Notices

Lightheaded

Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightheaded

I haven't been drinking that long. Four months. But it has been on a daily basis. When I drink I go hard in the paint. Black out at least three times a week. Three days ago I was at work and got extreme lightheaded. I usually don't drink during the day and this was late afternoon. Now the lightheadedness is coming earlier in the day and lasting longer. The weird thing about this is that loud noises and people talking loud exasperates it. Could this be alcohal withdrawal?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mmmm could be. Could be dehydration too.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it could be. Try drinking Gatorade in the morning. Or stop drinking and see how you feel. Are you wanting to quit?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Twins,

yes - those sound like alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I remember I would be light headed and anxiety ridden early on in my drinking whenever I would stop. As time went on my withdrawal symptoms got worse and more scary. Everyone is different in how alcohol effects them. Drinking until black out is a bad sign that you probably have a problem with alcohol. The longer you drink the worse the withdrawal symptoms will start to get. If you are really concerned I would speak with your doctor. Do you want to quit drinking?
Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV. So no medical advice from me.

But I am an alcoholic, and therefore will offer advice on drinking.

If it's giving you problems, making you lightheaded, quit.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV. So no medical advice from me.

But I am an alcoholic, and therefore will offer advice on drinking.

If it's giving you problems, making you lightheaded, quit.
Pretty much no one can give you an answer and be sure they are 100% correct. If you are worried, then you might want to get a physical and routine bloodwork taken.

But yeah, if you THINK alcohol is giving you a problem then most likely it is. Usually people who dont have a problem, dont worry if theyve had too much, or worry about if they have a problem or not, and they usually dont seek help. For me, I sought help and still denied I had a true problem. Then I strung together almost 9 weeks of sober time and decided I didnt have a problem. Guess what... I have a problem.

If you have a problem with drinking, dont be embarrassed, just do something about it.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Hawk07;5548373]Hi yes I do want to quit. I quit in 07 but even then I wouldn't drink every day. I don't know if I'm making up for lost time
Old 09-08-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you monitored your blood pressure? Might want to check it out.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Twinsfan
Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Twinsfan1;5548385]
Originally Posted by Hawk07 View Post
Hi yes I do want to quit. I quit in 07 but even then I wouldn't drink every day. I don't know if I'm making up for lost time
Well alcoholism is progressive so the longer you drink, the more you'll find yourself drinking. You will need to come up with a plan on how you're going to stop. Any ideas? How long did you stop drinking in 07 and what did you do then? Joining Sober Recovery is a great start already.
This is a great community to find support and advice on your path to sobriety. Familiarize yourself with all the forums on here. Check out the 'stickies' you'll see at the top of every forum. Read other peoples stories and experiences in the threads.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes my anxiety would make me feel like that. There can be so much noise in our own heads, that anything extra can tip us over the edge.

If you think it might be this, then something that helps me is to go somewhere quiet and bring myself back to the current moment. Closing my eyes and focussing on what I can feel; smell and hear. If my mind wanders to thinking about other stuff I gently blow it away (imagining it as a cloud or bubble that can be blown away).