Notices

Temper after relapse

Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temper after relapse

Hello all:

I drank Saturday and now I can't seem to shake the irritability off. I thought Sunday I was hungover, Monday I was just dissapointed but now it's Wednesday and I'm still super irritable. I'm very hot blooded as it is but this is ridiculous. I'm thinking that since I am mad at myself I am taking it out on others.

I really hope that it and that it passes soon. I'm just so pissed! I'm trying to let go of Saturday but it's so hard and now after I sent a pissy email that I can't take bad I feel like a jackass. AV has been totally dormant. Typical after a relapse for me...

Arghhhhh!!!

Patience! Serenity!
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
AV has been totally dormant. Typical after a relapse for me...
The AV may be quiet, but the addiction is active...hence the irritability. Especially if you normally drank your anger and irritability away.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep my hubby .. but the addiction is active...hence the irritability... but he is starting to realize his voice is to LOUD and his anger is very very bad... he is trying.. sometimes that is all I can give him for a gold star You are trying.. to manage the irrittability... don't watch tv or news... if you find yourself yelling at the computer turn it. off.. try to listen to softer things and not movies with alot of noise NOISE and bangs... if I can stop hubby from that our evenings are so much nicer... prayers and good luck kiddo at least you can say Hey This is what I am doing and driving others nuts... hugs to from a Mom
Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

..restless, irritable and discontent... yep, I remember those little buggers.

Keep with it. Deep breaths. Maybe a little meditative bringing yourself into the moment (close your eyes and try to focus your mind on what you can smell; hear; feel. How your breathing is. How your heart beat feels; etc.) If the crowding thoughts come back in, breathe them away, like blowing a cloud or a bubble away gently. Sometimes works for me... sorry you're feeling a bit rubbish. It will be worth it
Old 09-09-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought I would start growing out of my temper but at 35 I don't think that's happening. I told myself last time I was feeling this way and overreacted that next time I would wait to respond to anything. I didn't and I sent that email and now I feel worse.

My stomach doesn't feel right and I don't know if it's the nerves or the effects of alcohol. I drank with my husband on Saturday and today he told me he doesn't even remember half of the night. I'm on day 4 now. But it's not hard because I was a binger that went weeks without touching it. I am definitely staring to understand the difference in the work to get sober vs staying sober...
Old 09-09-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beccybean said it best, and it doesn't matter how old you are, when that AV starts acting up I get restless, irritable and discontent. So I'd say that the AV is NOT in fact dormant but getting ready for another go at it.

When I quit, I hated everyone and everything. Little and big, it didn't matter, they set me off. I had to pay attention to it. Practicing relaxing. Breathing. You can get through this.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I thought I would start growing out of my temper but at 35 I don't think that's happening. I told myself last time I was feeling this way and overreacted that next time I would wait to respond to anything. I didn't and I sent that email and now I feel worse.
This is the stuff that AA has helped me through (when you look at the steps, the first one deals with alcohol, and the rest deal with life beyond alcohol). Fear; anxiety; resentment - they're pretty big hooks to be caught up on. I have no idea what the e-mail was about, but chances are that you can put this right by pushing your ego aside and either forgiving or apologising. Not that either of those things is 'easy', but they are possible so it's not the end of the world.

Hope you're feeling better today