Notices

New Here

Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I have been thinking of quitting or at least drastically cutting back for a while. I am tired of the hang overs, large bar/restaurant tabs, weight gain and not doing what I want to do because I am too hung over.

I don't drink every day, most often I don't go near during the work week but on Friday and Saturday night its become game on for me and the wife. This weekend alone was 4 bottles of wine and two bottles of Vodka. We are tired of it. The challenge is its an easy way to pass time. The wife has a bit more control than I do but we tend to "feed" on each othher.

I need to break the habit. If I can just make it through the weekend I am sure things will get better. Only issue is it has been years since I have made it through the weekend. I am thinking of going camping this weekend and not taking anything with us. Any advice?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well one thing is "People, places, things"- as in avoid the situations where you would normally drink. And support. You can get a lot of support at SR and some do well with in person stuff like AA. Welcome to SR!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi crm114

I'm new to this site, but have been in recovery for just about 2 years. I was first court ordered to stop drinking because of a DUI (2 actually... within a year), but about 6 months in, I made the decision to do it for myself. I can tell you in my program, I HAD to stay away from things that triggered my need or want to drink. I wasn't an every day drinker. Probably twice a month. But when I did drink, it didn't stop. So I assessed my situations and decided where I knew I couldn't go. And I stayed away until I felt comfortable around them. I also don't go anywhere if I don't have an "out". If I do not have a definite way of leaving a place when I need to, I don't even bother going. It's not worth it to me. My recovery is the most important. And I like I said before I didn't even drink often (in regards to days in a month), but the amount I drank in one evening could have killed me. Binge drinking= still a problem. For me anyways.

My best advice is, if you would like to go camping- just assess the situation. Do you drink when you go camping normally? I guess if you do, I would question going- for now. While you are trying to quit. And like sleepie had mentioned, in person groups help tremendously too. AA was a blessing in disguise for me. I can't get enough of it. There is major support there too.

Best of luck to you!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Also, if you're trying to quit for the first couple of weeks you might want to avoid situations that would be stressful or triggers to drink. Is camping something that you are comfortable with? Or would it stress you out so much that you'd want to drink? Anything that gets you away from The Routine could work if it's pleasant.

I love camping, but it stresses my wife out. Hence camping is more a solitary thing for me.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try making a bet with eachother, or setting a forfeit as a couple. Whoever caves in first and suggests a drink loses.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CRM welcome!
Its great that you both want to quit, or cut back (which as an alcoholic I am incapable of doing over a long stretch of time ). For me I've always known that complete abstinence was the only way...and I've tested that theory many times and failed. In recovery circles you'll hear 'half measures availed us nothing' and I believe that. For me its an all or nothing deal. I guess you can try moderation and see if that works. Or maybe just quit, one day at a time, and see if your life and health improve? Good luck!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, crm. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I guess you can try moderation and see if that works. Or maybe just quit, one day at a time, and see if your life and health improve? Good luck!
I don't know if its the smartest way to look at things or not but I am viewing it as quitting smoking. I still get the urge but once I was over the hump I can control the urge or give in if I want but I don't smoke every day or even every month at that. I can have 1-2 cigirettes and put it away.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

crm 14 - Welcome , For me moderation was just a game of cat & mouse . Sometimes the mouse would get away , other times it was sure Death !! Which honestly that's what I was looking at in the end
No offence I hope . Best thing is your both doing it together "Lovely " Enjoy
Old 09-08-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Crm
Old 09-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're very welcome here. Make yourself at home
Old 09-08-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi CRM, I can very much relate to breaking the cycle. I think its pretty common and you are not alone. It can be done, people do it every day. It requires discipline and effort, but the rewards are worth it. Try it, and I think you will agree with me. It also sounds like you are ready to do something different. 48 hrs of drunk every week is probably not a very fun existence.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How does your wife feel about quitting? If she has no desire to quit drinking, it's going to be tougher for you.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Crm!!