Notices

5 months

Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months

Well, I am officially FIVE months sober….I could not have made to this part of my recovery without my higher power-GOD, my support network: SR, My mom, daily reading of my holy book (Quran), and the book” What to expect & What To Do (Quitting Crystal Meth) by Joseph Sharp. We are all different. I didn’t need AA to get sober. Another thing that has helped me is making goals and making sure no matter how bad the cravings got I always had to keep a BUSY schedule. Within these 5 months I am back in school, I am working whenever I am not in school, I have put on my travel plans on hold because I know NOW that nothing is more important than staying stable and in one place until I get at least over 6 months sober. This first year of recovery is SO critical. All our grand plans for life can wait. While staying present and focused on getting sober slowly but surely great seeds have been planted in my life. I actually am saving money now opposed to before, I trust God will be there and don’t hold on to guilt as much as I used to. I have learned to not react to people that I know are miserable on the inside and I have learned to keep my eye on the prize again. I am slowly starting to enjoy doing the things I enjoyed before using. I have gained NEW interests as well. Old fears are slowly becoming nonexistent. Therefore, it gets better. I may not be where I want to be in life, I still don't have my dream job, I still don't have the boyfriend/marriage I want, I still don't have the house I want BUT what I do have right now is the ABILITY to get those things because I am not craving the next high. My brain can function so I can l=plan, execute, and earn all the things I want.

I have so much more to say but I want to save my epic long post for next month when I have 6 months!!! God Willing. I love you all. What a great site. It truly is a safe and great place to get sober.

P.S: I am terrified for the holidays coming up and the summer ending ...it is usually a rough time for me but this time around I have a good amount of sober time under my belt and the support of SR!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great. Good for you for making a plan and sticking to your goals. And, learning to not react to other people was a big step for me. I'm glad you recognize that you can step away and carry on.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna!

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're doing great. Good for you for making a plan and sticking to your goals. And, learning to not react to other people was a big step for me. I'm glad you recognize that you can step away and carry on.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

You will be strong and keep going, stay here and stay close to the good people in your life.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
You will be strong and keep going, stay here and stay close to the good people in your life.
Thank You so much!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

5 months is awesome! You sound like you're really on the right path, skywalker91. Keep checking in please!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Skywalker - you're sounding great - just keep doing what you're doing

D
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee & Casey! I will def keep checking in
Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go, skywalker!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

5 months is a beautiful thing congrats bud
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
Well, I am officially FIVE months sober….I could not have made to this part of my recovery without my higher power-GOD, my support network: SR, My mom, daily reading of my holy book (Quran), and the book” What to expect & What To Do (Quitting Crystal Meth) by Joseph Sharp. We are all different. I didn’t need AA to get sober. Another thing that has helped me is making goals and making sure no matter how bad the cravings got I always had to keep a BUSY schedule. Within these 5 months I am back in school, I am working whenever I am not in school, I have put on my travel plans on hold because I know NOW that nothing is more important than staying stable and in one place until I get at least over 6 months sober. This first year of recovery is SO critical. All our grand plans for life can wait. While staying present and focused on getting sober slowly but surely great seeds have been planted in my life. I actually am saving money now opposed to before, I trust God will be there and don’t hold on to guilt as much as I used to. I have learned to not react to people that I know are miserable on the inside and I have learned to keep my eye on the prize again. I am slowly starting to enjoy doing the things I enjoyed before using. I have gained NEW interests as well. Old fears are slowly becoming nonexistent. Therefore, it gets better. I may not be where I want to be in life, I still don't have my dream job, I still don't have the boyfriend/marriage I want, I still don't have the house I want BUT what I do have right now is the ABILITY to get those things because I am not craving the next high. My brain can function so I can l=plan, execute, and earn all the things I want.

I have so much more to say but I want to save my epic long post for next month when I have 6 months!!! God Willing. I love you all. What a great site. It truly is a safe and great place to get sober.

P.S: I am terrified for the holidays coming up and the summer ending ...it is usually a rough time for me but this time around I have a good amount of sober time under my belt and the support of SR!
Congrats Skywalker, keep walking on the sky like an eagle
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
5 months is a beautiful thing congrats bud
Thank You brother!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaSilverSurfer View Post
Congrats Skywalker, keep walking on the sky like an eagle
Thank You Silver Surfer!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Way to go, skywalker!
Thank You
Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow! Fantastic accomplishment and fantastic post! Congratulations!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Skywalker! We will hang out here on SR together along with the others who get a little squirrely with the onset of winter. You/We got this!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

5 Months is fantastic Skywalker!!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Wow! Fantastic accomplishment and fantastic post! Congratulations!
Thank You!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Congratulations Skywalker! We will hang out here on SR together along with the others who get a little squirrely with the onset of winter. You/We got this!
Awesome! Winter & The Bermuda Triangle ( Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years) is a toughie but yes we can do it together
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
5 Months is fantastic Skywalker!!
Thanks Purple Knight!