Keeping it simple

Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping it simple

Tonight I didn't make the laps around my neighborhood. Instead I made chocolate chip cookies with my son and right now we're watching TV together. I did finish my resume and applied for new job just in case the judge has a problem with me wrking the night shift. It would be straight days no weekends or holidays and no patient care which I absolutely love but I will do anything to keep my son.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Simple is usually best.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Sounding super-constructive G. Is it getting easier now, cos you sound so much better?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, each day is a little easier still have my moments. But it's getting easier. I just put on my planner to go for bike ride after I wake up this evening. Still trying to adjust to having a middle schooler plus his and mines homework schedule. But hey I could be worrying about worse things right?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

gcolema.....this is a little off topic...but I really marvel at today's parents. It seems that the burden is so much heavier than when my kids were school age and very different than when I was a kid!
It seems that today's kids' homework becomes the parent's homework, also. I often hear a mother say....."I have a school project tonight" or "I have a big paper due"---and they are talking about their kids!
I can remember that my homework was mine and my parents never reminded me or "checked" it or even asked me bout it. It was just understood that I would do what needed done. Of course, if I had a p roblem, I could have gone to them....but it was never necessary.
With my own kids....pretty much the same....except for a few occassions when they complained of not understanding something...then, of course, I helped them to get it. I would often ask them to tell me about something they were learning....but, I never had to schedule m y time around their homework.
I made good grades and so did my kids. So, I don't feel too guilty....lol!
When did it change so much??
Honestly, I don't know how mothers do it these days.....I'm not sure that I could do it. I think that the stress of raising school aged kids has increased to such a level in today's world. Geez.

I am just rambling....but, your post triggered me to think about that.........
dandylion
Old 09-11-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh wow Dandy...that is so right! My daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to private school, so she does have small classes and a lot of individual attention. It also means the grading scale is harder, and that the homework is MUCH more. I know b/c I also have one in public school. My 4th grader is mildly dyslexic, so it's an even bigger struggle b/c they do a lot of memory work and spelling tests, which is a huge struggle for a dyslexic child. I keep her at private school b/c she loves the school, has great teachers, and a very small class size.

That being said, I spend an hour to an hour and a half every single night on homework w/her. This year it's lots of quizzing and things like that, she cannot do it herself. It's really frustrating b/c I get off at 5:00 and by the time I pick them both up it's 5:45. It does not leave a lot of time to do much else in the evenings.

Hats off to all the moms and dads who are going through this, especially if you are doing it alone.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dandy you are so right about the homework experience of yester year bc it was the same for me as well. My job per say was my homework and the exception was that it needed to be done so I did it. My oldest is severely dyslexic so homework used to take us hours to do ugh. My youngest is not dyslexic so it makes the homework process so much easier than years ago with my oldest.