Notices

terrified and trying again (my accountability thread)

Old 09-11-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

terrified and trying again (my accountability thread)

10 days have passed since I joined. I intended it to be my Day 1.
I'm terrified on practical survival fronts currently :-(. Which makes it Even crazier not to care for oneself.

Please excuse me for seeking supportive words once more :-(.

I want to try once more.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A little fear can be a good thing - nothing made me love and cherish my recovery more than the thought I might not be able to keep it.

Give your recovery everything you've got SilentSearch - try new things, new means of support, new programmes - healthy positive things that perhaps you've never tried before?

You'll get back exactly what you put in, so put it 110%.

You don't need to relapse ever again - and you don;t need to feel this way ever again as well

you can do this

D
Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, keep at it. I came here on my day ones probably twenty times. No kidding.
Despite my best intentions, I couldn't stop. I even was attending AA meetings and couldn't stop.
I stopped going to meetings, but it planted a bug in my ear. Here were all these people, here and at meetings, who were so unlike me, in a personal way, but were solving our common affliction concerning alcohol.
I kept coming here. I believed in a Higher Power.
Things began to click. I felt like such a failure , but found hope and I never stopped trying. I never gave up.

It's been over four and a half years since I felt the need to drink. It didn't happen over night for me. There was no burning bush moment. It was just time, and I was about as bad a drunk as you could imagine.

So don't give up. Keep trying. Try again. But never lose that thread of hope that exists here and at AA meetings that we can get a reprieve from alcoholism. One day at a time.
If you're serious about quitting, and I was, do whatever it takes.
It may take baby steps, drastic measures or, God forbid, The horrors that I went through.
You can do it. Keep coming back.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's some really useful links to building a plan

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...SMA12-4474.pdf

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never give up, silent. I think most of us have been coming here on our "day one"s, wanting to start, and terrified to actually follow through. If you keep trying, one day something will click and you will find the strength to go through with it. Mine did just 3 days ago, and I couldn't be happier. My life is already starting to improve - my relationships with my DH, my teenage son, myself. I feel better in the morning, my shaking has all but stopped, I can remember what happened the night before, and I don't regret going to bed sober. You can do this...
Old 09-11-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SilentSearch - I know just how you feel. Few of us get it right the very first time. I definitely needed further convincing. I drank 30 yrs. & now have 7+ yrs. sober - so I know it can be done, and you can do it. We're with you.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Took me a whole lot of day ones to get to today--day 127. It gets better with time, I promise.

a) Ask for help if you get even the smallest urge to drink.
b) Help others as much as you can, even if it's just saying "hello" or "I hear you."
c) Remember you don't take that first drink today no matter what. As long as you don't take the first, you won't have to worry about the second or third or tenth drink that will almost always follow.

Wishing you the best today. Check in often! We're here for you.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Midday update. Heartfelt thanks to everyone. I needed to go out to do a chore. And had your words in mind while driving and found myself crying. I believe without this thread I might have convinced myself to get 'just one more' bottle of wine to 'taper off' with.

Day isn't over yet and I dread the night. (Isn't it ironic that one reason for drinking is to temporarily escape the deep regret and lost time caused by drinking.) My particular pattern has always been to drink in order to get that deep warm buzz that takes away regrets temporarily and sinks me into sleep.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
(Isn't it ironic that one reason for drinking is to temporarily escape the deep regret and lost time caused by drinking.)
YEP! I know *EXACTLY* what that is all about. Drink to forget about your drinking problem.

Keep going, SilentSearch!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, silent. Cried many times wanting to quit, and then breaking down and drinking anyway. Tell your AV to shut the heck up because YOU'RE in control now, not it. Never give up, because you will become sick & tired of being sick & tired and WILL get there. I'm sending out positive vibes...
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Search
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
Midday update. Heartfelt thanks to everyone. I needed to go out to do a chore. And had your words in mind while driving and found myself crying. I believe without this thread I might have convinced myself to get 'just one more' bottle of wine to 'taper off' with.

Day isn't over yet and I dread the night. (Isn't it ironic that one reason for drinking is to temporarily escape the deep regret and lost time caused by drinking.) My particular pattern has always been to drink in order to get that deep warm buzz that takes away regrets temporarily and sinks me into sleep.
When I romanticize drinking I forget what it really does to me. And I think I'm at the point where drinking simply doesn't work. Today for example. I'm down. I'm thinking of the past a lot. Makes me very sad. My alcoholic brain tells me that drinking will relieve this sadness. But it won't. It might numb me and knock me out, but the pain will be there tomorrow. Along with a hangover and the intrinsic depression that is caused by alcoholism. Or I drink and it intensifies the pain, makes me wallow, feel sorry for myself, catastrophize. And then, again, the next day....its all still there. And so I am. And so is my addiction. And so is the past....if I let it be.

Edited to add a quote a like: "Few people realize that sobriety is an action of insights and skills far beyond mere abstinence" David Stewart. In other words, I need new ways of coping and thinking otherwise I will continue to fight daily life.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this SilentSearch!!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know just what you mean about drinking to numb the consequences of drinking! Yeah, makes no sense - but I did it for years. All we do is prolong the inevitable - but we don't see it at the time. Now you know, Search - and you can rise above it.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

I understand Search. I've had several Day 1s. My most recent Day 1 was 9/7/15. Never give up. You can do this one day at a time. Post as many times per day as you need to in order to keep from drinking. You will be so relieved to go to bed sober and wake up without a hangover. We're here for you.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you're doing ok SilentSearch?

D
Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I tried many times and came here over and over until it stuck. Don't give up SilentSearch!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Journaling seems to help me a lot. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How did the evening go, SilentSearch? Thinking of you.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dear Everyone,

Thank you. (Hevyn & Dee thank you so much for re-checking in specifically.) I'm sorry for not checking back in sooner. For obvious reasons :-( Felt wrong to start, slip, repeat and keep getting support.

But here I am early Monday AM! Which means - Sunday was Free of anything other than a green smoothie I treated myself too, lots of water, and a few small bites of a sandwich.

Not a drop of the nasty alcohol, also known as CH3CH2OH. Ethanol - that's the form of alcohol we humans consume. (I looked it all up) Also defined by wikipedia as a "neurotoxic psychoactive drug. Not so pretty sounding! Especially the neurotoxic part.

I feel so sad, but not as ashamed as before finding the forum. Even though I Totally knew, somehow at the same time I didn't know - how alone I was with this. For now I'm mostly feeling very very sad about all the time gone. Scared about finding work. VERY sobered by the thread where people share withdrawal symptoms over time. Since it could have a serious impact on surviving the coming months. I have my fingers crossed about mind and body healing.

And I'm very aware this is just one day lived through so far.