Al-anon and the donation basket ???

Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-anon and the donation basket ???

I’ve been going to al-anon for many years and always have put a $1.00 into the donation basket when it’s passed around.

From what I understand a dollar is all that has been asked as a donation for many many years. Al-anon in many places is now being asked by churches, schools and various locations to carry their own insurance.

Literature costs have risen, coffee and coffee supply prices have risen but the suggested donation of $1.00 has not risen.

I will be attending a business meeting to discuss insurance issues along with possibly asking for more when the donation basket is passed.

Have any of you who attend al-anon come across this issue? If so how was it handled?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Our group considers 2$ the "asking" donation (only of course if this is an option for the person).

We have had a lot of discussion about supplies (donation or part of the fee that you put in the basket). The different groups in our location have had different decision on this (one is donation, the other is covered by the monies given etc).
Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I can really only talk about AA, but since Al-Anon follows the same traditions I'm assuming it's the same.

It's a delicate subject because some people can't afford to make ANY contribution. I couldn't find anything on the Al-Anon website but here's some stuff from the AA website: Alcoholics Anonymous : Contributions & Self-Support
Old 09-10-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It certainly is a delicate subject and one to approach cautiously. It’s always a “suggested” donation if one is able and if they are not, that’s ok to. Even with the books if someone is interested but can’t afford it we always make some kind of arrangement.

I guess suggesting $2.00 if one is able could be something to approach the group with.

Thank you for your replies!!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A couple of the groups I've attended have passed around the basket along w/a sheet of paper w/the "I Don't Give A Buck!" message from this newsletter Secretary's Corner Al-Anon of Southeastern WI .

In the beginning, I gave a dollar also, but I began to notice others giving more and have recently settled into putting a $10 bill in the basket at the first meeting of each month to take care of the rest of the month whether I make it to that particular meeting again or not (I'm a floater at work, covering different routes w/different start and end times, so no guarantees on my attendance at any one meeting). I figure the meeting goes on whether I attend on any given week or not, and I owe them that support if I want them to be there. I can afford this; I'm sure there are those who can't. However, maybe this appears to others as if I'm not donating at all on the weeks when I don't put money in?

I've also donated copies of Alanon literature that I've purchased at bargain prices on Amazon and the like. Again, I can do so w/o a problem, so I do.

I agree that it's a touchy subject, and I would hope that those who can do more would do so after mention was made. Maybe it could be worked in along w/the treasurer's report somehow?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I find what helped our group was to once a month have a short "financial report" given by the treasurer to the group - just a little 5-10 min brief summary of the amounts coming in & going out - my first couple of months in al-anon - although I contributed to the basket - I had no idea what the money was needed for ~ it helped when everyone knew what the group was responsible to pay for ~

Just what helped with our group ~
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks honeypig that is also what I am hoping will happen. The people who can give more will do so.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks MsPinkAcres! And I agree with you that once people are made aware of why donations are collected and where that money goes they have a better understanding. I will suggest that.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My homegroup has a financial report every few months; balance, expenditures etc. We cover rent, coffee, literature etc from the fund- if rent or overhead increased ie having insurance then I guess we'd ask for more. I usually throw in a $5 or so- I get more out of Alanon than all the shrinkage I've ever had put together so just from a copay standpoint its cheap at the price.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a section in the Al-Anon service manual that helped out our group with this.

One of things that did come up was the "how" of paying. I also do monthly/yearly for payment as it is frankly easier for me to keep track of. As a result I NEVER put anything into the basket for Al-Anon (I will if I attend an open AA meeting as this is not consistent meeting for me). I don't think anyone else does it this way, and my putting money into the basket created confusion, so I just put it into the final donation place when my money is due). We got a lot out of the conversation that this prompted.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My home group changed to a suggested $2 donation several months ago and it's helped immensely. Most of the groups I go to suggest $1. There is one other meeting I've attended that suggests $2 and my home group based our wording on theirs.

I attended the business meetings discussing this not long after I had visited the food bank in order to have fuel to get to meetings and work, and had been scraping together change in order to contribute $1.

The wording of the suggested donation was very important to me. These things were all good for personal growth. I learned to ask for appropriate help, contribute where/when possible, that non-financial contributions are also needed (service work/attending meetings and business meetings), and how to look at the greater good -- principals above personalities.

We also take a few minutes once a month to read the treasurers report with basic information of group costs and contributions. Members are encouraged to attend the business meetings to learn more and give input. We tried putting a paper with information in the basket, but it seems to work much better for our group to not have that and do the monthly treasury update.

My home group charges for all literature, except pamphlets and How Alanon Works which is paid for by our District. Another one of my regular groups has a lending library that I've enjoyed making use of.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In A.A , World Services put out a letter asking people to increase their donations because the cost of everything has gone up.

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I’ve been going to al-anon for many years and always have put a $1.00 into the donation basket when it’s passed around.

From what I understand a dollar is all that has been asked as a donation for many many years. Al-anon in many places is now being asked by churches, schools and various locations to carry their own insurance.

Literature costs have risen, coffee and coffee supply prices have risen but the suggested donation of $1.00 has not risen.

I will be attending a business meeting to discuss insurance issues along with possibly asking for more when the donation basket is passed.

Have any of you who attend al-anon come across this issue? If so how was it handled?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't posted in a while but wanted to say that all the meetings in my district have a financial report at the start of each meeting (as well as a GR and PR report). I do think it helps for people to understand what is being collected ,what the current account balance is and what we are spending money on. We also vote on what things to spend money on (Al-Ateen donations, literature for prisoners as well as buying supplies for the group meetings).
Old 09-11-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I put $10 at the first meeting I attend in the beginning of the month, regardless of the amount of meetings I attend later on.

Sue