Notices

Made it through the night.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through the night.

Well got through the night with some help from my doctor, trying to decide what to do, wife wants me to go to AA, went years ago didn't get into the whole 12 step thing, I'd like to go the rational recovery meetings but there are none nearby. I tried one on one counseling for a while but felt like I was talking to a physiatrist. Well still alive and a couple more days and I'll feel human again, just not a human that drinks.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would give AA another shot, not all groups are the same. Maybe this one will be a better fit for you. Give sobriety everything you have and no compromise.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

That's good Zep , That's true though what sva said all AA meetings aren't the same . But if you tried them you may already know that. I went to 2-3 over the years of trying to get sober .
This last time just bombarded myself with projects , crafts anything to take up my time . Sick of one always have another one to focus on . Have you tried to get into Hobbies ? It is hard to occupy long days at the beginning ..
Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zeppodog View Post
Well got through the night with some help from my doctor, trying to decide what to do, wife wants me to go to AA, went years ago didn't get into the whole 12 step thing, I'd like to go the rational recovery meetings but there are none nearby. I tried one on one counseling for a while but felt like I was talking to a physiatrist. Well still alive and a couple more days and I'll feel human again, just not a human that drinks.
There are online SMART meetings and some face to face too depending on where you live. If RR appeals to you, SMART might as well. Some of the online SMART meetings are voice, so you can talk if you want. Yeah, it's all about what resonates with us on an individual basis for recovery programs, they are all good. Glad you are done with Day 1!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I'm not on a bender which is most the time, we ride motorcycles, bicycle, go to movies, I love to go up in the hills and walk my dogs, shoot guns. Most of my life does not revolve around drinking, so you'd think that would make it easier to never start again.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I know Zep it's real hard , a lot of work . It's the feeling better , over all health wise . That's what keeps me pushing along . That stuff made me feel Terrible in the end ..
My Dad always had this saying -after he quit : How can that Stuff make you feel so good & so bad all at the same time ? Then add that's why I quit
Old 09-12-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm glad to see you back, Zeppo. If AA is convenient, you might try it again -- I go now once a week to a meeting just to see and listen to other people with my same problem. I don't worry about the program or the steps anymore, not for now. For me now a meeting's just a warm friendly hangout where I can be honest about my alcoholism, or just be a face in the room if I prefer.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Hey Zeppo good to see you back.
I liked what nestwasempty's dad said, I got to that point and decided to look at any "good" associated with my drinking as a chimera or lie and really was all bad. The crap I'd do when I was drinking and the mind, body and soul damage I'd have to endure after. Best way I found to avoid it was to simply not start again, ever.
Simple plan 1 Stop, 2 Don't, not easy , but then again only as hard as I was going to make it for myself.
Most of your life doesn't revolve around drinking, that's a great start, hope you decide to make it "all", you can if you want, rooting for ya.
Tbh ,as I'm sure you already know , a lot in the beginning is going to revolve around not drinking, making a firm commitment, any cravings or times of wtf thinking basically battling the AV, but it will get easier and you will settle into being comfortable with being a nondrinker, go for it, it's doable, beats hell out of the alternative.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It can't hurt to give AA another try. Like courage, I use SR as my primary source of recovery support but go to a meeting or two a week just to get out of my own head. You don't have to work the steps to go--the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking.

Anyways, most important thing is you're back on the right path. Wishing you the best today...
Old 09-12-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Zeppo-----I'm glad to see you back today. Sounds like you have some good hobbies in your life that you enjoy - activities that certainly shouldn't involve any amount of alcohol. I don't know anything about AA, so can't offer my opinion. I do know that SR gives a tremendous amount of support. Sometimes I wish I could have some face to face contact. I'm still early in another recovery attempt, so I might still try that. Keep on coming back Zeppo.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I went to AA three times over the span of 30 years, attending a total of around a dozen meetings. When I started to have consequences of drinking as you describe, the need or desire I suppose to recover became more of an imperative.

15 months ago I went back to AA, got sponsor and do step work. I have been sober ever since. I think I was at season in life where I was ready to stop fighting myself. The program and the many friends in the rooms help me with that. It wasn't that I said, gee wouldn't AA be fun?! It was more like - crap, turns out I can't stay stopped and one of these daze I may wake up dead.......

I too enjoy shooting guns and bird hunting. Shooting sober turns out to be much safer for me and other around me.......

Glad you're on the mend - welcome back, friend.

Sometimes I recall this AA joke -
A man went to a funeral for a friend he hadn't seen in several years -
Speaking to his widow he relayed his sorrow.

Yes, thanks the bereaved woman replied.
It was the drink that got my poor husband Tommy.

Oh, yes that's sad commented the friend.

Did he ever try AA? the man asked the widow.......

Oh, heavens no!!!! My goodness, Tommy wasn't that bad.....
Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think Fly hit it on the head. Different seasons in our life call for different options and experiences. Why not give AA another chance. You're worth it, don't you think?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are back and got through the night.

There are also SR chat meetings on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9p ET. We'd love to see you there!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better.

I don't think there are any Rational Recovery meetings. I could be wrong however. But the website has lots of info.

Have you ever tried outpatient treatment? Its kind of cool. And there should be other kinds of alcoholism support groups that aren't 12 step based. Sometimes hospitals have them.