was exhausted and drained for over a month after quitting - and then slowly came out of the fog. We've beaten ourselves up rather badly - it takes time to heal.

Great job on reaching 3 weeks, creativespirit.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

This is so normal and WILL pass.

I remember being terribly exhausted for about 3 months but it did lift. Just take it easy on yourself and your body will recover in its own good time. After the fatigue lifts, you'll be amazed at how your body and mind feel clear and rested on a daily basis.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who so kindly took the time to respond.. I am following everyone's advice...food, water, acceptance, patience etc and I will get through it.

The awesome Fall weather is helping but the heat is coming back this week. I feel good today so I will ride the ups and downs and keep moving forward.

Bless you all and your kindness... THANK YOU!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me it took a month or so to feel energetic, it took many years of drinking to get me to where I got to, it was going to take more than a few weeks for my body to repair!!

Hang in there!!