Notices

Ouch! Hurts Like Crazy

Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ouch! Hurts Like Crazy

Tripped on a pantry table leg and got what I think is a bad muscle bruise on my back. Probably no bone damage. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible next week. Meanwhile it really hurts like all get out. Can get out of bed but not out of the living room chair without help. Not drinking. Feel absolutely no urge to do so. I know you're not allowed to give medical advice but does anyone out there know or have experience about how long the big pain lasts with a medium to severe muscle bruise? Maybe a week?

W.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no idea how long a muscle bruise will take.

I hope you feel much better very soon.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wish I had some wisdom for you but can only send you "get well soon" wishes!
Old 09-12-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Wish I had some wisdom for you but can only send you "get well soon" wishes!
I like that "Never Give Up" Churchill quote. Also what Grant told Lincoln:"I intend to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer!"

W.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, W. In another thread, someone mentioned Churchill was an alcoholic. Which I already knew.

I just like the quote and am reminded it was spoken to inspire during a time of fear and uncertainty.

The Grant quote is cool, too!
Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

if it's any guide, I stumbled and had a pretty severe muscle sprain last Saturday Bill and it took me maybe 4-5 days for it to come good.

D
Old 09-12-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Depends if its a real bad bruise it could be 10-14 days sometimes I'm not there or a Dr to check severity

I know there are things like deep heat & tiger balm but be warned its gives off a pong
Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
if it's any guide, I stumbled and had a pretty severe muscle sprain last Saturday Bill and it took me maybe 4-5 days for it to come good.

D
Thank Dee. It hurts real bad, sort of seizes or has spasms. Will try to get it to the doc as soon as possible. The dog is doing a darn good job as a "Nurse Practitioner" Odd how the dogs always know what's going on.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely do see your Dr - I was lucky mine was only a sprain but I couldn't know for sure....

Hopefully you'll be on the mend soon Bill!

D
Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Thanks, W. In another thread, someone mentioned Churchill was an alcoholic. Which I already knew.

I just like the quote and am reminded it was spoken to inspire during a time of fear and uncertainty.

The Grant quote is cool, too!
If Churchill was an alcoholic, he may have been what I have heard called a "high functioning alcoholic". Yet his illness does not seem to have been as progressive as some of these types. Definitely a maintenance drinker. Not a binge or episodic drinker. He was wrong some of the time. Gallipoli, Greece, Crete. Despite all that he had the stamina of U.S. Grant, also a heavy drinker.

W.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sleep well tonight, wpainterw; it does wonders for the body, mind and soul.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
rjh

ouch

sounds like you bruised a rib. will be sore for awhile. espesially when you cough, or try to walk, and sleep. go see a doctor. took 6 weeks for my bruised rib to feel better.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjh View Post
sounds like you bruised a rib. will be sore for awhile. espesially when you cough, or try to walk, and sleep. go see a doctor. took 6 weeks for my bruised rib to feel better.
Thanks. I can do that. I am learning that a good tactic is to stay in bed and when out of bed do everything very carefully and slowly, taking particular pains (!!) not to fall. It's not what you get done. It's how you do what you do. Lots of wisdom in the Tao. Astonishing that they learned so much 2500 years ago and that most of the Western World has largely neglected it. Now the emphasis is on trying to do too much, "multitasking", "career", competition, "achievement", "me", money, fame, possessions. What do the trillions of stars care about such things! We are like ants, running with the herd, patting ourselves on the back. Worshiping the Queen or King Ant. "Vanity! Vanity! All is Vanity! Saith the Prophet!" (Ecclesiastes)

W.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and sorry to hear of your misery. Since Jan. I’ve been in a back pain mode and not following Med advice suffer. Finally going Mon AM.

Had you thought of going to the ER? It’s well staffed and equipped and close enough. The doctor may send you there anyway for tests.

BE WELL
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bill, have you tried applying heat or a heat producing gel to it?
Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would try and rest as far as you can.

Heat pads work well too and heat creams.

I think a check with medics would be good too. Don't take any risks. Make sure its going to heal okay.

Get better soon xx
Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Absorbine veterinary liniment gel. I kid you not. Best thing I've found for muscle pains. You may have to go to a feed and seed store to get it.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi and sorry to hear of your misery. Since Jan. I’ve been in a back pain mode and not following Med advice suffer. Finally going Mon AM.

Had you thought of going to the ER? It’s well staffed and equipped and close enough. The doctor may send you there anyway for tests.

BE WELL
Thanks IOAA2! Yes, I have thought of all of those things, including ER. Went to ER last year. They sorted me out well compared to Boston, where they had discharged me even though I was in bad shape, but in sorting me out the local ER made a mistake and hurt my back. The wound took four weeks to heal completely. So I've become very cautious. Obviously would go there if I had a heart attack or stroke. Anyway, I'm going to the doctor next week if they have an opening. Get an X-ray or even CT scan if needed. This doctor did a good job when I broke my leg three years ago. (My primary had said that the leg was not broken). So I'm the patient and make the decisions because (something the doctors forget sometimes)- I have the body and I take the risks and also I'm human, not something like a car to be repaired with a monkey wrench)
Sorry to vent but medical care these days, although technically superb in some ways (I wouldn't be alive without that open heart surgery and the "non invasive" heart valve replacement last year) sometimes forgets that patients are human and also don't particularly like being talked down to (like to me the word "patient" is implicitly demeaning).
Hope I don't offend any docs who happen to be on this forum. There are some great docs out there.

W.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Absorbine veterinary liniment gel. I kid you not. Best thing I've found for muscle pains. You may have to go to a feed and seed store to get it.
Yes, and they had "Absorbine Senior" for horses. In a way I'm an old horse, retired from the track, but as the late Mr. Justice Holmes said, am still ready for a little canter or two before I cash in my chips.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi wpainterw, it depends on your age and some other factors such as diet, overall health etc....I know as I've gotten older (just turned 48) it takes longer to heal. Hopefully its just a bruise, and if that's the case, its all about pain management. If you have done any structural damage, which your doctor will tell you) the healing process may be entirely different and lengthy. Good luck.